Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop?

This is a discussion on Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; no !...

View Poll Results: Would you consent to a search of your vehicle during a routine traffic stop?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 21.08%
  • No

161 78.92%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop?

no !

Absolutely not. I have nothing to hide, but that is not the point. I DO consider this to be a 4th Amendment issue because if a right is not exercised, it will be lost. It is purely a matter of principle...

No.

During a routine stop they are not wanting to search my vehicle for my benefit. If they think a crime has been commited by me then come up with a probable cause. I look at it the same way as if an officer knocked on my door and asked to take a quick look around my house the answer is no in both situations.

To me asking to search my vehicle is like asking me to prove I'm not doing anything illeagal.

Haveing said all that the few times I have been pulled over I have never been asked this question.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

nope. i pay taxes and support my community.... besides, my car is a mess - im the anti-lima searching my crap would ruin my organizational system, as i try to convince my wife it's called...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Absolutely not. I have nothing to hide, but that is not the point. I DO consider this to be a 4th Amendment issue because if a right is not exercised, it will be lost. It is purely a matter of principle...
    Agreed. I was just trying to point out that there is nothing illegal about a consent search, as there is nothing illegal in saying no to one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Not gonna happen without a warrant. They can sit there with me and wait for the dog to come out, but it's gonna be a waste of my time and theirs.

I've heard there has been a rash of this type of thing in south Texas, outside Corpus Christi. State Troopers down there apparently have a stretch of road that they think drug traffickers use a lot, so they will pull people over on a made-up pretense (I thought your tail-light was out), and coerce you into submitting to an impromptu search.

If you don't agree, they keep you on the side of the road until a dog can show up, which is usually several hours, all the while telling you how it could all go so much smoother, and you have nothing to worry about if you let them do the search. (rumor has it there have also been instances of planting evidence in people's cars to make their "drug fighting strategy" look good, but I don't know how much truth there is to that part).

ya know never been asked

Only time i was adked it was routine they were looking for a truck a dead ringer for mine that came from excatly where i did and where looking for a wheelie in stainless

Good thing i had a semi auto

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Not gonna happen without a warrant. They can sit there with me and wait for the dog to come out, but it's gonna be a waste of my time and theirs.

I've heard there has been a rash of this type of thing in south Texas, outside Corpus Christi. State Troopers down there apparently have a stretch of road that they think drug traffickers use a lot, so they will pull people over on a made-up pretense (I thought your tail-light was out), and coerce you into submitting to an impromptu search.

If you don't agree, they keep you on the side of the road until a dog can show up, which is usually several hours, all the while telling you how it could all go so much smoother, and you have nothing to worry about if you let them do the search. (rumor has it there have also been instances of planting evidence in people's cars to make their "drug fighting strategy" look good, but I don't know how much truth there is to that part).

I know Texas is a different world, but I dont buy the rumors at all. Why would they risk everything for a fake bust, when there are plenty of the real deal out there?
    In fact, to prove they are doing a good job, they need to do the opposite. Stop and search a lot of cars, if they find little or nothing, they have done their job. The drugs and traffic are not in their area.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Possibly, given the LEOs immediate reason.

If there is a situation in progress and I can help him get back on the road and after the bad guy by proving to him that I am not the one he's looking for, yes.

If he's just snooping hoping to catch drugs, firearms, whatever, no. I'll respectfully wait for as long as needed.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I would have to say no. I can envision a some circumstances where I might authorize a search, but certainly not as a general principle. Like Gary, I believe this is a 4th Amendment issue.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Nope. Once you consent to a search all SORTS of stuff is waived. Don't do it.

"Get a warrant. I'll sit right here while your buddies phone the judge and bring it to you, Officer."
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

No way!! I just want them to get a search warrant for nothing. Steve48

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    No.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I voted "no".

At least I hope that I can override my German genes and the automatic deference to authority figures they cause.

http://www.flexyourrights.org has an excellent video documentary of what to do and what not to do during a routine traffic stop and other police encounters.
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I answered "No."
    But I recognize that when you are hoping that your cooperation will get you let off for the speeding ticket, you sometimes sell out your rights. (The theory being that if you refuse the cop's "polite request," you are certainly not getting off without a ticket because he'll be indignant.)

I gave consent to a search back when I was in college. The pair of NY state troopers still gave me a ticket (which fortunately, I got out of later on). Thanks a lot, gestapo jerks!

I won't do it again, though. I'll calmly explain that I believe I have given no probable cause to be searched, and that I am asserting my right to be free from warrantless and unreasonable search.

We'll have to see where it goes from there. Fortunately, I no longer drive like I did when I was 18, 20 years old, and am less of a target for being pulled over in the first place.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links