All the work on my rescue dog is paying off...

This is a discussion on All the work on my rescue dog is paying off... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have posted a little bit about my dogs here in the past. I have German Shepherds; one is trained in a few different disciplines, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All the work on my rescue dog is paying off...

Administrator

All the work on my rescue dog is paying off...**pics added**

I have posted a little bit about my dogs here in the past. I have German Shepherds; one is trained in a few different disciplines, and have enjoyed training and watching him develop. He is getting old now, he's almost 10.
    This past spring, I found another Shepherd in need of a home. Normally I would have not even looked at him, but he had spark. So, I brought him home. He was a mess. Fearful, nervous, shy and submissive urination were all problems for him. These are all signs of major problems in a GSD. The breeder wanted to put him down.
    I worked him anyway, but just in basic obedience. His confidence needed some major boosting, my wife and I help him along with that too.
    'Otto' is now a year old... I took him out to the training field today for the first time and met up with some experienced handlers.
    Wow is all I got to say... This dog came a long way! No fear was shown; he backed down from no threat! He even bit the sleeve today! His obedience was flawless, and he made me proud.
    You guys who know dogs know what a major accomplishment for Otto this is. I had no intentions of training him in shutzhund, tracking, or any sort of protection work, but after today I am thinking about it.
    Otto just needs to talk me into it... itís a lot of work.

I just wanted to share my excitement..
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 26th, 2007 at 11:29 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Sounds good SIXTO. I like dogs but my dad doesn't hence, I never had one around growing up. I've always wanted a German Shepard, I think they are cool dogs.

Keep us updated and let us know how things go in the future.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    SIXTO, as a dog person I congratulate you and thank you for taking the time and effort to rescue one of our canine friends. We keep three at all times. We aren't choosy on what they are, we just find one that suits our fancy and big him home. We have been back here in Alabama almost 12 years and we came back with a registered Shelty who was probably the smartest dog I have ever known. After about 8 months I saw a little stray that I just could not resist and so he came home with me. About a year later he sort of adopted a Golden Retriever mix, that's a story in itself. In late 2001 our Shelty died and we found another stray to fit in. In 03 the Golden died and we got a Yellow Lab stray to fill in the gap. Our original stray is still with us and come April he will have been with us 11 years. Several times we have wondered if we really need to have 3 dogs, but each time there has been a vacancy we have filled it and not regretted it.

Again thanks for sharing.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Administrator
    dr, I seem to end up with dogs when the last thing I need is another dog. I have always been a dog guy. I even converted my wife who hated dogs... she loves them now.
    I have an old bird dog too. I got him from a relative who could not get him to work... I have hunted over him for at least 8 years now. He's slowing down now, but he has proven to be a good dog.
    My point in all the rambling is that you get out of a dog what you put in. I will never be without a dog.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Great. I enjoy time with my family dog, but no real training other than hunting. Way to go.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator

Thumbs up

SIXTO...another doggie lover person here.
    You're a good man.

Congrats on your work with your dog. I know how proud you are.

I like dogs too. Here is one of mine from a few weeks back. She got her first two of four qualifiers for her JH title. My daughter was pretty proud of her too. I hope to finish her title this weekend.

sadie ribbons jpeg.JPG
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I'm not a dog trainer but I as a younger person grew up with GS dogs that would kill for me with no training, just natural instinct. Gotta love em.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Congrats on your work with your dog. I know how proud you are.

I like dogs too. Here is one of mine from a few weeks back. She got her first two of four qualifiers for her JH title. My daughter was pretty proud of her too. I hope to finish her title this weekend.

sadie ribbons jpeg.JPG
    Bird dogs are my first love... when my current bird dog goes to the big bean field in the sky, I will look for a german shorthair. I'll have all german dogs then, I'll have to come up with more german names.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Bird dogs are my first love... when my current bird dog goes to the big bean field in the sky, I will look for a german shorthair. I'll have all german dogs then, I'll have to come up with more german names.
    German names are easy. We give all of our dogs long names like the registered dogs have and then call them what we call them. But I am amazed how often the names have a German content to them. The Golden Retriever was in bad shape when we got him and so my wife called him Scruffy. Then I had to come up with the official name. My choice: Baron Manfred von Scruffmuffin. It works. The dog that we got after the Shelty is a Bull Terrier/Bassett Hound. He has very big ears and so we called him Bing (after Bing Crosby who also had big ears). His real name has der Bingle in it. That is what Bing Crosby was called in Germany. Add a der or a von and you have a German name.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Nice work.

I have trained my lab to chew through walls and to eat anything important. He also has really gotten the barking incessantly thing down pat.

Good Dog!

By the way.... any one want a lab?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Administrator
    Your lab needs a job. He's bored and possibly lonely.

Take him swimming, even this time of year.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Your lab needs a job. He's bored and possibly lonely.

Take him swimming, even this time of year.
    You are exactly right. He has a buddy (chow) and they both stay outside year round. They are really are good dogs. I love them both, but just don't have... or take the time to spend with them.

My lab does really well on leash. I have done some training with him and he really responds well. Very smart.

He does not do well off the leash. I know it takes a lot of work. I would love to have a hunting buddy and I swore I ws going to get out and walk with him this winter. I just haven't done it.

My boy is 2 and I would really like him to grow up with a dog. My lab is just too big and now he is accustomed to being outdoors. I need a little lap dog for him.

I would love to find a good home for mine.
    Last edited by BIG E; February 26th, 2007 at 12:23 AM.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Sixto:

You, your family and Otto all deserve a big "Congratulations"!! Great work! It's very very hard to rehabilitate a fearful GSD, so you've done a fantastic job.

Hat's off to ya'll!

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Yep. Nothing worse than a bored dog. Labs need a lot of attention. They want nothing more than to follow you everywhere. Treat them right, and they will be the best friend you have ever had. Ignore them, and they will chew and dig like there is no tomorrow.

I can certainly appreciate what you've done with Otto, Sixto. Nate (above) was supposed to be a hunting dog, but he is gun shy and I have never been able to break him of it. At 4 years old now, he has become the best family dog I have ever had. I trained him to fetch birds, and he is as good as any dog I have ever seen, so long as there are no guns around.

He can also find things. We hide his Kong on him all the time. It is his favorite game. You simply cannot hide it anywhere that he won't find it within a minute or two. His best trick though is diving for rocks at the lake. You throw it, and he brings it back; even if it sinks.

He sleeps right outside my bedroom door every night. Funniest thing about him is that he knows that he is the dog. If you say the word dog, even in casual conversation he comes running.

Sorry for the hijack. I really love my dog.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links