Handloading advice. (5.56/.223 and .308) 9mm worth loading??

This is a discussion on Handloading advice. (5.56/.223 and .308) 9mm worth loading?? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just finished up the last bit of an 8lb Keg of Bullseye. I am about to crack open another 8lb keg of Bullseye. Off ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ETXhiker

Thread: Handloading advice. (5.56/.223 and .308) 9mm worth loading??

I just finished up the last bit of an 8lb Keg of Bullseye. I am about to crack open another 8lb keg of Bullseye.

Off the bat, I am looking to load some .357 Magnum, since I have about 500 WIN Small Pistol Magnum Primers and some more .38 Special, since I have 500 WIN Small Pistol Primers. I have been handloading .38 special exclusively over the last 4 months, since I had more then 1K 125gr FP bullets for .38/.357, but had more .38 shells then .357 shells.

I am looking to purchase 500 .357 shells and 1K 125gr Bullets.

So the questions.

1. Is 9mm still worth loading?? I get 50 round boxes at walmart for $11 (roughly)

2. Is the 5.56/.223 worth loading??

3. What is a good powder/bullet combo for .308 Win??

I will continue to load the .38/.357, since those rounds do run me about $15 a box of 50.

Last question, I used to keep detail records of how much I handloaded, cost per component, then break it down to cost per round, etc., etc...

How much can I load with an 8lb Keg of Bulleye, if I am only loading .38/.357 and maybe some 9mm??

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.
    If you served, thank you for your service.

If you did not serve, you are most very welcome.

Is 9mm still worth loading?? I get 50 round boxes at walmart for $11 (roughly)
    Around here, the price is around $16 bucks for practice ammo. If I buy bullets in bulk, I can reload 9mm for around $5.00 a box. Plus, my reloads are more accurate. Plus...I just enjoy reloading. So, to me, yes. It's worth it.

How much can I load with an 8lb Keg of Bulleye, if I am only loading .38/.357 and maybe some 9mm??
    If using 3 to 4 grains per load, approximately one bazillion.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

To me, its worth having the capability, and components on hand, just to ensure a stable ammo supply. After the ammo shortages we have seen in the last few years, and the grabbers attitudes towards anything that goes bang, being able to keep your guns fed yourself, regardless of what the retail supply chain is doing, is well worth it.

I have not loaded a single stick of .223, yet. But, have everything on hand if it comes down to that.

Distinguished Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Cheaper, better ammo, and (if you stock up on components) you'll have ammo when the panics hit !
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by ETXhiker View Post
    Around here, the price is around $16 bucks for practice ammo. If I buy bullets in bulk, I can reload 9mm for around $5.00 a box. Plus, my reloads are more accurate. Plus...I just enjoy reloading. So, to me, yes. It's worth it.

If using 3 to 4 grains per load, approximately one bazillion.
    That is alot of rounds.

I will not argue on the handloading 9mm at about $5 a box, I think that was my calculation when I did load 9mm. But working with single stage presses, it is a very long hassle, yes, it is fun, but just one of those tedious hobbies. So, spending alittle more does elevate the hassle. So, I I have looked to getting a Progressive from Dillion, had a Square Deal "B", but sold it, when I re-enlisted. Of course the cost of a new one, is something I will have to put some $$ away, maybe for X mas.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    To me, its worth having the capability, and components on hand, just to ensure a stable ammo supply. After the ammo shortages we have seen in the last few years, and the grabbers attitudes towards anything that goes bang, being able to keep your guns fed yourself, regardless of what the retail supply chain is doing, is well worth it.

I have not loaded a single stick of .223, yet. But, have everything on hand if it comes down to that.
    Overall, load everything your can, cool, understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    Cheaper, better ammo, and (if you stock up on components) you'll have ammo when the panics hit !

Can anyone tell what would be good powder to use for 5.56/.223 and .308, and recommend at bullet type and weight? I will be picking up some dies next month, and then work on getting some bulk shells and bullets.

To touch on getting a progressive press, I have and was using two Lee Progressive Presses that were purchased second hand, I had been using one for .38 Special, then it broke and I set up my single stage press and been using then since. Since these are three stage presses, then work good for powder, seat and crimp. I like to do the re-sizing and priming first as bulk process. If I can get those back and running, that would elevate the hassle.

Thanks for your comments.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    There are 7000 grains of powder in a pound. Divide 7000 by the number of grains in a round and there's the number of loads in a pound of powder.

I reload everything, don't care what the price is at Walmart.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axton View Post

Can anyone tell what would be good powder to use for 5.56/.223 and .308, and recommend at bullet type?.
    For what purposes? Generalized questions get generalized reponses.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    For what purposes? Generalized questions get generalized reponses.
    Agreed, OldVet...agreed.

I am looking to get into long range shooting, I have a Rem. 700 SPS Tactical with a 3-9x40 that I am just beginning to shoot more, I have only put about 40 rounds. So that is one area, target shooting and the same would be for the 5.56/.223, I have a DelTon Sport, (M4) with a 1-4x20 scope and I am just barely getting into rifle shooting.

Thanks, OldVet.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    There are 7000 grains of powder in a pound. Divide 7000 by the number of grains in a round and there's the number of loads in a pound of powder.

I reload everything, don't care what the price is at Walmart.
    Thanks, I remembered and figured the count was at about 10K, with the grain amount being 5.0 per round. Cool, I will look at the cost of getting 2K of bullets and primers at least once every two months.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links