I'm going to be a police officer!

This is a discussion on I'm going to be a police officer! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by P95Carry If that is half as good as your traffic stops 101 - I shall be an interested reader!! Assuming of course ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm going to be a police officer!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    If that is half as good as your traffic stops 101 - I shall be an interested reader!! Assuming of course it's a thread.

Maybe you will just PM.

(Even if I sure won't make a cop in my old age!)
    Nah, I'll post most of them here for everyone to see, some will need to be pm'd, and a few will have to wait until he is a sworn LEO and out of training.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congrats. Glad you could make your dream job. Few do.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Congratulations. Done right, and done well, it's a noble profession. Always keep in mind we hold you to a very high standard.

SIXTO I am eager to hear any advise, please PM me with any thoughts. I decided to go into law enforcement in August. I made the final decision five days before I was supposed to start at Texas A&M. I was accepted to their Landscape Architecture School (ranked 2nd in the nation behind Cornell by the way) and was 1 of 11 transfer students accepted. I decided I was going to hate it and law enforcement was the only way for me to go. So after so deep thought and conversation with my wife and family I transfered to a community college 5 days before school started. I will have my associates degree in May.

Im young (21) and I was told that would be my biggest hurdle in getting past the oral boards. But I think and hope they saw that I'm not the average kid. I don't think I know everything and I am actually eager to learn from more experienced people.

I passed the oral board interview last Thursday and have the medical/physical fitness/drug test on Monday, which I should ace. I was told that they want to hire 100 cadets and that if I pass the oral board then I'm in the academy. They won't be able to meet the 100 mark. I'll ask about the intent to hire letter when I go on Monday.

I have always been in decent shape. I have worked from age 12 and owned my own residential lawn service since age 14 where I have worked more than my share of 10 hour days. But since February I have been doing a workout regime called P90X. Its a 90 day program where you work out at home and its alot of stuff that is broken up into 3 different regimes. It covers everything and you are definatly feeling the burn after each workout. They change so that you never plateau and are constantly improving. It was designed by Tony Horton. I'm 1/3 through it and I'm seeing a definate improvement.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

I am also waiting to get into the STLPD Academy. I have been waiting since Nov. when I completed the final testing (93rd percentile of my group). Unfortunately, there are so many applicants, it takes a while to get in. They start a class every six weeks and only take 60 people per class. I am hoping that my B.S. in Criminal Justice helps. Good luck, I hope to be joining you soon.

VIP Member
    Excellent...congrats and good luck.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Administrator

Thumbs up

Congratulations.
    That's fantastic.

Note to forum members living in Austin...take a fine-line Magic Marker and print "CombatCarry" real small somewhere on your drivers license so '75scout can let you slide on that speeding ticket.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    OK, great... youíre on your way... but cool your jets. Donít get to eager, it may be taken the wrong way (pushy). Also, be honest! They will ask you questions, lots of them. Most of them they already know the answer to. If you got into a little trouble a few years back, be honest about it. Donít minimize and donít spin the truth. They are not looking for angels, they want just a honest guy. Honesty is the key to a job.
    The fact your 21 might hurt you more than it helps you. A lot of 21 year old guys still have a lot of piss and vinegar in them. A typical 21 year old is not a good hire. Itís a liability issue. The younger the guy the more likely he is going to get into trouble. Intoxicated by the perceived power, gun and women. Yes, there is such thing as the "badge bunny"... stay far away. Also, the fear is that a young guy has no idea what he wants to do yet, and has no idea what the job is all about.
    I am not telling you this to rain on your parade, but to prep. you for whatís heading your way. You need to present yourself as a mature 25 or 30, not 21. It sounds like you have already done this in the oral board, but you still have a way to go.
    Keep a low profile, and do not present yourself as a Tackleberry! Nobody wants a Tackleberry, keep your interest in guns on a low profile. The job really does have hardly anything to do with guns, and it makes admin. think you are getting into the job for the wrong reasons.
    More to come as I think of itÖ
    "Just blame Sixto"

congrats and thanks for choosing to serve , now more about them badge bunnies .who said we didn't need ccw badges ? man badge bunnies ! and it's almost Easter . lol

elance

Congrats. That pay raise didn't hurt either.

Congratulations. Be safe out there and keep your head down. Also, be nice to the bikers from Houston. We only go to Austin for the music.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Congrats & welcome aboard!!

I know Sixto's a wise, old, man... & will guide you in the right direction.

Of course, I'm not familiar with Texas P.O.'s requirements. Do you have to take a polygraph & a psych exam & interview? In California, you usually get a "Chief's interview" (Which may be with a Captain instead), & he'll/they'll give you an offer to hire with the contention that you pass the physical/medical exam & the psych (Which usually consists of a couple long multiple choice questions for a total of about 900-1200+, & then an interview with the good Dr.). What do you have to do for Austin, TX.?

Lastly, if I can be of any assistance, PM me.

Good luck!
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

This link details the hiring process. http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/police/recruiting/hiring.htm It was similar to the process you mentioned, but a little different order. Also the oral boards was with 1 PO, 1 SPO, 2 Sergents, and 1 Corporal.

SIXTO, all good advise. I've been living by the "fly under the radar" moto all my life. But is always good to be reminded. And I take the flak about my age in stride. They said I looked sixteen in the oral boards and poked a little fun at me. I thought it was funny and laughed along too. It's no secret I'm obsessed with guns, but I can keep that fact hidden if I need to.

I just want all my peers and superiors to know that I will stand by them and put myself in harms way to protect them. I have always known what I wanted to do with my life, I just recently decided to persue it. But I just happen to be younger than most of the other cadets. It will take some time, but my actions should speak for themselves. Please send me any more advise/critisim.

Administrator
    I dont mean to critisize at all, or even give you flak. I just want you to understand the other side of the coin, so you will have a better shot at getting in.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Oh I consider it good critisism. Or just good advise to prepare me, that kight be a better way to describe it. And I was told as long as I pass a physical/drug test I'm in the academy. I am already on the eligibility list (ranked #11 out of 31 so far). I guess it is possible something could happen, but I've been told by several recruiters that I'm in and I already signed some paperwork, but not the intent to hire letter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links