Smoking Bans

Smoking Bans

This is a discussion on Smoking Bans within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm wondering what you all think about smoking bans. I've never used tobacco, but my reaction is and . To me, the scientific evidence just ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Bans

Smoking Bans

I'm wondering what you all think about smoking bans.

I've never used tobacco, but my reaction is and .

To me, the scientific evidence just isn't there. I don't think people should use legislation to stop an annoyance.

These are probably the same people who are in favor of banning assault weapons/homeland security weapons without any real evidence that they're bad.

Please feel welcome to disagree with me.

I don't smoke, I don't mind if anyone else does. It's just a sign of weakness to me though, if I see someone smoking I assume they are a little stupid to do that when everyone is aware of the risks now.

In Britain they still have a socialized healthcare system, you don't pay a hospital bill but instead they pay for it from taxes. Well cigarettes are about $8 per pack of 20 over there because of the 'luxury tax' and all that extra tax revenue is what pays for the hospitals. They're proposing a similar tax (but a lot less) here in TN, probably to pay for education. I think that is fine.

If you're crazy enough to breathe in burning chemicals and plants then you should be taxed for the benefit of others.

VIP Member
    I smoke cigars occasionally. These types of bans are all the same, it's their way of exerting control over you.

No matter if it's smoking, guns, trans fats, goose liver, obesity, racial profiling, etc.....it's all about control.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    I smoke a pipe and am ever conscious of the imposition that can make in certain places. I am very aware of those who dislike smoking.

My problems come when the element of choice is taken away such that as in some places/areas - it is mandated that there shall be no smoking - period! I feel that outdoors is OK and need not discomfort any non smokers.

A local restaurant my wife and i use still has one end as ''smoking'' but - it is rare I smoke inside the place even so. We even now keep our house smoke free and go on porch for a ''fix''.

I can accept compromize but no way will readily accept across the board bans - that is way too much control.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I smoke a pipe
    Well you did say you were eccentric.

Assistant Administrator
    Well you did say you were eccentric
    Correctamundo But not BTW wealthy!
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I smoke. Quite a bit. I will always ask those around me if its alright and forget about if its not. I don't smoke around those who can't stand it and genuinely feel bad if it makes someone else uncomfortable.

Yeah, it causes cancer. Duh. We've known that for damned near 700 years. I think legislating someone's habits though is absolutely retarted. If I want to do something, let me do it.

Another poster hit it right one the head with "Its all about control."
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

The city where I live is considering making all restaurants smoke free, with the exception of the restaurant having a separate enclosed "smoking" room.
    In my opinion, it's wrong for the government to instate a ruling that interferes with private business. It should be left up to the discretion of the OWNER. The OWNER should not be forced to make costly modifications to keep the business of regular customers, unless THEY choose to do so.
    My two cents.
    Signed,
    A non-smoker.

I DON'T smoke, but as far as I'm concerned all you smokers have my vote to tell the government to shove their ban where the sun don't shine! We don't need any more bans, or laws, or any other stupid nonsensical approach to totalitarian control in this country. Perhaps an accross the board politician ban would suffice?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I don't smoke except for an extremely rare cigar at special events, I used to dip Copenhagen, but haven't had a pinch for going on 4 months now.

I don't agree with smoking bans, Ohio has a statewide one, and before that Columbus had one for a couple years. All it does for a city is loses them money because people who smoke (about 20% of the population) just head outside the city limits to somewhere they can smoke. For the state it is a little harder for some people to do that, but those on the borders do.

I spend probably 5 nights a week in bars (working mostly) and it is kind of odd to see people have to go outside to smoke instead of having a cigarette with their beer at the bar. Something about the situation just doesn't quite seem right. Ohio had a couple of bans in the last election, and one of them would have allowed business owners to make the choice, the other was an outright ban, the outright ban won.

I don't like the government trying to control personal habits (serious criminal activity is one thing, smoking bans are something else).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Florida Heads Up The Pack On This One...

Smoking is banned in ALL bars and eating establishments. I don't mind if others want to smoke their brains out...go for it! I used to hate trying to eat in a smoke filled room (the smoking area just didn't cut it).

No one says much about it...as it is a state-wide ban. It has not cost businesses because all businesses are effected in the same way. My smoking friends (a few) seem to accept it, and it has caused some to quit smoking...

Want to smoke? Take it outside! (Don't mean to offend the smokers here...just don't think I should have to be stuck in the same room while they enjoy THEIR habit.)

I hate to see drivers puffing up a storm with kids in the car...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Want to smoke? Take it outside!
    I disagree. I stand by the concept that the business OWNER should decide what happens in their establishment (private property). If you don't want to smell smoke, you as a paying consumer, are free to take your business elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Correctamundo But not BTW wealthy!
    Eccentric?? Not rich??

Only Rich wierd people can be eccenrtic. Weird people who aren't rich are are just weird.

Kinda like, an old chrysler is an old car, but an old Mercedes is vintage.

When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Assistant Administrator
    Weird people who aren't rich are are just weird
    Guilty as charged then But vintage too - I'll claim that
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
    I disagree. I stand by the concept that the business OWNER should decide what happens in their establishment (private property). If you don't want to smell smoke, you as a paying consumer, are free to take your business elsewhere.
    That would work fine if every town had lots of small but identical businesses, but the reality is that if you want to eat out in a small town your choices are limited, and if the management of the chain restaurant are some faceless board of directors out in NY who don't know the local market then things can get removed from the interest of the consumer.

Majority rules, as most smokers are conscientious enough to acknowledge. What the majority wants is what is best suited to that particular group.

We had a joke when I was younger.
    A guy in a restaurant pulls out a cigarette and asks the diners at the table next to him "mind if I smoke?"
    One of them, a big guy, smiles and says "No, of course I don't mind if you indulge yourself in your after dinner vice, and in the process blow the smoke all over me."
    The first guy smiles nervously but lights up.
    The second guy carries on. "Of course I like a few pints of beer after my meal and you won't mind if I stand on your table and piss on you , will you?"

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links