Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop? - Page 6

Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop?

This is a discussion on Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I thought we were odd in the counties that I work, I would say that 90% of our convictions are the result of a plea. ...

View Poll Results: Would you consent to a search of your vehicle during a routine traffic stop?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 21.08%
  • No

161 78.92%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop?

I thought we were odd in the counties that I work, I would say that 90% of our convictions are the result of a plea.
    Actually that is about average nationally.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Sadly, buckeye07, you're absolutely right. And most of the pleas are negotiated. We used to call them Plea Bargains. That became politically incorrect because the word "bargains" painted an ugly picture. Rape became "sexual assault." Etc. Gentle euphemisms to describe horrible things.

None of these "developments" bode well.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGibson View Post
    Sadly, buckeye07, you're absolutely right. And most of the pleas are negotiated. We used to call them Plea Bargains. That became politically incorrect because the word "bargains" painted an ugly picture. Rape became "sexual assault." Etc. Gentle euphemisms to describe horrible things.

None of these "developments" bode well.
    Yeah, I actually have already completed my Criminology minor (I'm a know it all college kid), and that is something we looked at, the court system just can't handle the workload otherwise, nor can the corrections system.

Although in some jurisdictions rape has become sexual assault, in order to better describe the violence of the act, and make the offense more broad to incorpoate other acts (In Ohio until recently a man couldn't be raped under the legal definition). But I do understand what you are saying. Bengals football players tend to get a DUI plead down to a reckless driving. The good thing about a plea deal is the person get spunished without the costs to the courts, the bad thing is that they almost always get a lesser crime put on record and a lesser punishment than if it went to court.

As far as the origional question, no, on principle. Bring the dog if ya want, there is nothing in my truck.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Oh, the original question. Sorry guys. I drifted.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I'm going to ask questions before I consent, and more than likely I'm going to tell them no, due to lack of probable cause.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Back to the original thread, my response....not just no, Heck no.
    If the officer had an adequate reason to search my person or property, he wouldn't require my consent. If he asks for it, or tries to search with my "consent" by lack of protest, he will quickly hear the words "I'm sorry officer but I have not, nor will I give consent to a search or my person or property." I know LEO's have a difficult job, and I have nothing to hide. But when you don't walk the fence it's the greatest social laxative of all, it just gives birth to turds.

If the cop wants to search, why hassle about it. Even if there is insufficiant 'probable cause' to get a search warrent, you've still lost a bunch of time for nothing.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Rights aren't nothing to some people.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I guess I just dont understand why one would risk everything for a petty arrest, let alone ruin am innocent persons life.
    I'll admit I go one fishing expeditions from time to time, but I only toss the hook to the keepers, and let the rest alone.
    I think a real common cause for this ... laziness. I have watched some officers get so caught up in trying to make their minimum "activities" for the day that they lose focus on everything else.

There are some others that I know, and some are quite malicious. A lot of that depends on the location and the administration though.

Oh by the way, I voted no. My right to say no. If the LEO has a problem with that he can talk to a judge, and he better be quick about it or I will file a complaint.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

kpw
    No thank you. I can say that every encounter I've had, the officer involved has been polite and professional except the one search consent I gave when I was 19. My passenger and I were disputing going through a red light 3 miles back, he asked to look through the car. I didn't have anything to hide so I consented. He magically found a crushed up beer can on the floor in the back. Funny, I cleaned the car out earlier that day and no one was drinking in my car. Told me if I fought the ticket, he'd say we were drinking. I should have fought the ticket but I didn't. Come to find out later, he used that beer can trick on a lot of younger drivers passing through his town. Last I heard of him, he went to prison for agg. assault on his wife or girlfriend, I believe with a weapon.
    Haven't been asked since but I'd have to respectfully decline.

NO................
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    If the cop wants to search, why hassle about it. Even if there is insufficiant 'probable cause' to get a search warrent, you've still lost a bunch of time for nothing.
    Because brave men left a trail of blood at Valley Forge, sleeping outside in -20 degree temperatures without even having boots - all so that you would have a right to be free from searches by "the king's soldiers".

Because every signer of The Declaration of Independence lost all of their worldly material wealth to what are now called "asset forfeitures", dying penniless, but free - except those who were hanged, of course. Their lands were seized, and family members were murdered by the "king's soldiers" to give you these rights.

Because untold numbers of American kids died in places long forgotton; The Ardenne Forest, the beaches of Guadelcanal, Truk, Leyte, Luzon, and Iwo Jima. Thousands drowned or were burned to death in Naval engagements at places like Midway, The Slot, The Coral Sea, Truk Lagoon, The North Atlantic. Because 18 year old kids WILLINGLY climbed into B-17's in sub-zero weather, knowing full well that (until May of 1943) none of them had ever survived their tour of duty to go home, dying in frozen pools of their own blood over Nazi held Europe.

Because of the kids who either froze to death at places like the Chosin Reservoir and Inchon, or were overrun by hoards of Chinese troops until they ran out of ammo and died fighting hand to hand.

Because of 19 year old kids who got dropped off in the Jungles of Vietnam, experiencing nightmares unimaginable - only to return home to be spat upon and called "baby killer" by some snot nosed scumbag.

Because of the guys (and gals) right now dying in the deserts of Iraq, and Afganistan.

And, because of all of the widows who's lives were shattered, all the little kids who grew up without a dad, all the parents who watched their child's casket lowered into the ground.

Is this enough of a reason?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I have no idea why someone would want to search my car on a routine traffic stop. The only thing he'd be smelling if he stuck is head in my Jeep is Febreeze. I am the most anal person in the world when it comes to my car being cleanly. As he approached he would see my tool box, first aide kit, extra windshield wiper fluid, jack, maps and umbrella, all neatly arranged in my cargo space, secured with a net. As he looked in my back seat he would see absolutely nothing but vacuumed floors and maybe my purse. As he looked in the driver's side window and took one long sniff he'd smell febreeze, and a careful look at the passenger side door would show him a bottle of febreeze, swiffer dusters and windex wipes (yes, I dust the inside of my Jeep regularly).
    I always wear my seat belt. I'm always very courteous and respectful.

If he asked to search my vehicle, first I'd be shocked and then I'd say, "Okay, just please put everything back where it belongs."

It wouldn't take him very long to search (I HATE clutter and so my vehicle is very clutter free and organized), and it would probably be one of the best searches he'd ever done as I also vacuum underneath my seats, even taking them out to get into all of the cracks. If he got any dirt in my car, however, I would grind my teeth a bit while plotting a route to the nearest car wash.

I would be boring to search.

So, yeah, I'd consent, only because I'm a pretty accommodating individual and have nothing to hide. If anything it would give me a great story to tell later down the road.
    Honey, we gotta have a talk when I get home...

No way, the Jeep may be clean, but when the officer smells all that frabreeze, he's going to think, man that smells strong, what's it covering up? And God forbid my ammo box, shot up targets, or muffs are in the back.

We as Americans are protected from illegal search and seisure, granted we have nothing to hide, and by doing so the Police have no probable cause to search our vehicle.

No probable cause, no search. Unless like the case that Bud mentioned in which case I'd allow it.

Gary..... Bravo!

Outstanding reply. Some people just dont get it and most of those never will. Those types are never bothered by the sacrifices, only that they make it to the hair stylist on time.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

The signature line of a member on another board sums it up pretty good for me...

Officer "Do you mind if I search your car?"
    Me "Do you mind if I piss in your boot?"

Gary B. That was a fine piece of writing

SIXTO-
    anything more than 15 minutes or so, your walking on the edge. However, I may not be able to hold up a person, but I can hold the car for days if needed.
    Please explain; if you can't hold me how can you hold my vehicle if there is nothing you have found/ no PC to hold me???

If I refuse a search and am further detained I will inform the cop that I am activating the stop watch function on my watch and will leave in 20 minutes unless charged.
    I just logged 100 acres of prime timber and then sold the land to a developer, I have both the mind set and the $$$$ to bend an abusive cop over backwards and run him through the ringer just for the fun of it, starting with 42 US 1983 and 18 US 242

Nothing aginst you SIXTO; I was a reserve deputy and rode on patrol with a sheriffs deputy buddy for 7 years; you sound just about like him in most of your posts and we would probably get along if we meet. I just can't abide a lazy, abusive, power drunk LEOs.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links