Sales Tax

Sales Tax

This is a discussion on Sales Tax within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I buy and sell steel , products everyday and have a Re-Sale Tax ID # . I am putting a service truck together for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Sales Tax

VIP Member

Sales Tax

I buy and sell steel , products everyday and have a Re-Sale Tax ID # . I am putting a service truck together for a customer with a custom ladder rack , tool boxes , and a Honda generator .

So i go to a Honda dealer ( 2 in fact ) and neither will honor my sales tax number . So now i pay a 60.00 tax and the customer pays a 60.00 tax . And the dealer thinks this makes sense .
    He proceeds to tell me that if he was buying from me i would charge him tax , i said no i won't if you have a resale number . SMH i still have to buy this item so i guess the state wins again .

Sorry for the rant .
    Last edited by welder516; Yesterday at 02:50 PM. Reason: spppellling
    Member of the NRA
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you want to destroy something .

So, two out of two don't understand the tax requirements. Can't imagine not a single generator seller would. There's got to be one in the region that would get it. Perhaps a wholesaler, instead of a retailer.
    welder516 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Expense it on your business return - just a matter of timing.
    welder516 likes this.

VIP Member
    By the time i get to a place that won't charge the tax the amount of time and effort i just paid the tax . 60.00 tax and i will again pass a mark up plus the tax again . I was just trying to save my customer down the road .
    It was more important to be sensible with my customers money as most of the time they never ask for a price for work we do . I lose a battle here and there but keep plugging along .
    nedrgr21 and redbirddog5 like this.
    Member of the NRA

Senior Moderator
    Sorry. We have idiots everywhere.
    welder516 likes this.

"He went on two legs, wore clothes and was a human being, but nevertheless he was in reality a wolf of the Steppes. He had learned a good deal . . . and was a fairly clever fellow. What he had not learned, however, was this: to find contentment in himself and his own life. The cause of this apparently was that at the bottom of his heart he knew all the time (or thought he knew) that he was in reality not a man, but a wolf of the Steppes."

I saw this thread 2 hours ago and could have hit it. I chose instead to leave it ALONE as I know myself when Sales Tax enters to it. You're much more mellow than I would be Welder.
    welder516 likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I saw this thread 2 hours ago and could have hit it. I chose instead to leave it ALONE as I know myself when Sales Tax enters to it. You're much more mellow than I would be Welder.
    NONAME , The customer said he wanted a Honda 2000 inverter generator bottom line i keep my customer happy . I also could have had my brother that lives in DE. to buy it > (no tax there) but needed sooner then later .
    Plus as the saying goes time is money .

I just hate the State of Maryland get two taxes on one item and i have all the documents to buy tax free . They would sell to the Government and None profit without tax but to me a Big No . SMH
    Member of the NRA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    I buy and sell steel , products everyday and have a Re-Sale Tax ID # . I am putting a service truck together for a customer with a custom ladder rack , tool boxes , and a Honda generator .

So i go to a Honda dealer ( 2 in fact ) and neither will honor my sales tax number . So now i pay a 60.00 tax and the customer pays a 60.00 tax . And the dealer thinks this makes sense .
    He proceeds to tell me that if he was buying from me i would charge him tax , i said no i won't if you have a resale number . SMH i still have to buy this item so i guess the state wins again .

Sorry for the rant .
    Don't charge your customer tax on the item...it is a non taxable item to your customer...the tax has already been paid on the item. You sell it to your customer at the price you were charge since the tax has already been paid. If it cost you $1060, you charge your customer $1060 non-taxable and you mark the item as a non-taxable sale so that the tax is only paid once...paid by you through the Honda dealership who transfers your payment to the State. You recoup your costs by charging your client the full price you paid but you don't pass anything along to the State because Honda is the one who is responsible for making that payment to the State. Everything you charge...$1060...is yours to keep because it is a non-taxable sale.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Don't charge your customer tax on the item...it is a non taxable item to your customer...the tax has already been paid on the item. You sell it to your customer at the price you were charge since the tax has already been paid. If it cost you $1060, you charge your customer $1060 non-taxable and you mark the item as a non-taxable sale so that the tax is only paid once...paid by you through the Honda dealership who transfers your payment to the State. You recoup your costs by charging your client the full price you paid but you don't pass anything along to the State because Honda is the one who is responsible for making that payment to the State. Everything you charge...$1060...is yours to keep because it is a non-taxable sale.
    That makes sense , but i have another 3,000.00 to 4,000.00 in materials in equipping this truck when it is said and done . It is harder for me to separate the charges . If it was the only item i might do that but i need to keep my records right as well .
    Member of the NRA

Sounds like you got a taste of a VAT tax. Here's an article on why it's such a great idea and you should be happy to pay that extra $60..

Commentary: Why the U.S. Should Adopt a Value-Added Tax - US News
    welder516 likes this.
    "...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."

– Captain Bellamy

VIP Member
    Maxwell97 , that is a very interesting article and it is exactly what happened . Further down the chain the price keeps going up and final destination Wham ........................
    maxwell97 likes this.
    Member of the NRA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    That makes sense , but i have another 3,000.00 to 4,000.00 in materials in equipping this truck when it is said and done . It is harder for me to separate the charges . If it was the only item i might do that but i need to keep my records right as well .
    All you have to do is breakout the one charge for the generator.

Labor + tax on labor + Material + tax on material + Non-taxable material (generator) = total cost to your client

$1000 labor + $60 tax on labor + $4000 Material + $240 tax on material + $1060 Non-taxable material = $6360 total cost to your client

You then owe $300 to the State...$60 tax on labor + $240 tax on material = $300

You keep $6060...$1000 labor + $4000 material + $1060 Non-taxable material = $6060

This is just an example using a 6% tax rate.
    welder516 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    What is this "sales tax" you speak of?

welder516 likes this.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

Black Rifles Matter

I'm guessing your customer is using this unit for work. Therefore he will now have to charge more to his customers. People just don't understand that that the end user always pays the bill. Hopefully the Honda dealer will be an end user and have to pay more in the end. Most of the general public "Hey raise taxes and stick it to business" then..... "Why address groceries so expensive? " The end user general public always pays it in the end.
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

VIP Member
    I don't understand why they are doing this. When you file your MD sales tax on-line there's a line ( I think it's 2a) for tax exempt sales. It's so easy to fill in, what's their point of not doing it?

Maybe they collect the sales tax but call it a "tax exempt" sale. Keep the tax for themselves as a little perk.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links