'My Boys Like Shootouts. What's Wrong With That?'

This is a discussion on 'My Boys Like Shootouts. What's Wrong With That?' within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...022301749.html Good read, well worth your time to check this article out..... ....for some parents in my neighborhood, my kids and I are the risk ...

VIP Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...022301749.html

Good read, well worth your time to check this article out.....

....for some parents in my neighborhood, my kids and I are the risk to be avoided, even if it means removing their children when we show up at the park. The reason: toy guns......

....we turned our red wagon into a replica Conestoga wagon with real sewn canvas over wooden ribs, wooden water barrels, quarter horse -- and, yes, plastic rifles. It was a big hit and the kids won first prize for their age group. The celebration, however, was short lived. As soon as one mother spotted the toy rifles inside the wagon, she pulled her screaming children out of the event, announcing that she would not "expose them" to guns......

But then it happened again......

My 4-year-old son, Aidan, brought his orange Buzz Lightyear plastic ray gun to "the pit," as our neighborhood playground is known. As he began pursuing an evildoer -- his 6-year-old brother, Jack -- around the playground, a mother froze with an expression of utter revulsion. Glaring alternately from Aidan to me, she waited for a few minutes before grabbing her son and proclaiming loudly that he could not play there "if that boy is going to be allowed to play with guns."....

....To these parents, my wife and I are "gun-tolerant" and therefore corruptors of children who should be avoided.....

....Once, in a fit of exasperation, my wife gathered up all of the swords that the boys had acquired as gifts and threw them into the trash. When she returned to the house, she found that the boys had commandeered the celery from the refrigerator to finish their epic battle....

....they could raise her little brother, Carver, in a weapon-free house. Holley realized her error when she gave 10-month-old Carver a Barbie doll and truck one day. The little boy examined both and then proceeded to run Barbie over repeatedly with the truck. By 2, he was bending his sister's Barbies into L-shapes and using them as guns.....
    He goes on to examine how boys playing with toy guns or other weapons, is not a BAD thing.

He also reminds us of some of the stupidity of the 'anti-toy-gun crowd'.....
    In New Jersey, an 8-year-old boy used an L-shaped piece of paper in a game of cops and robbers during recess. School officials called the police, saying the child had threatened "to kill other students" by saying "pow pow" on the playground. He was held for five hours and forced to make two court appearances before charges were dropped. Two 8-year-old boys were charged with making "terrorist threats" after they were found pointing paper guns at classmates. Charges were later dropped.

In Texas, a 13-year-old girl was suspended and transferred to a school for problem kids after she brought a butter knife to school with her lunch. Her parents had packed the dull knife so that she could cut her apple to make it easier to eat because she wore braces.

In Arkansas, an 8-year-old boy was punished for pointing a cooked chicken strip at another student and saying "pow, pow, pow."

In Georgia, a 5-year-old student was suspended after he brought a plastic gun the size of a quarter to his kindergarten class.

Even drawing a picture is too close for comfort under these zero-tolerance policies. In Florida, two 10-year-olds were arrested after drawing stick figures considered to be threatening, and in Nevada, teachers tried unsuccessfully to expel a boy for drawing a cartoon of the death of his teacher.
    Article is a must read if you have kids, ESPECIALLY BOYS!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

· In Arkansas, an 8-year-old boy was punished for pointing a cooked chicken strip at another student and saying "pow, pow, pow."
    Assault with a chicken finger, thats a new one for me.

Back when I was growing up (not all that long ago), if it was summer and all the boys weren't outside running through the neighborhood with toy guns, the moms were worried something bad had happened.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

me

DANG

This world sure has changed in a short period of time. When I was in 7th grade, some 9 short years ago (aboutt the time of Colombine) my teachers gave each of us a small plastic squirt gun at the end of the year as a cool gift.

STUPIDITY IS REPRODUCING
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

*sigh*... idiots...

Whatever happened to letting kids play outside and use their imagination? Oh, right, now they're inside playing video games with other kids inside....

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Yeah I always played army as a little kid. So did all my friends. It was expected. If we ran out of guns, we used tree branches. I feel bad for kids growing up today. Its okay to blow stuff up and kill people in games on XBox.... but playing Army isn't acceptable? I don't see a problem with either one, to be honest... as long as the child understands the difference between real violence and pretend.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

We are turning our little boys into little girls in this country. It disgusts me! You know what I am getting my grand kids when they are old enough don't you? Yep, toy guns for both the boys and girls. Just let some pinhead YUPPIE say something to me about it at the park and they will get a lesson on civil liberties they will not soon forget.

As you may be able to tell this is a subject that boils my blood.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I gave my son a Pellet gun when he was six, we went out shooting on weekends together, I also taught him to shoot a 22 at the age of six.

When his mother sent him to Spain he took the Pellet gun with him.
    Growing up in Spain he was more into Asian Martial Arts then Guns, but he did say that he and his friends had a lot of fun with the Pellet gun. He new the differance between Toy gus and real guns by the time he was 4.

Children raised correctly don't seem to have problems knowing what is real and what is a toy.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    We are turning our little boys into little girls in this country. It disgusts me! You know what I am getting my grand kids when they are old enough don't you? Yep, toy guns for both the boys and girls. Just let some pinhead YUPPIE say something to me about it at the park and they will get a lesson on civil liberties they will not soon forget.

As you may be able to tell this is a subject that boils my blood.
    +1
    I think it's called Pussifacation of America

My brother's kids don't have TV. They're homeschooled, too. They've been turning everything they could get their hands on (in their minds) into something for their wargames that they play on the floor of their bedroom. For those who say boys only play with guns because they're trained to, they came to it 100% on their own.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

coming from an older brother with 6 younger siblings....

thats ludicrous. i remember my old m16 with real action sound!! i killed sooooo many people with that thing...

Schools Are Filled With Liberals...

Schools do STUPID things...and most of them are ruining our kids...

School unions do more damage (long term) to our country than terrorists...

Many school administrators (not all) have no balls and contribute to...or directly allow the situations we deal with today...

Granted, our schools are only a reflection of what is going on in society, but it takes guts to stand up and 'do things the right way'...most school don't/won't...and worry more about political correctness or 'votes'...just like other politicians.

School leaders set the tone for what happens in the district/building...

I speak from personal observations and experiences at all levels...

OMO

If I say any more...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Part of the problem, and a large one it is, is that over 60 % of kids attending school today come from broken families. The ones that do have "Dads" dint see them as their father and they dont respect them as they should. That is not the case in all, but it is the case in many.

Most of the kids that live in broken homes live with their Mothers. Although their Mom may be the best motherer in the world...those kids are still only getting HALF of the training that they should growing up.

I coached baseball for years while my two boys were growing up. The first time the team met and got on the field, it was very obvious who had Dads and who didn't. The ones that didn't threw the ball exactly as they had been taught...by their mothers. We all know that women throw differently than men, but these boys didn't. The first thing that me and my coaches did was teach them the proper way to throw.

This is the main reason that Americans are being "pussified" as one poster put it. The Dad that disciplines when needed is simply not there to teach. When a kid comes home bruised up in a fight, rather than the teach the kid how to fight and win, the Mom wants to sue the school district. One reason why most school principles and administrators dont have the stones to mess with them.

I see this in dealing with juveniles all the time when I am working as a Deputy. These kids have never had a dad put a boot in them when they needed it, and they have never gotten more then half of the equation and many of them have never gotten that much. Men are vastly different than women in their thought process. Kids need to hear BOTH sides of an issue, not just one.

Its is a large part of the moral decline of American and one that can only get worse. Is it any wonder why we are turning into a nation of sissies ?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links