Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop? - Page 2

Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop?

This is a discussion on Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, it would be hard for an officer to search my motorcycle, but even if it was a cage, the answer stays no....

View Poll Results: Would you consent to a search of your vehicle during a routine traffic stop?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 21.08%
  • No

161 78.92%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop?

Well, it would be hard for an officer to search my motorcycle, but even if it was a cage, the answer stays no.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

no. I carry 5 toolboxes in my Rodeo, and usually at least two computers. You want to fish...find another pier. I've got too much stuff back there that could be damaged, lost...or "lost" depending on the situation

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Real world story on this topic. A couple years ago we had a guy driving his daughter's car. He was speeding and got pulled. FHP trooper wrote him a citation for it. She then asked him if she could take a look in the trunk. He consented...no big deal.

Unbeknownst to him (as far as we know), the trunk is where his daughter kept her stash, and her notebook listing all of her customers. Turned out his little girl was quite the entrepreneur/freelance pharmacist.

He got charged with possession with intent, paraphernalia, and two or three others. He was also within a thousand feet of a school when he was stopped which is an enhancement here.

The search was consensual. We did manage to get the charges dismissed, but it took almost a year, and his attorney fee was (if memory serves) $15,000 plus costs. I don't remember what his bond was, but it was substantial. I also don't recall if we got the vehicle back, but it was seized and went through forfeiture (it was a real nice Lexus).

Gots no problem with it!

VIP Member
    I voted "no", like most, for the principle of it. I'm not rude or disrespectful and I have nothing to hide, but still "no".
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I'd have to ask "why" no good answer, then no, If it's a traffic stop, for speeding , expired tags etc, not a chance, If it's a road check and they are looking for a missing child or etc, they can open the trunk, and look in or under anything that might hide a child, other than that, nothing to hide, no reason to look, search the next car.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

As long as the cop wasn't acting suspect himself, I wouldn't care. I'd say yes.

Depending on the situation, I feel most LEOs wouldn't ask me anyway. But if asked I would grant permission.
    All they will find is one roll of shop towels, two cans of insect repellent, a first aid box and some pens. I keep a tidy truck.

Absolutely NO WAY NO HOW in any circumstances. I understand they may have a legitimate reason and they have a job to do which doesn't get easier by me mucking it up. Hell, I'm even friends with some LEO's, but when push comes to shove...An LEO is NOT your friend once they ask to search. They are not asking to be your friend. They are not asking to help you. They ARE trying to find ANYTHING on you, whether or not it can stick...As far as they're concernced that's for the court to decide.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Nope.

Officer, I understand you'd like to look around but barring any articulate reason, for which you could get a warrant, I'll respectfully decline on principle.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

I voted no. Have nothing to hide, but there's no need to search a vehicle if you're being stopped for speeding, and there's no other PC for a search.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I think I'd have to say no for MOST situations. Like said before, it is the principle of the matter. The Fourth Amendment of the US Constitution protects us from "unlawful search and seizure". In this situation, It would be unlawful for the officer to search my vehicle without my consent. Would I consent? Probably not. What is the probable cause? It had better be good. Now a Terry search is another thing.

Use your rights or loose them.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Administrator
    Let me step in a minute and say this is not a 4th amendment issue, other than you have the right to say no... you are being asked to give consent to a search. It is not unlawful in anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    No way!!

I Have Nothing To Hide...

But without a valid reason, definitely not. They can call the 'dog' if he/she desires to make me wait, but if it entails more than 15 minutes, I'm going to write a letter.

I do not participate in illegal activities, so nothing will be found...for me it is a matter of principle...however, I will be overly friendly, and courteous...with a firm "NO, but thanks for asking!"

I have no record...I don't go to bars...I don't drink and drive...I don't do drugs...He!!, I'm just an old fart, a polite one, but old, never the less...just don't waste my time, or yours, on some silly search routine!

Stay armed...stay safe...my $.02...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links