Emergency light source

This is a discussion on Emergency light source within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I need to get some emergency lights for when we have a power loss. If you can point me to a good product I sure ...

Thread: Emergency light source

Emergency light source

I need to get some emergency lights for when we have a power loss. If you can point me to a good product I sure would appreciate it. The light would be set in the living space of the home and must be safe. Thanks guys!!
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

OK now, the line forms to the right for all of your inputs...help...help..help.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Assistant Administrator
    45 - I have seen but not yet obtained - a lamp which has a cluster of (two, maybe three) hi-intensity LED's ..... lot of light for very economical battery useage. Sorta lantern style.

I also have and use (tho probably not safe enough for you) a sorta Coleman lamp deal - you know, takes kerosene ... preheat coil ... mantle on top ... all shrouded. Lot of light for 8 hours from one fill. Mine have large top ''handle'' which is good for hanging from somewhere and so no tipping risk.

One other option ... keeping a spare 12v battery on float charge - and hook up to an inverter ... even if this is low power (I have a Wally World unit of 600W) - it'll run maybe two std light units for quite a while.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Might get one of the coleman lamps, wonder if you can get them with bottled gas??? The kerosene deal is OK maybe for patio to throw light...Thanks much. Ideas are good when looking..smile
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Assistant Administrator
    Forgot about the gas driven lamps. No name/brand but have seen them ... butane dealies. Thing I found with those tho when I had them way back .. very poor duration and so costly to run IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

http://www.thesportsauthority.com/fa...egoryId=562636

I found this source for lamps...don't know if they are any good yet. Thanks for input.

http://www.thesportsauthority.com/pr...entPage=family

What do you think of this one????
    Last edited by FortyFive; March 4th, 2005 at 03:54 PM.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by FortyFive
    I need to get some emergency lights for when we have a power loss. If you can point me to a good product I sure would appreciate it. The light would be set in the living space of the home and must be safe. Thanks guys!!
    I was wondering what kind you meant. I first thought you meant the kind that automatically come on when the power fails, I have a couple that plug in, act as night lights......... But become "flashlights" when the power fails or they are unplugged.

The kind you seem to be looking at I've solved by using the candle "powered" lanterns I use reenacting. I used the he11 out of them a couple years ago when we were without power for 4 days.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

DC Founder
    I use my Surefire to find one of the 30,000 candles my wife has strategically planted all over the house. She makes soap and candles as a hobby. I also have a propane Coleman stove, lantern and catalytic heater on standby. I had the white gas Colemans up until a couple of years ago and then moved to all propane. The propane cartridges are cheap, clean and doesn't stink.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Thanks Bumper, I was reading one of your posts the other night and bam all houses went dark, something like 9,000 homes went without power. So like every other prepared guy in the neighborhood I asked my wife what shall we do. She knows where the candles are and stuff like that. We were without power for about 5 hours. So I am going to find a coleman that works and get one for the house. I bought her a flashlight today so she won't mess around with my many cell Maglite that can be recharged. We shall see how my plan works out.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

DC Founder
    Walmart has pretty darned good prices on Coleman stuff. For those that live in cold climates if being without power includes being without heat, the catalytic heaters work very well. If I was still up in Colorado I think I would carry one in my car during winter.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

1952 - 2006
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I use my Surefire to find one of the 30,000 candles my wife has strategically planted all over the house. She makes soap and candles as a hobby.
    Cool! My wife helped make soap last year during a reenacting event at Williamsburg, VA. (anything to amuse the "masses" )

I also have a propane Coleman stove, lantern and catalytic heater on standby. I had the white gas Colemans up until a couple of years ago and then moved to all propane. The propane cartridges are cheap, clean and doesn't stink.
    Having an all electric house the time we were without, we used the outside grill for cooking, then went and got a white gas Coleman stove, just in case. Haven't had to use it yet (running quickly to knock on some wood!).
    Last edited by rstickle; March 5th, 2005 at 11:08 AM.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    I am going to have to try one of those for emergencies.

Links