Iris scanner

Iris scanner

This is a discussion on Iris scanner within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Makes me think of "Minority Report". Eye-scanning tech used to track terrorists adapted to help find missing children | Fox News "Researchers at Carnegie Mellon ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By BritishAgent
  • 1 Post By DingBat
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Iris scanner

Iris scanner

Makes me think of "Minority Report".

Eye-scanning tech used to track terrorists adapted to help find missing children | Fox News

"Researchers at Carnegie Mellon University have developed high-resolution cameras they hope to place at major checkpoints -- like airports -- to scan a person's iris from 40 feet away."

Can't say I'm entirely comfortable with this idea. But it's for the children, so I guess they'll be putting one on every street corner eventually.
    "...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."

Captain Bellamy

Ability to find person "X" on request. Provides the ability to find person "Y" when wanted, then, even if only to generally know that person's patterns. Anyone on this or that list, anyone fingered or accused, anyone claimed to be missing or wanted. Anyone not matching an existing database entry, so "clearly" a potential threat.

Almost impossible to ensure it cannot be abused.

Orwell was right.

Oh, gee ... look, property in the Wyoming mountains is going cheaply, these days. Hm.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I thought this was already happening in airports and whatnot with facial recognition software and HD cameras.

What does iris scanning add value-wise? Can the existing system be defeated with plastic surgery or a thick beard?
    Chicagobill likes this.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Quote Originally Posted by BritishAgent View Post
    I thought this was already happening in airports and whatnot with facial recognition software and HD cameras.

What does iris scanning add value-wise? Can the existing system be defeated with plastic surgery or a thick beard?
    I imagine it can, but the suggestion of having all children iris-printed and put in a database is a big step beyond. It's similar to a fingerprint, which is more definitive for positive identification than facial features.

Plus there's the rationale. Terrorism may justify facial scanners in airports; finding kidnapped children, they can use to justify putting iris scanners anywhere. That's possibly more concerning than the technology itself.
    "...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."

Captain Bellamy

I dont fly nor go inside airports. If my kids were not grown and schools started this theyed be home schooled.
    I dont let my photo be tken at docs office and i will not be iris or hand scanned. Period.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BritishAgent View Post

Irises are like fingerprints but better. Right now there's no real faking them. That coupled with the fact that they can get them(apparently including off reflections in mirrors and glass) at distance out to 12 meters is insanity.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I can't easily find it now, but I saw a show on TV about an outfit that was using biometrics to measure your Gait. Or the pattern your bones and body make when you walk. another critical identifier like fingerprints or iris'. even in a costume, with sunglasses, even with tall shoes, it could still identify you.

so let's see...

- how long until our drivers licenses and passports have RFID chips that can be passively scanned .... the tech is here now, it's just implemented widely yet.

Iris scanners

body Gait scanners

data mining

smartphones that can monitor literally everything you do. and their right on the cusp of being able to read your emotional state from your phone.

smart cars with data transfer

...it's not a "maybe" that's on down the road. it is here. now.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    "I tried talking them down. ...they made a grab for the girl. After that it was a short conversation."

"I am Wrath. I am Steel. I am the Mercy of Angels."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    ... and i will not be iris scanned. Period.
    That's just it: you won't even know it's done.
    DingBat likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Creeping tyranny - always in the name of "the chirrens."
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Distinguished Member Array CanuckQue's Avatar
    You know that the walmarts are going to do it too, as soon as they can.
    Statistically, dementia is one of the greatest defeatable threats to my loved ones. The solution is to fund charities that hunt for a cure. This will also reduces the total amount of my family that has to go through it. I'm basically racing against odds.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links