Anyone see '300'? - Page 2

Anyone see '300'?

This is a discussion on Anyone see '300'? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by lilducky08 not yet but planning on it. Was it really shot with Green Screen? I read an article, I think on MSNBC.com, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone see '300'?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lilducky08 View Post
    not yet but planning on it. Was it really shot with Green Screen?
    I read an article, I think on MSNBC.com, that said the whole thing was shot on a green screen in a warehouse except for the galloping horses and that the only think in the movie that is real is the actors. All of the background, blood, etc was CGI. I'll be dad-gummed if I can find the article again, though.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

having a history degree makes movies like this rough, but I put aside all that and enjoyed it a lot!
    Great movie! ETA: 2 things actually irritated me- first the way they portrayed the Ephors- second- Leonidas was sent as a forward guard, he did not disobey any orders in taking the 300 to Thermopylae, he was in fact following orders. For some reason the movie portrayed him as disobeying the order to stay home....

Apparently the director tried to instill the "awe" in the modern audience that the Greeks would have felt when they saw the Persian army. Cool.

If you want the "real deal" read "Gates of Fire" by Pressfield. Best book I have ever read and he gets almost everything from the ancient sources. It is a fictionalized account though, with a few added things.

If you want the real, real deal read "Xerxes at Salamis" By Green, or "The Battle For the West, Thermopylae" By Bradford. The Bradford book is easy to read, but the Green isn't too bad. These are non-fiction.

PS the Iranians are a bunch of cry-babies, of course the Persians were depicted as the bad guys, the movie was based on the Greek account since we have no Persian account!!!
    Last edited by Hobbes; March 15th, 2007 at 10:33 PM.
    Hoplophile

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Just saw it last night. Overall it was good. I wish they had stuck to the history a little closer, but that's the way stuff goes.

I got the feeling they were trying to paint the tale as told (and embellished) by the one-eyed Spartan, but that wasn't stressed enough, and consequently, some parts of the story set off the BS-meter.

I was surprised to see how they protrayed Xerxes. I didn't think he was a giant (and somehow, he seemed to be gay).

There were a few too many mutilated war creatures, in my opinion. The chained giant was one thing (Cave Troll, anybody?), but then the axe-armed fat executioner, the Immortals, plus Quasimodo (and the same actor that played Farimir on top of it all) left me feeling like I just watched an "ancient Greece meets LOTR" cross-over movie.

But even with all that, it was still good.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    The saddest one was Alexander, which seemed to be about a gay guy traveling through the world and dealing with his (very hot) mother issues.
    Isn't THAT the truth.

I haven't seen 300 yet, but now I want to. I LOVE Gladiator. If there is any era in history that I can't get enough of it's the Roman Empire. While most young girls are playing with Barbie and experimenting with makeup, I was pinning up maps of the Raman Empire on my walls and passionately studying the lives (and deaths) of the Caesars. I can say, in all honesty, that I have watched Gladiator 25 times. I wore out the VHS my grandmother bought me and the DVD is also taking a beating.
    Alexander was SOOOOOOOOO disappointing. I mean, come on, Alexander (the real one) had to be one of the most determined and influential man of his day to do what he did, but the movie portrayed him just as Colin said. It was a waste of time.

AWESOME movie. It's based on a graphic novel which is based on a movie which is based on a book which is based on an actual event. I wish the complainers would loosen the wad in their panties.

VIP Member
    Most of you will remember or at least have heard the term MOLON LABE.......

When Xerxes the Persian king invaded Greece with 200,000 men. He ordered the Spartans to surrender their arms, Leonidas refused saying "Molon Labe" (Come & get them!)

The Spartan men were a tough bunch, but don't discount their women either, (you may also be familiar with this saying as well):
    this is from Seven Myths of Gun Control by Richard Poe

The Spartan women , as wives & mothers, were just as responsible for their people's victories as the men who fought on the battle field.

When a Spartan youth went to war, his mother would hand him his shield saying, "Come back carrying your shield or come back dead upon it."

A coward who fled in battle would typically throw his shield away so he could run faster. The Spartan women let their men know that if they did such a thing, they should just keep on running, for they were no longer welcome....
    Unlike the soccer moms, the women of Sparta were more concerned with instilling a warrior spirit in their men, than in the safety of them.

We stand at a crossroads in America, & it is largely the women who will choose which way we will go. Will we continue to raise our children as warriors? Or will we abandon the warrior's path, take a roll of the dice, & see what comes next? History shows us that those who turn from the warrior's path generally end up losing their freedom.
    (This book is well worth the time to read & I find myself going back to it time & time again.)

I've said something similar to his feelings that women are the key to our success.....get more moms, wives, daughters involved in shooting & it won't die off, as it appears to today.....at least we would have better odds than did the Spartans...........
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Good post. Ever read the last paragraph of book 9 of Herodotus?
    Good call on the 200,000 Persians, most people don't know that...

Spartan women are fascinating. An Athenian woman asked- "why is it Spartan women are the only women to rule over their men?" She replied "Because Spartan women are the only women to give birth to men"
    Hoplophile

VIP Member
    Best line from the movie (out of many choices.. ):
    "What would a Free Man do?"
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Good post. Ever read the last paragraph of book 9 of Herodotus?
    Good call on the 200,000 Persians, most people don't know that
    Yes, yes I have. Like you encouraged earlier, anyone more interested should read Gates of Fire by Pressfield, despite being fiction, very accurate, and one of my top 5 books.

Spartan women are fascinating and so different from other Greeks of the time (just like almost everything Spartan was).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Ok ... you all convinced me to see this one. I was not that interested due to the comerecials, even though that engagment and the actions that followed have always interested me.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

saw it again.

just as good the second time

Great!! Movie A++

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I'm sure the gun control and anti-war types hated it.

I liked it alot.

My wife even said it was OK.

I saw it and I also think its my favorite movie ever. It replaced Heat as my favorite. I am a history buff and I realize it isn't 100% accurate, but it is a movie based on a graphic novel. And they did an exceptional job of bringing it to life. I never thought movie makers could come up with all new ways to show a head/arm/leg being severed.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

VIP Member
    I like the way the Spartans were portrayed. The laughing while the arrows were falling. Awesome. I don't make a point to see many movies in the theater. I made a point to see this one in the theater and it was worth it IMO.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links