Small dog people! - Page 2

Small dog people!

This is a discussion on Small dog people! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife is a vet tech... yes, we have a zoo... Among our animals, we have: Shih-tzu - kinda like having a soft rug that's ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small dog people!

My wife is a vet tech... yes, we have a zoo...

Among our animals, we have:

Shih-tzu - kinda like having a soft rug that's happy to see you. High maintenance animal if ever there was one. Not real active... or at least not for more than a few minutes at a time. Great foot warmer though :) Ours isn't, but most others that I've seen are kinda nippy around strangers and kids.

Chihuahua - thinks he's a big dog, weights 7lbs. Would not make a good therapy dog.

Pug - Might be a good choice! both active and calm at different times, short hair, easy to care for, intelligent, doesn't need a lot of space. They tend to snore, so if you're a light sleeper it may not work out. Ours doesn't snore nearly as loud as I do, so it's no problem for us...

Dachshund - Ours was a rescue dog that spent the first 14 years of her life at a puppy mill, stuck in a 2'x3' box. When we got her, she was afraid of everything, and wasn't strong enough to climb a stair. Had to have a fatty tumor removed, and have all of her (rotten) teeth pulled. She's getting better, but is still very much afraid of people she doesn't know. Hard to judge from ours, but it might be a good choice. The breed tends to have back and hip problems with age...

Good luck with your search. Whatever you decide on... deal only with a respectable breeder. Puppy mill animals that show up at the neighborhood pet store are much less likely to be a good example of the breed!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member
    It seems a Cavalier King Charles is going to be hard to find as a rescue dog. And purebreds from the breeder are expensive.

I get to go to the allergist on the 28th - the process takes 4 hours. We have some weird allergies in the family. My brother is allergic to whatever preservative they put in leather - when he bought his new Mustang with leather seats, he burst out in hives and got so sick he missed a few days of work! My nose is stuffed almost all the time. Unless it's a strong scent like incense, skunk or a really bad fart, I usually can't smell it without shoving it up my nose.

I haven't had a reaction to dogs... so far.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

http://www.namascusa.com/

There are two miniaturized Australian Shepherds: "Miniature Australian Shepherd" and "North American Shepherd" -- the NAS version is supposedly all the standard Aussie is but calmer.

We have two tri-color boys from the same litter which we adopted seven years ago. They are pretty calm and would make great therapy dogs. One weighs 24 pounds and the other 27.

They stay in the car (weather permitting) at the range while we practice. Noise doesn't bother them!

The breed has blue merle, red merle, and sable colors as well. They are not AKC (yet). We could not have cared less.

Give this breed a good look! In addition to the link above, do your search on the internet for a reputable breeder or rescue dog.

---Jeff
    Attached Images

kpw
    I'm a rottie guy myself but had a pug that I really miss a lot. She was such a great little gal. She held her own with the big guys too. Truth is, they loved her too. Sure do miss that snore.

I like the idea of the Jack Russell. The nice part is that they have plenty of energy and seem to never tire. The bad part is they have plenty of energy and never seem to tire.

Jacks are scary smart, and do make great companions, but need much excersize...more excersize than this fat boy is willing or able to put out.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    It seems a Cavalier King Charles is going to be hard to find as a rescue dog. And purebreds from the breeder are expensive.
    Get a nonbreeding pup. Dad's was cheaper that way. Cheaper but not cheap If you know what I mean. They're still expensive
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Good luck on the breed selection. I'll vote for the wirehaired daushund for your needs, (and the Golden Retriever for all-around great family member). A suggestion - once you decide which breed you want, go to the AKC web site and find the listings of the local and national clubs for your selected breed. Nearly all of them have rescue dogs available. Of course you'll have to meet their "common sence requirements" but it is a wonderful way to get a good dog.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A Jack Russell Terrier?

There are several in our neighborhood...they are one of the few dogs I know that act like they're CCW'ing...

Personally, I prefer much larger dogs, but these little fellows have smarts and guts!

ret
    Jack Russell Terrier (or Rat Terrier) are great dogs and very smart I had one that I took to work with me all the time and everyone loved her, very friendly you won't be disappointed. Wish she was still alive today.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    Jack Russell Terrier (or Rat Terrier) are great dogs and very smart I had one that I took to work with me all the time and everyone loved her, very friendly you won't be disappointed. Wish she was still alive today.

'She' being the operative word regarding smart dogs, I never get boy dogs, girl dogs are streets ahead with the smarts.

Try finding a copy of Margolis' book Good Dog, Bad Dog. He has a lot of breed descriptions in it that are dead-on accurate.

I never met a minature Schnauzer that was not very yappy. Ergo, loud.

Good luck.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Any dog under 100 lb is a small dog, Those under 50 are suitable for concealed carry, but only as a BUD - back up dog.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Any dog under 100 lb is a small dog, Those under 50 are suitable for concealed carry, but only as a BUD - back up dog.
    By that criteria I have one BUD and a mini .22 Derringer.

My vote is:

We just got a new dachsund a little over 6 months ago. You can get you pick of brown, black, or dapple. You can also choose long or short hair.

My input is you should get a female, because to me they have more energy all the time. You can have her "tonsils" removed to prevent issues with her going into heat and you don't have to worry too much about her marking her territory like males do.

I have a male golden retriever also and he is a great dog but his energy level is way less than the female's.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A Jack Russell Terrier?

There are several in our neighborhood...they are one of the few dogs I know that act like they're CCW'ing...

Personally, I prefer much larger dogs, but these little fellows have smarts and guts!

ret
    A friend of mine say that JRTs think they are bullmastifs in training. But they are smart and seem to be people friendly.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    I did various searches for dogs currently used as therapy dogs that meet our description of a short-haired smaller dog.

A whippet came up. It's not too big, and I can take him jogging.

I'd prefer to not get a "designer dog" but something I can find in my area, preferably from a humane shelter or similar rescue place.

I'm on petfinder.com doing a search for young dog, size small, 37214, regional. There's a cute little whippet/terrier there, a Boston terrier, and lots and lots of other terrier-type dogs. It's going to be a slow day at work, so it appears I'm going to have some time to hunt.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links