In other news, France conquers violence (no, really...)

This is a discussion on In other news, France conquers violence (no, really...) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; France bans citizen journalists from reporting violence http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/03...eban/index.php The French Constitutional Council has approved a law that criminalizes the filming or broadcasting of acts of ...

Thread: In other news, France conquers violence (no, really...)

VIP Member

In other news, France conquers violence (no, really...)

France bans citizen journalists from reporting violence
    http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/03...eban/index.php
    The French Constitutional Council has approved a law that criminalizes the filming or broadcasting of acts of violence by people other than professional journalists. The law could lead to the imprisonment of eyewitnesses who film acts of police violence, or operators of Web sites publishing the images
    I guess this comes from the axiom "If you can't see it, it must not be real."

Well, to celebrate here is a toast to the French with their collective heads in the sand.....ting(sound of beer bottles touching)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

umm..... communism?

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I think their reasoning is due to the trend of punks taking cameras to record their random assaults. Think back to the drive by paintball guys. They are trying to reduce the glorification of violence.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    I think their reasoning is due to the trend of punks taking cameras to record their random assaults. Think back to the drive by paintball guys. They are trying to reduce the glorification of violence.
    That may be their first intent, but have you ever heard of 'unintended consequences'? When do-gooder politicians pass laws without thinking of their ramifications, no good comes of it.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

i recall those videos being used to persecute the idjots... how much glory is there in that?

tons of individuals set up camera's to catch repeat criminals. this would make them criminals for trying to protect themselves and their property.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    The French Constitutional Council has approved a law that criminalizes the filming or broadcasting of acts of violence by people other than professional journalists.
    So, people can only film professional journalists commiting acts of violence. Got it. Just have to wait for the next big anchor-room shootout.

But kidding aside, this is one of the stupidest laws I've heard of in a long time. It basically means there will be no such thing as eye-witness footage to use in court.

What about security cameras? Does this make those illegal now, or are they only illegal if they happen to catch someone breaking the law?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    It basically means there will be no such thing as eye-witness footage to use in court.
    Oh, sure there will be footage. But the folks taking and distributing the film or images will be imprisoned, leaving the evidence to be quashed by the State and the people rotting in prison.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    To quote Kang (or was it Kodos?): Holy flurking snit! There has to be more to this then that blurb explains... I can (almost) understand criminalizing the broadcasting of violence (especially for profit, a la "Bum Fights"), but the filming of it? It's already illegal for punks to commit acts of violence, so why wouldn't we encourage them to film it so we can use it to identify and prosecute them? The points already brought up about security cameras, surveillance systems, et cetera already make this law - as we understand it from the limited info we have here - completely unworkable.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Must not have a 1st Amendment there.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Must not have a 1st Amendment there.
    If they do, its being butchered like our 2nd.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    When I saw the title of this thread "In other news, France conquers violence (no, really...)," my first is impression was...."hmmm, you mean France finally conquered something?"
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    When I saw the title of this thread "In other news, France conquers violence (no, really...)," my first is impression was...."hmmm, you mean France finally conquered something?"
    haha!!

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    "hmmm, you mean France finally conquered something?"
    Along this line of thought, does that mean that the French translation for 'conquered' is "surrender"???
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    Sounds like communism is getting a good, strong foothold.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Don't the idiots realize that these recordings are evidence of the crime. What a bunch boobs.

Links