Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop?

This is a discussion on Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ron8903 I voted yes, nothing to hide. Let 'em into your bedroom too, then. You aren't doing illegal stuff in there either, ...

View Poll Results: Would you consent to a search of your vehicle during a routine traffic stop?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 21.08%
  • No

161 78.92%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    I voted yes, nothing to hide.

Let 'em into your bedroom too, then. You aren't doing illegal stuff in there either, are you?

The attitude that, "If you have nothing to hide, you should not mind police state tactics and intrusions into your privacy, and all that is yours should be open to their scrutiny on request" harms EVERYONE, because the more people who agree to be searched, the harder it is for those of us who object to refuse it.

"Well, why do YOU refuse, when so many other people who have nothing to hide have no objection to me searching?"

It's getting to the point where knowing and insisting on your rights is viewed as prejudicial, in large part because of the people who are willing to part with their rights.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    The reason I'm touchy is in over a decade of living and traveling on a boat I, quite frankly, got sick and tired of poorly trained kids muzzle sweeping me and my family and pulling out every single item we own from storage and then stuffing it back all disorganized. From the wifes underwear to my tools to my kids toys. Usually about every other month sometimes more. These were referred to as "safety inspections" by the Coast Guard. Yeah, right...
    I have never understood why they are able to get away with that.

Off-shore, while entering U.S. waters? Maybe okay.

Inland, or within the however-many miles of U.S. water? NO. It's an abuse of the 4th amendment rights we are supposed to have, that just because it's on a boat, they can search whenever they want and call it "safety."

Totalitarian B.S.

Well, my world has just got a little bigger.

I always want to be helpful and do the right thing and I assume that all LEOs are Andy Griffith.

Thanks to the eye-opening responses and links here, I change my answer to, never.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

NO!!! Not a matter of how nice the cop is, it is a matter of my rights.

Here is a scenario for you all to ponder. I was at the range one day shooting my 30-30. A storm was coming, we could see it in the distance but suddenly we are getting pounded by those big rain drops the size of mellons. I grab up everything and put it in my trunk. My shooting day is over but it is early so my buddies and I go get some lunch before going home. By the time I get home I forget about the stuff in the trunk. Now, this happens to be my wife's car not mine. Several days later I remember the stuff and go to put it away. As I check the 30-30 out pops a round. I had one left in the chamber but with the storm I had neglected to check. So my wife has been driving around with a loaded gun in the car. Imagine her being stopped and allowing a search for no reason. Boy would I have been in trouble.

It can happen to the best of us.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Hello this is my first post and I am a new concealed carrier and was thinking about this very subject. If they run your plates I am guessing you are immediately flagged as a concealed carrier, has anyone had any bad experiences because of this? Also if you are traveling thru a state that does not honor your cwl will this be an additional red flag so they would want to search you to see if you are concealed carrying and would that in itself be a reason to search? If you are in this situation do you put your handgun up on the dash? It seems like this would cause an officer and yourself some tense moments? Has anyone had experiences where on a routine stop they ask you if you are carrying?
    Sorry if I have veered off topic a bit but I'm trying to figure out if I will now draw higher level attention at a traffic stop and would like to know what to expect in the future or if you are treated any differently at a stop.
    Thanks
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I have never understood why they are able to get away with that.

Off-shore, while entering U.S. waters? Maybe okay.

Inland, or within the however-many miles of U.S. water? NO. It's an abuse of the 4th amendment rights we are supposed to have, that just because it's on a boat, they can search whenever they want and call it "safety."

Totalitarian B.S.
    You'd find a crowd of thousands who agree with you but the courts have upheld this stuff. One of the early lessons you learn is you never complain about this stuff officially, espcially if it's DEA/Customs. You'll have your boat stripped, gutted and trashed. Worse yet they pull this stuff everywhere in the world they are. Navy vessels now carry boarding teams worldwide. It's a sad note as a private mariner when the sight of a Navy or Coast Guard ship instills fear not pride.

The crazy thing is inside a states waters the waterborne police units cannot board without your permission unless they see a crime in progress. They can only request that you show proper safety gear and paperwork.

I won't even get started on the usurpation of anchoring rights, a federal right of navigation, by numerous states or the efforts that are constantly being fought to ban living aboard by many states. America is not as free out there on the water as many would like to think.....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
    Hello this is my first post and I am a new concealed carrier and was thinking about this very subject. If they run your plates I am guessing you are immediately flagged as a concealed carrier, has anyone had any bad experiences because of this? Also if you are traveling thru a state that does not honor your cwl will this be an additional red flag so they would want to search you to see if you are concealed carrying and would that in itself be a reason to search? If you are in this situation do you put your handgun up on the dash? It seems like this would cause an officer and yourself some tense moments? Has anyone had experiences where on a routine stop they ask you if you are carrying?
    Sorry if I have veered off topic a bit but I'm trying to figure out if I will now draw higher level attention at a traffic stop and would like to know what to expect in the future or if you are treated any differently at a stop.
    Thanks
    Tom
    Depends on the local laws (which you should know prior to driving through the area). Most states require that you inform the officer that you have a CCL and are armed, and some also require that you allow the offier to disarm you for the duration of the encounter.

As for a CCL leading to an unreasonable search or harrassment, I would imagine it depends on the officer. Hopefully, he would keep his head, as I hope we would keep ours.

If a search is requested it is no longer considered routine.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

VIP Member

fake busts/Texas issue

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I know Texas is a different world, but I dont buy the rumors at all. Why would they risk everything for a fake bust, when there are plenty of the real deal out there?
    In fact, to prove they are doing a good job, they need to do the opposite. Stop and search a lot of cars, if they find little or nothing, they have done their job. The drugs and traffic are not in their area.
    There have been a few really well publicized cases, the most infamous was the work of a fellow who I think went to jail---but first he put about two dozen in jail with false testimony. I think it was in Mexia, where this happened. Similar happened in the Dallas area, but I can't recall the specifics.

There is always going to be a "Harry Houdini" who plants stuff in a clean car.

The problem for ordinary citizens is that when you know you have done nothing, and are asked to consent, you are in a no win situation.

If the cop is clean and honest and you haven't done anything, he had no reason to ask. That leaves you puzzled and frightened.

And if he is corrupt, nothing you do or say will help much.

And between these two extremes, there are "fishermen."

I too voted yes, I drive this:

And I don't cart around anything illegal, nothing to hide, if the police or hwy patrol want to search it, it will be pretty boring for them...

I vote no. If they want to search badly enough, they can articulate to a judge why they should get a warrant. I'd probably be cuffed in the back "FOR MY SAFETY" while a fellow K-9 Officer and partner just coincidentaly happed to drive by and stop and take the dog out to stretch his legs. Plus it would put a dent on my plans. Even so, I will not abdicate my rights.

I voted no just like a lot of you guys for my rights but if the officer is a polite and the situation deserves it I will let him do it but just Like SIXTO please take the old candy and toys out wile you are at it
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

VIP Member
    First, let me say "Welcome", trailblazer.

Hello this is my first post and I am a new concealed carrier and was thinking about this very subject. If they run your plates I am guessing you are immediately flagged as a concealed carrier, has anyone had any bad experiences because of this?
    Not all states do this. Washington doesn't attach it to the same record as your driver's license or vehicle license.
    Also if you are traveling thru a state that does not honor your cwl will this be an additional red flag so they would want to search you to see if you are concealed carrying and would that in itself be a reason to search? If you are in this situation do you put your handgun up on the dash? It seems like this would cause an officer and yourself some tense moments?
    There are a couple of good threads about informing officers. I don't know about Idaho, maybe one of the other members does. As for putting the gun on the dash, the safest thing for everyone involved is not to touch the gun at all. Many suggest keeping your hands on the steering wheel and don't take them off until the officer asks you to get your license, reg, etc.
    Has anyone had experiences where on a routine stop they ask you if you are carrying?
    Thanks
    Tom
    I haven't on the few times I've been pulled over, but I would guess, it's because that information isn't attached to the vehicle record.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    There have been a few really well publicized cases, the most infamous was the work of a fellow who I think went to jail---but first he put about two dozen in jail with false testimony. I think it was in Mexia, where this happened. Similar happened in the Dallas area, but I can't recall the specifics.

There is always going to be a "Harry Houdini" who plants stuff in a clean car.

The problem for ordinary citizens is that when you know you have done nothing, and are asked to consent, you are in a no win situation.

If the cop is clean and honest and you haven't done anything, he had no reason to ask. That leaves you puzzled and frightened.

And if he is corrupt, nothing you do or say will help much.

And between these two extremes, there are "fishermen."

I guess I just dont understand why one would risk everything for a petty arrest, let alone ruin am innocent persons life.
    I'll admit I go one fishing expeditions from time to time, but I only toss the hook to the keepers, and let the rest alone.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I answered NO. Nothing to hide or find. I would simply try to make his day more boring. Here in Texas, it is not uncommon for a LEO to bypass the search warrant requirement by having a Game Warden dispatched to the scene. They have warrantless search authority, and ALWAYS have "propable cause".

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links