Crime in libraries - Page 2

Crime in libraries

This is a discussion on Crime in libraries within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One gets checked in, checked out! http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=6216572&nav=23ii Road rage incident leads to loaded gun being hidden in library rest room A loaded gun is hidden ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crime in libraries

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Looks like somebody thinks guns belong in libraries!

One gets checked in, checked out!

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=6216572&nav=23ii

Road rage incident leads to loaded gun being hidden in library rest room

A loaded gun is hidden in an Isle of Wight County Public Library to keep police from finding it, but the plan backfired due to a dilligent parent, and now two men and a teenager are in custody.

This story has many layers. It all started over a road rage incident Friday night and ended with a race for a weapon at the Carrollton library.

"My son's life had just been threatened," said Tim Dowd, who's angry that a gun might have ended up in the wrong hands.

Deputies say Friday night, three men waved a gun at Dowd's son.

The car was stopped at the Carrollton Library.

Deputies could not find a gun and released the suspects.

Concerned the gun may have been hidden inside the library before it closed, an uneasy Dowd, along with his son and friend returned to the library at 8:30 Saturday morning.

Five minutes later, Dowd says his son called 9-1-1 after one suspect pulled into the parking lot.

"One of the bad guys shows up with a girl in a different car than yesterday, but my son William recognized them from the previous day".

Sheriff Charles Phelps says his records show a call at 8:54 and a deputy is dispatched.

At 8:56, Phelps says a 9-1-1 supervisor at home hears the call and contacts the library.

"She called the library and asked them not to open until we arrived on the scene, which the person at the library refused to do that," Sheriff Phelps told us.

At 9:00 a.m., the library opened.

Dowd says he was concerned that if the gun was inside, the girl might try to retrieve it, so he quickly hatched a plan with his son's friend.

"You go to the men's room like you have to go to bathroom. If she goes to ladies room I'll make a scene, and then I don't know what I'll do".

According to Dowd, the friend bee-lined for the men's room and found the gun inside the diaper changing station.

"I walk out to the lobby and take the gun. It doesn't have a safety on. I put the safety on and put it in my front pocket".

Dowd says it took deputies 30 minutes to respond to the calls on both occasions.

The sheriff says deputies should have been at the library Saturday morning, but there was miscommunication between shifts.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Florida...

Where one can defend himself/herself in a church, a library, a restaurant (where alcohol is served) , every store, your home, and any place you have a legal right to be...

I love Florida

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    The president of the American Library Association told INSIDE EDITION
    that libraries are very safe, but cautions that they are open to
    everyone. Parents should accompany young children and establish
    rules and expectations for older children.
    They're open to anyone, no matter how dangerous,
    but they're "very safe."

OXYMORON. How can both be true?

They're only as safe as the low rate of people deciding to do violence there. So not a lot of people come to libraries to commit violent crimes; but when one does decide to, the library is instantly no longer "safe."

Just more proof that crime can happen anywhere, and to think that because a place has historically not had a lot of crime it must be "safe" is idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Where one can defend himself/herself in a church, a library, a restaurant (where alcohol is served) , every store, your home, and any place you have a legal right to be...

I love Florida

Stay armed...stay safe!
    I'll second that.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I remember when I lived in Wichita, Kansas there was a big to do about the city opening the library to bums* in the heat of the summer so they could enjoy the air conditioning.

Anyway, I wouldn't go to the down town library unarmed if I was paid to. The Quizno's next to the main down town library has been robbed more times than I can remember.

*they're bums people, not "the homeless" but bums!

Worked security in Free Library f/2.5 years. Got bit on the hand by a 302. She was released w/out charge by judge who decided that since I was bigger than her and in uniform I scared her and that her reactions were my fault. She had been stealing books on MA and improvised weapons (military history). She had removed down stuffing in her coat and had replaced it w/wooden cabinet doors (body armour). Judge refused to order blood test as an invasion of her privacy. I get my blood tested every year since. Left for LEO job and felt much safer at work. If you run 2/3000 people a day through a public bldg you won't believe what goes on !

Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post
    not legal in Ohio either....

public monies involved or some such excuse
    Tragic, tragic!

There are always a lot of teens hanging around our public library when I stop by after work, so I have an elevated awareness level (as I ALWAYS do) when I have to enter such a zone.

Just curious: maybe a handgun equipped with a SILENCER wouldn't PO the librarians????
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links