SIXTO's Guide to becoming a good LEO

This is a discussion on SIXTO's Guide to becoming a good LEO within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Although I don't have an interest in the job, this has been a good read. Thanks guys....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SIXTO's Guide to becoming a good LEO

kpw
    Although I don't have an interest in the job, this has been a good read. Thanks guys.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    awesome read six.. thanks for taking the time to post it
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Sixto - great read! I think all too often the public forgets just how difficult a job LE is. IMHO the job looks to be very multi-faceted with some serious highs and lows. It has to be taxing both physically and emotionally. With respect to it just being common sense(of course most things in life are just common sense); I think you are being way too humble. Thank you and all the other LEO's on the board that dedicate your life to keeping others safe.

It is truly appreciated and most of all stay safe!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    Sixto, if you don't mind, I'd like to copy your list. I'm also on peer support for my Dept. & "supposedly" trained for de-briefing on critical incidents. Thanks for starting this thread & sorry about rambling.
    I'd be honored. Feel free.

More added.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    damm we are gonna have to start the " sixto " show , now i have dibs on the " barney " charictor .. chris can you whistle ?? LOL

< note to all ... posted in good fun and good info here , i just dont want six getting a head on himself LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    would it make you feel better if I added #31. dont get a big head?
    lol.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Roflmao
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Good post Six, your post came through true. I grew up a cop brat, and some of the reasons I didn't become a cop are in your list.
    Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
    Muhammad Ali

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Six , you honestly need a companion thread " Mentaly surviving your co workers, supervisors , and concerned citizens " to go with this one lol .
    That one is done already

God, give me the strength to change what I can, the patience to accept what I cannot, and the calm, sane disposition I need to avoid ripping the heads off people who say mindlessly offensive things when I'm around
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Thanks for this.........Kind of made me fell back in the OSI squadron!!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

i really just enjoyed sitting back and reading all of this. great post SIX... as always.
    What's this button do?

Interesting Read...

I worked in schools my whole life...and I headed an entire district in Michigan. I had several good friends, who did not work in schools...one was a doctor (who could openly ***** about the hospital politics), a cop who was a Head Honcho... (he felt comfortable discussing the politics he faced)..., and one who ran a rather large construction organization (he faced many problems)...

We could all discuss life and the situations we faced without feeling a backstab coming...

I can remember being on the front page of the local print one week...something stupid, and getting a call from the Sheriff...thanking me for taking up the front page space (it meant that he wasn't there)...we had lots of laughs and felt it was an excellent way to vent our daily frustrations and pains (you need to be able to do that...safely)...with someone not in the same business!

I'm sure it's like that for most everyone...
    In school, I sometimes felt like a cop without a gun...although I had other measures at my disposal to 'effect' solutions to 'problems'...

Hey SIXTO, nice points...and...if I should head North this summer...I be willing to stop and buy you a cup of coffee...if you're working near the x-way...I'd like to put a face with a handle...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wanted to re-emphasize that when you are off-duty be off-duty. Turn the scanner off and enjoy your time away from work. You need the mental health time. Trust me, I do.

Like SIXTO said, be friends with and be nice to the dispatcher (I am one). If your dispatchers dispatch for more than one agency whether it be more than one pd or PD/Fire/EMS, realize you may not be the only one that gets their attention.

Learn how to use the radio properly. You will use your radio more than you use your gun.

If you are off duty and the tornado sirens in your town are going off and there are dark clouds in the sky, take cover. Don't call the dispatcher to ask where the storm is or why the sirens are sounding. We are slammed at the moment answering the phones from the scared citizens. "Why's the sirens going off?" Be responsible for you and yours. We dont have the time.

(rant off)
    Press the fight!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Hey SIXTO, nice points...and...if I should head North this summer...I be willing to stop and buy you a cup of coffee...if you're working near the x-way...I'd like to put a face with a handle...

ret
    Sure, and yes I work near the major artery from FL to Ohio. I might shock you though if you did meet me.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeState1977 View Post
    Learn how to use the radio properly. You will use your radio more than you use your gun.

If you are off duty and the tornado sirens in your town are going off and there are dark clouds in the sky, take cover. Don't call the dispatcher to ask where the storm is or why the sirens are sounding. We are slammed at the moment answering the phones from the scared citizens. "Why's the sirens going off?" Be responsible for you and yours. We dont have the time.

(rant off)
    LOL, they do that in MO too? Great point about the radio. I'll add to keep your radio traffic short and sweet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Actually this thread brings back an memory from years ago.

Had a good friend while in the USAF who had been 20 years in LE, retired and went LE in town (a small place of 40,000). He'd been doing the civilian thing for 4 years when I decided not to reup and was thinking hard on an LE career. He sat me down for a cup of coffee and a long serious friend to friend talk about the future and the realities of life as a police officer.

His final comment was that after knowing me for several years he figured that I would make a good LEO but that being a good LEO would not be good for me. He figured that I was already cynical enough and that police work would just reinforce that too much! I also saw everything ( and still do ) in stark black and white, no gray. He said he'd even put in a good word for me with the sheriff but to think real hard about how the job would effect me and my marriage.

Looking back it was darn good advice! Not everyone is meant for different careers for certain.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links