Off topic - Global Warming - Page 2

Off topic - Global Warming

This is a discussion on Off topic - Global Warming within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It really is a new religion. It has all the elements of a new age religion. You have the new 'god', believers & heretics. Just ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VIP Member
    It really is a new religion. It has all the elements of a new age religion. You have the new 'god', believers & heretics.

Just look at how this global warming conversation starts...."Do you BELIEVE in Global warming?" & "Are you a skeptic or believer?".... these are religious questions. Once a person becomes a believer of global warming, "you never have to defend this belief except to claim that you are supported by all scientists -- except for a handful of corrupted heretics".

There's an initial Eden, a paradise, a state of grace and unity with nature, there's a fall from grace into a state of pollution as a result of eating from the tree of knowledge, and as a result of our actions there is a judgment day coming for us all. We are all energy sinners, doomed to die, unless we seek salvation, which is now called sustainability. Sustainability is salvation in the church of the environment. Just as organic food is its communion, that pesticide-free wafer that the right people with the right beliefs, imbibe.
    see this: http://www.michaelcrichton.net/speec...s_quote05.html

"Environmentalism as Religion" by Michael Crichton
    Last edited by goawayfarm; March 18th, 2007 at 02:59 PM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Saw the video last week and thought it was great. I stopped believing in human-induced global warming a while ago and didn't take the IPCC (read: government UN organization)'s report as worth the paper it was written on.

The entire Solar System is warming up right now. Anyone that thinks our gas emissions are accomplishing that feat needs to buy some river bottom land from me.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member

Here is some examples of goofy warming stories, just from today's papers....

Global Warming: Moving Towards Metrosexuals
    (this one is humourous & shows these wackos for what they are:)

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman...72612158.shtml
    The latest point of emphasis in the global warming movement is that cattle farming endangers the planet by producing too much methane. So now, steaks and hamburgers are classified as instruments of destruction, along with large vehicles, lawn mowers, and charcoal grills. It can't be much longer before cowboy movies, cigars and hockey are held to be enemies of the earth as well....

...It's a wonder that liberals don't cut to the chase, by simply claiming that global warming is caused by testosterone. Then, they could make public school nurses siphon the offending fluid from the boys during health class....
    Global warming discussions in schools (how our kid's are being indoctrinated)
    http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...06/1009&theme=

Some parents question how global warming is taught in schools....

....Bill Burrell’s sixth-grade students testified before legislative committees about global warming and what Vermont can do about it.

....Jericho Elementary School students put on a play about global warming.....

....Parents who disagree with the global warming theory, or who chalk it up to environmental alarmists or political hyperbole, are finding that their points of view aren’t given the attention afforded the “other side.”....

....This has educators wondering if global warming is the next intelligent design versus evolution debate?.....

....“The real question and concern is, are we getting our science curriculum from Hollywood? Because Hollywood is known for a lot of things, but the foundation for science and critical thinking, it’s not.”

....“My concern is there just doesn’t seem to be any balance anymore,” Coss said. “It’s like if you question the science you’re actually called a denier now. It’s like the Holocaust deniers.” ?....
    A climate of fear
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/in-dep...080219538.html

Apocalyptic talk about global warming has stirred the sediment of old fears - the mushroom cloud has returned to haunt us.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

i do heating and a/c.....

i haveta put up with alot of bull$heet due to fluorocarbons.

its a huge moneymaker for large corporations, forcing equipment and tool changes.

for them to suddenly say "nm, we were wrong, forget all that research and development you've done and passed on to the consumer, and stop informing the public that they cant simply repair or piecemeal replace equipment, etc etc" would be economically unsound for Corporate America.

You Got It All Covered...

Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    global warming is a farce.

this was a great documentary, alot more fact that speculation.

al gore is an idiot. he should spend more time inventing Internet 2.0
    +1 on the idiot part...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Human Induced Global warming is a big steaming pile of bovine manure. Is there Global Warming? possible but to extrapolate 150 years of weather observations to predict weather on a sphere millions of yeard old is stupid. Also, you have to remember that we are being told these "thruths" by metereologists that cannot predict if it will rain, shine or snow in the next three days but somehow thay are smart enough to tell us what the weather will be in the next 20 years.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I think globel warming is a natural thing just like the ice age. I agree that their is a lot of pollutionand I try no to add to it. there are astroids out there that may hit the earth some day but what can I do about it?

QK has it nailed. Man is not causing global warming. The sun is.

May I point out that in the last 70's the same scientists were telling us that we were in the beginnings of the next ice age. What happened to that? Now they are telling us the Earth is warming because of us?

I would also like to point out that Mars is warming right now. In fact, the warming trend on Mars is nearly identical to Earths and its polar ice caps are melting as well. Did we cause that too? No, the sun is causing it just as it has thousands of times since the solar system formed and just it it will thousands of times after this.

Al Gore is a pin head. He needs to shut up and get his fat butt on the treadmill. I hate that he hails from the state that I call home now.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Another stake in the heart of global warming is the models completely ignore water vapor, clouds and carbon dioxide take up by increased plant growth. Why? Because it is hard to model and would take too much computation time. Or maybe because it would show no global warming due to our activities at all.

Senior Moderator
    There is Global warming. Is man causing it? Is it just a natural cycle?

Can it be used to make our country energy independent?

What would happen if the Good ole' US of A could tell the middle east and Mr. Chavez to shove it?

I don't know the answers to the first two questions but tend to think that we don't have enought data about global cycles to determine cause and effect.

The last two questions should have many good answers
    Last edited by pgrass101; March 20th, 2007 at 01:06 PM.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    I'm not going to beat any "Global Warming" (GW) drum because I believe the evidence upholds the fact that the earth will go through different cycles.

What I see is the haze whenever I fly into a major metropolitan area. The haze that hangs over the heaviest populated areas. The tons of particulate matter that are put into the atmosphere each day. How good is it to breathe all this stuff?

LA, the DC metro, SF/San Jose, Denver and Chicago. It is amazing what you can barely discern from the ground is very visible on a landing approach. I also tend to notice the burning eyes and sometimes the shortness of breath in some metro areas. So while I'm not supprter of GW, I believe we should do what we can to reduce emissions. A side benefit is that we can reduce our dependance on oil.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Sunny and 25*C yesterday...

Cloudy, windy & friggin cold today...

I have no idea what's going on, warming, cooling... all I know, couple of big volcanoes go off and we're all sitting under clouds of junk freezing our butts off.

Administrator
    Actually, I think we are in a short warming spike in an overall Earth cooling cycle due to increased solar activity.

What is Super Strange is that we are in a Solar Minimum right now...in the Solar 11 year cycle and the Sun is showing increased activity.

That probably means we're in for a wild ride for the Solar Maximum that we're headed into.
    It should be an interesting and bizarre 11 years weather wise.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Guys its IMHO all about regulation and control . What a political segment, including the U.N. has done is attempt to simplify a complex issue ( climate change ) into emotive soundbites . Not unlike what they attempt to do with gun control . I had seen the " metrosexual " article and got a good laff , but what struck me on it is
    Since no liberal cause can produce much support on its own, any one of them must ally itself with all other liberal causes, so that they can pool their resources.

That's why it's almost impossible to distinguish the original purpose of a left-wing political rally. What starts out being an 'anti-war' demonstration will invariably become an convention of environmentalists, gun control advocates, pro-abortionists, animal rights activists, racial Balkanists, and outright Communists, because that's the only way to prevent the size of the crowd from being laughably small.
    Imho the most accurate summation of the liberal causes i have seen . While we as a group ( 2nd ammendment supporters ) fragment , and in cases " eat our own " ( zumbo ) We cannot come togeather and force reform of BATFE. I personaly know BATFE has many fine dedicated Law Enforcement personel in the ranks who are 2nd supporters , but the agency as a whole is out of control . Its frustrating to me that we can take a fat tired old hunter to task on his stand on black rifles , but cannot seemingly provide a unified voice otherwise . ( had to tie it to guns you know lol ) . Just remember that NO amount of statistics or facts compairs to " Your children will die " in the 15 second soundbite war . Education is the key on many issues , but education is truely work that most of America is unwilling to do.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Aliens, Bad Science and Glocal Warming

Global warming is caused by Aliens! Yep! That's right, folks! The very moment that "science" made specious extra-terrestrial suppositions and got funding for more research, bad science and bad research has ruled the day, supported by their favorite special interest group!

It would be sad at best, and not dangerous, if the same bad science and research were not applied to guns and gun control.

Bad research results in bad "science" and bad results.......As argued so persuasively, here it is from the author:

http://www.crichton-official.com/spe...s_quote04.html

A long read, but very succinct and well said!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links