Video from Broward County, Florida regarding identity theft

This is a discussion on Video from Broward County, Florida regarding identity theft within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is one I hadn't thought about...until now Broward County, Floridal...

Thread: Video from Broward County, Florida regarding identity theft

Video from Broward County, Florida regarding identity theft

This is one I hadn't thought about...until now
    Broward County, Floridal

2. Remove Ads

Good tip. I assume my wife doesn't do this but I will check when I see her later.

BTW, when the video started and the Sherrif said 'hello' it made my little dog jump out of her skin, I had to pause it as I was laughing so much.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post

BTW, when the video started and the Sherrif said 'hello' it made my little dog jump out of her skin, I had to pause it as I was laughing so much.
    Your dog is astute. Sheriff Jenne is a staunch Anti-gunner who does not mind lying to ban weapons from civilian possesion.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Good tips. I've done these for years:
    • Windows up. Always.
    • Doors locked. Always.
    • Unlock the driver's door only, when entering/exiting.
    • If leaving the car even for a moment, ensure all doors are locked and the alarm is turned on. (Keyless entry/alarm works great, for this.)
    • Lock the door immediately upon re-entering.
    • Zero valuables left inside the car, including the registration, insurance, my wallet, any papers with any personally-identifiable data on it.
    • Never leave the keys in the car. Ever.
    • Visually scan the area immediately prior to exiting a car, to guard against carjacking.
    • Visually scan the area continuously during pumping gas. Monitor all inbound vehicles and pedestrians.

I've had two attempted carjackings, both of which failed due to the above precautions. I've had several instances where someone approached on foot, while I was outside the car. Monitoring the approach gave me options I would not otherwise have had. One instance required that I put the door physically between me and the person, as an assault was about to unfold; he backed down immediately after seeing I was prepared to defend (and the hand sliding into the pocket for the S&W 442 didn't hurt). I have yet to have personally-identifying papers or data stolen, to the best of my knowledge.

Regarding my personal data and accounts:
    • If a card must be used, use only a ccard in the field, as charges are covered by the ccard company if fraudulent.
    • If a card must be used, use only ccard "swipe" machines in the hands of an attendant or cashier, given the simple fact that the attendant must be "in" on the scam otherwise (which happens).
    • Use cash whenever possible.
    • Maintain a fraud alert on my bank accounts and ccard account, to reduce risk.
    • Change bank accounts every 2yrs or so, so that the identifying cards I am carrying are changing.
    • Maintain a direct-deposit setup with my payroll check from the company I work for.
    • Maintain a minimal balance in the checking account, with the savings account not linked electronically, requiring a physical transfer via a human teller in order to transfer funds. This is a pain, but it's the only way I know of to reduce the risk of my bank's balance being siphoned in a minute should the account ever be compromised. Critical, 'cause this eliminates the electronic ability to siphon the accounts dry, should a criminal gain electronic access to my account.
    • Carry my car's registration, insurance and everything else in my wallet, on my person. Nothing left in the car.
    • Never leave personally-identifying papers or data anywhere, such as envelopes left at the post office trash.
    • On any piece of junk mail or other documents being trashed, first cull the papers to ensure all personally-identifying data is removed and placed into a separate bag.
    • Maintain a burn bag, to incinerate all discarded papers that contain personally-identifying data.

It's not foolproof, but in a few months, these simple steps become easy to maintain. In the end, I hope it changes up the mix, a bit, so that a criminal won't have a gravy train to work from.

Now, these steps are fine and dandy, and they do reduce the risk. I ran this list by someone I know in the sheriff's department. He's the head of the fraud unit. He still thought a "good" criminal could get past these steps, but that it should knock out about 90% of the basic attempts, via simply withdrawing so many basic points of contact. That's good enough for me, 'cause anything more is going to be a serious pain to maintain. These items, though, have simply become a part of the routine ... much like keeping two trash cans (garbage, recycling).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Definitely a problem in SE Florida....several of my cases involve some (or a lot of) identity theft, use of fraudulent ID's, etc.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Links