Totally off topic, but gun related, and kind of funny.

This is a discussion on Totally off topic, but gun related, and kind of funny. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Alright, I know this site is centered around concealed carry and predominantly manned by men, but I'm sure this has happened before and there may ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally off topic, but gun related, and kind of funny.

Senior Moderator

Alright, I know this site is centered around concealed carry and predominantly manned by men, but I'm sure this has happened before and there may be some girlfriends, wives, female companions or the rare man who can shed some light on my predicament.

Yesterday, my husband decided he would clean the blade of a knife with Hoppes bore solvent, in our bedroom. (You can see where this is going, can't you?)

While reaching down to put the cap on the solvent after finishing cleaning the knife, he knocked the bottle over and unto our carpet. While attempting to pick it up hastily he only succeeded in flipping it over and getting even more on the carpet.

I was unaware that anything was amiss until he came into the bathroom and started wetting a towel. When I asked him what was going on he fessed up.

Almost a whole can of Resolve Heavy traffic foam, a spot steam cleaner, many towels and layers of baking soda later, the big orange-brown spot is gone but the carpet does have an oily residue on it and boy does it SMELL!

Whiles Hoppes is a pleasant smell, I would prefer that my whole home NOT smell like it was dripping in it.

Any recommendations for getting Hoppes out of carpet?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Whiles Hoppes is a pleasant smell, I would prefer that my whole home NOT smell like it was dripping in it.
    We guys think it must be an acquired "taste", like a fine perfume. Has your husband come out of the bedroom yet?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    Oh my - #9 air freshener LOL!

Sorry - shouldn't laugh!! I really am not too sure how to deal with the odor after all you did already - other than over time it should dissipate. Perhaps all that is left to try is Fabreze .... or another thing which is supposed get rid of strong pet odors but forget name.

Good luck with it tho - and hope the old man is not relegated to the real dog house!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post

Good luck with it tho - and hope the old man is not relegated to the real dog house!

Nope, no dog house here, she didn't even yell. As I have stated before, I AM A LUCKY MAN!

VIP Member
    This may sound a bit strange, but try Johnson's Baby Powder. The talc will help to absorb any oily substance left in the carpet and the smell will help to mask the Hoppe's odor. I have found that it works better than powder carpet refreshing products on many spots. I use it for the occasional canine accident and it works for me. By the way the Wal-Mart brand is close, but not as good as the real thing.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I bet that smells soooooooo nice. LOL.

Anyway, try a product called "Ozium" It works really well on airborne smells.

Lead Moderator
    I use hoppes #9 as aftershave/ woman repellant. Not sure if an ionizer would help or not. Some smells it will , others it will not.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the recommendations so far. I'll try just about anything..

No, he's not in the doghouse. Accidents happen, even if they are smelly ones and getting mad doesn't clean them up. There is a new rule in the house, however; no more cleaning with smelly substances over carpet.

I'll have to try the baby powder and some of the other stuff mentioned.

Thanks!

VIP Member
    Can't say as I've tried it specifically for Hoppes, but Dawn dish soap works really well for some oily substances. But, like I said, no specific information on Hoppes.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I have no solution. My wife still wonders why her toothbrush smells like Hoppes #9 after I clean my guns...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Nope, no dog house here, she didn't even yell. As I have stated before, I AM A LUCKY MAN!

I sure hope there are at least some flowers or something on the way to the misses. But then by the sounds of it, and the list of guns on her post, maybe a couple of extra boxes of ammo instead.

Nah, better get both.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

You have cleaned the stain but you want to remove the smell?
    The scent has likely soaked into the backer and maybe even the floor. I would soak the area with Bicarbonate of Soda solution. Might need to do it a few times. Use a Wet-Vac to dry the area out.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Well, I cant speak specifically for hoppes, but this works for transmission fluid.

Dollar general sells some stuff called Mean Green
    Auto parts stores carry some similar stuff called castrol super clean
    Wal-mart carries a watered down version called spray power.

Any of the three will work.

It disolves oils like crazy. I once, got the back of my head completely soaked in transmission fluid while working on a car. I tried shampoo, soap, and dawn dish soap, but nothing would get the stuff out of my hair. Finally I tried some mean green out of desperation. My hair wasn't shiny and managable but it sure was clean. LOL!

I have used the stuff on grease stains, in upholstery and carpet with good results. In your case, the hoppes has probably soaked down into the padding, where it is hard to get to. Soak the spot with mean green and then soak it up with a towel, and just let it dry.

Swimmin' in the Hoppes, eh? I trust that hubby can say "doghouse." My condolences!

I know of no way to eliminate Hoppes #9 smell from carpeting. (Don't ask me how I know this. Let's just say it's an effective motivator to change to MP-7 or JB.)

Keep in mind, if enough has spilled to make a large mark and require sopping up, just as much has already bled through to the backing pad. It's in there. The only way I know of to remove the smell is ... well, to remove the carpet and pad.

So, the questions become: (a) Does hubby mind hard work; and (b) do you like hard wood floors??
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    I've not used Hoppes in a long time since my Wife is EXTREMELY solvent sensitive. Hoppes is out of the question these days in my house.
    Does it still smell the same potent way as it always did?
    Hoppes is some strange smelling stuff.
    It certainly does have a strange way of "sticking around" and the odor stays pretty powerful for a long time.
    That must be driving you totally bonkers in the bedroom.
    That would be grounds for divorce if I did that in my house.
    That Hoppes is going to continue to smell for weeks if it's down in the carpet & in the carpet padding.

Hey ya know what you might try?

Just buy about ten boxes of Baking Soda (it's inexpensive) and COVER that entire area of the carpet with a ton of Baking Soda until the solvent finally evaporates. It might take a week or so.
    Then you can Vacuum it up & toss the sweeper bag away.

Also...you might check the hardware store for this stuff called Nil Odor (or something like that) It is originally intended as a paint additive and you are supposed to add some into paint to kill the solvent smell...that might work.

How about that new Cat Litter with the Activated Charcoal in it?
    Activated Charcoal really absorbs chemical/solvent odors also.

You could possibly cover that area of the carpet with Baking Soda & the Activated Charcoal Cat Litter and then top it off with a sheet of plastic. That would all Vacuum up easily later on and would prevent the smell from permeating the room in the meantime.

And the The Final Additional Solution would be to also buy a Hepa Air Filter/Cleaner with an Activated Charcoal filter and just let that run in the room 24 hours a day.
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 5th, 2007 at 07:55 AM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links