Arachnophobes, do not click on this.

This is a discussion on Arachnophobes, do not click on this. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As some of you know, I have tarantulas. I had six (one died of old age), so that leaves me with five fuzzy friends. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arachnophobes, do not click on this.

VIP Member

Arachnophobes, do not click on this.

As some of you know, I have tarantulas. I had six (one died of old age), so that leaves me with five fuzzy friends. The smallest has a 3.5 inch legspan, and the biggest is around 9" or so.

The big one is Shelob, my Goliath Birdeating tarantula (T. blondi), which is the world record species as the largest spider. She will hiss by rubbing her legs together, and is capable of flicking her urticating abdomen hairs at you. Her fangs are around 3/4" long.

The bright orange one is Shiva (P. murinus), and don't make her angry. She can run like greased lightning, and can run up smooth glass and up on ceilings. Like other redheads, she has an attitude. She mostly prefers to stay hidden in her burrow until it's dark. (They mostly come out at night... mostly...) Being an Old World species, she does not flick hairs, so she just runs or bites. Biting in self-defense is a last resort for a tarantula.

Tango (L. cristata) is skitterish and unpredictable, but is a beautiful glossy black with white stripes and flaming red abdomen. She grows really fast. She'll flick butt hairs, too. What do tarantula butt hairs feel like imbedded in your skin? Like rolling around in a fiberglas air filter.

Hobbes (C. fasciatum)is my smallest tarantula, and is busy webbing up it's entire tank. Parts are so solid white I can't see through. Hobbes is black with salmon pink tiger stripes.

Houdini (G. rosea) likes to try to escape, but I make sure everybody's tank lids are secure - as much as I love my spiders, I don't want one darting up my leg in the middle of the night. He's the only known male in my bunch, and since his ultimate molt (grows mating spurs and longer front legs), he only has a year to live. He's brown, metallic pink/copper and has metallic green accents on his legs. This is an older pic of him.

This was Heinlein (A. avicularia), who has long since passed away of old age. Depending on the species and gender, some can live to 35 years. Heinlein was an arboreal tarantula, and could climb and jump from branch to branch with ease. He was a deep, metallic blue.

Sweet dreams.
    Last edited by Betty; February 24th, 2005 at 09:30 PM.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

DAng gonna dream the bed is crawling all night .. Some big spiders

Administrator

Actually Betty ~ They are really amazing creatures. It's a truly mind~frothingly bizarre & wonderful world that we live in.
    Some of your photos of them are really exceptional also.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

And I thought I had trouble sleeping last night....
    think tonight I'll have a Really Big Boot nearby, and maybe the Garand too...

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Heck woman, during the peak of the 'bad time,' I had spiders bigger than that.

As I was 'ramping up' on resperdal (ask Will if I spelled that correctly) all I wanted to do was sleep. I envisioned spiders with bodies larger than a softball, with legs as wide as a toilet-paper-tube, and over eighteen inches long. They were trying to get my pillow.

Finally, I had it out with the big *****. I yelled at her as she crept up the bottom of my bed. I grabbed my pillow, flung it, and conked her hard enough to bounce her onto the floor.

I shouted loud enough for everyone to hear, "Here, if you want the damn thing, you eight-legged sack of poison ovaries, take it! Just let me sleep!"

I dozed for over three days. When I awoke, my meds guy put me on Geodon.

(I didn't take to Geodon any better, but we refer to that time as "the era of the cackling penguins...")

Lead Moderator
    Aside from the obvious....... Good grief woman!

What kind of camera and lens are you using? Great detail in those pictures. (Almost too much!)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    All of those pictures were taken with a Nikon Coolpix 4300, a very good, no-frills 4MP digicam (since upgraded to a 5MP Nikon 5200). I have some good macro shots of fangs somewhere....

Here's a very lovely picture of an A. versicolor from bighairyspiders.com

photo bighairyspiders.com

How about a tactical camo spider?

photo bighairyspiders.com
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I consider myself a _huge_ animal fan. I have the following in my 'collection':
    3 dogs, cat, parrot, cockatiel, rabbit, hamster, 120g marine reef aquarium, 58g freshwater aquarium, 29g clownfish tank, 250g koi pond, betta bowl, 3 turtles, and a rosy boa constrictor...

Your 'pets' give me the willies :P Beautifull animals, very interesting, but I couldn't take a spider, no way. To each their own, I guess :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Beautiful spiders Betty, I use to keep the small orb weavers (fantastic webs) and even Black Widows(not a good choice unless you live alone;)). I no longer keep invertebrates, just Reptiles now:)

VIP Member
    While apartment hunting, I was refused at one place because "we can't assume the liability of exotic tarantulas, because we don't want to be responsible if one of the maintenence men gets bitten and dies."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    All of those pictures were taken with a Nikon Coolpix 4300, a very good, no-frills 4MP digicam (since upgraded to a 5MP Nikon 5200). I have some good macro shots of fangs somewhere....
    OK! I was wondering, I have the first, a Nikon Coolpix 900, but I've been "lusting" after their new 8800. I don't think I've used my old "F" body in years. Digital is just too easy.

Rick
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Good Lord! I thought my dogs were bad.

Bitten and dies? Dies of fright, maybe. Tarantula poison? Not a chance, unless very young, old, or seriously infirm. Tarantulas are not deliberately dangerous to humans, like scorpions, (kill them all, I say), are, and the ones I have met go far out of thier way to avoid confrontation.
    I have two dogs, and two cats, and wouldn't have spiders as pets, but tarantulas are pretty cool, living, as I do, here in thier native habitat...
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

feeding T's is loads of fun. at least when you feed them baby mice. [evil grin]

unlike some people that feed measly smelly crickets to theirs. heh.

i've tried scorpions, not much luck. finicky eaters, gone through 4 or 5 black emporers and only one of my two flatrocks is still alive. they also are more prone to having parasites. my scorps that died all generated loads of tiny bugs, as opposed to my T's that died and no bugs feasted on them.

Red face

I enjoyed looking at Betty's pictures....I don't see many around here anymore, but when I was a kid they seemed to be all over the place. During 4th of July, our family would go out to Benbrook Lake in Ft. Worth to watch the fireworks, and I can remember driving across the dam and seeing literally hundreds of them jumping across to the other side of the road...obviously a lot couldn't sustain the weight of cars ! Don't know what species they were, but we had a couple at our Sherman house that lived under the driveway. I'd go out in the evenings with a flashlight and watch em....kinda cool! No, I don't harm them, they're good for the environment, and they don't need my help to dwindle the population....progress is doing that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links