Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop?

This is a discussion on Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not to pick on SIG 239 But I Say NO WAY NO HOW NOT EVER. One of the lawyers up here in VA had a ...

View Poll Results: Would you consent to a search of your vehicle during a routine traffic stop?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 21.08%
  • No

161 78.92%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Would you consent to a search during a routine traffic stop?

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Not to pick on SIG 239

But I Say NO WAY NO HOW NOT EVER.

One of the lawyers up here in VA had a very interesting case. A female he defended was a VERY law abiding Citizen, worked for the Government, and she had the "I have nothing to hide mentallity" After picking her sister who was "Law abiding" from the airport on a very rainey day she was pulled over by a VA staty. The officer on a wim said can I look in your trunk. She said I have nothing to hide go right ahead. She was driving a brand new Mercedes (I forget what Model) Her sister had a lot of Cocaine that she had somehow got through the airport security with, long story short she watched her brand new car get ripped apart on the highway in the rain after this.

Now the owner was law abiding but her sis wasn't but still its principle you don't consent to it, unless they pull the warrant.

And actually right if they asked I might let them but there is one catch. YOu must have a dust buster and clean it at the same time. I"m still kidding.

But NO YOU CANNOT SEARCH MY CAR!!!! Can I search your CRUISER!@!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    Nope.

Don't care if they are "just doing their job". Bring your stupid drug dog and have him sniff my Cherokee. He isn't going to find a darn thing. Wast my time and yours. But I will not consent to a search of my property when all I might be guilty of is speeding.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

simple statement "I DO NOT consent to ANY searches"

then I shut up....

IANALY

kpw
    Gary....probably the best answer I've read to any question I've seen on a forum. Thanks!

Thanks, guys. I truly love this country, but I despise what I see it becoming. I am truly afraid of what it will become in another generation...

If the American people do not insist that their rights be respected, then all is lost and all of those lives given for said rights were wasted...The sun is setting on our freedoms as individuals. If we do not reverse this trend now, a darkness of tyranny will befall this country that will be irreversible. Mark my words...

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Ditto Gary's post at #94.

Gary - very moving posts. You've got a talent to communicate this issue.

I'm hiding my privacy
    The Marshmallowist

Gary,

Again excellent post I agree 100% and I also spent 20 years in the navy defending your right to say no.

I also voted no.

Eric
    USN (SS) Retired

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Because brave men left a trail of blood at Valley Forge, sleeping outside in -20 degree temperatures without even having boots - all so that you would have a right to be free from searches by "the king's soldiers".

Because every signer of The Declaration of Independence lost all of their worldly material wealth to what are now called "asset forfeitures", dying penniless, but free - except those who were hanged, of course. Their lands were seized, and family members were murdered by the "king's soldiers" to give you these rights.

Because untold numbers of American kids died in places long forgotton; The Ardenne Forest, the beaches of Guadelcanal, Truk, Leyte, Luzon, and Iwo Jima. Thousands drowned or were burned to death in Naval engagements at places like Midway, The Slot, The Coral Sea, Truk Lagoon, The North Atlantic. Because 18 year old kids WILLINGLY climbed into B-17's in sub-zero weather, knowing full well that (until May of 1943) none of them had ever survived their tour of duty to go home, dying in frozen pools of their own blood over Nazi held Europe.

Because of the kids who either froze to death at places like the Chosin Reservoir and Inchon, or were overrun by hoards of Chinese troops until they ran out of ammo and died fighting hand to hand.

Because of 19 year old kids who got dropped off in the Jungles of Vietnam, experiencing nightmares unimaginable - only to return home to be spat upon and called "baby killer" by some snot nosed scumbag.

Because of the guys (and gals) right now dying in the deserts of Iraq, and Afganistan.

And, because of all of the widows who's lives were shattered, all the little kids who grew up without a dad, all the parents who watched their child's casket lowered into the ground.

Is this enough of a reason?
    This is by far one of the best posts that I have ever seen on this message board. Bravo.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Nope...I'm not going to play along with their fishing trip. If they have a right to search, they're not going to ask.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Thanks, guys. I truly love this country, but I despise what I see it becoming. I am truly afraid of what it will become in another generation...

If the American people do not insist that their rights be respected, then all is lost and all of those lives given for said rights were wasted...The sun is setting on our freedoms as individuals. If we do not reverse this trend now, a darkness of tyranny will befall this country that will be irreversible. Mark my words...

Great posts Gary! The tyranny word is starting to be more prevalent in the forums that I read. People are starting to wake up. I believe you are a man of wisdom, Gary, how far do we go in our insistance that our rights be respected? (Yes, I am stirring it!)

Oh...I voted "No" as well.
    Press the fight!

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Not that I ever have any thing to hide, but there has to be reasonable cause for a search in the first place.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Quote Originally Posted by mark555 View Post
    Not that I ever have any thing to hide, but there has to be reasonable cause for a search in the first place.
    WITHOUT your permission, they have to have reasonable cause. the judge will ask what the reasonable cause to issue the warrant is, if you decline the officers invitation to tour your vehicle.

consenting to askance to search your vehicle means you're waiving your right to reasonable cause.

and Gary, your posts are inspiring. thank you!

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Only if there were reasonable cause, "snakes on a plane" kinda thing.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

I do not consent to any search of my person, my car or home period... end of story. If an officer says, "I'll get a warrant!" Just say, "Go ahead!" They are only bluffing and if not your in no worse shape.

Don't about it just keep saying "NO you may not!"
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links