SIXTO's Guide to becoming a good LEO - Page 3

SIXTO's Guide to becoming a good LEO

This is a discussion on SIXTO's Guide to becoming a good LEO within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Thanks for mentioning the LEO families. Now I understand a few of the "quirks" my DH has about certain things. tk...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SIXTO's Guide to becoming a good LEO

Thanks for mentioning the LEO families. Now I understand a few of the "quirks" my DH has about certain things.
    tk

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Some add-on tips from my brief stints as an LEO, corrections officer, and security officer:

Don't insulate yourself into the LEO community, but be open to the whole community. (To restate what others have said) In other words, don't live by the "us v. them" mentality. This is why citizens think of LEOs as pigs instead of people. Always remember that you are a citizen first, LEO second.

On the other hand, doubt seriously anyone who suddenly wants to be your friend, especially while you're in uniform. Remember that true friends won't make you tarnish your duty to uphold and abide by the law.

Office politics barely scratched the surface. Don't let a coworker or supervisor lead you down the road to the "dark side". No justifications for skirting the law, either on your own or incidental to your work.

If your supervisors treat you like a 2 year old or juvenile delinquent, QUIT and move on.

If you ever start to think that the barrel of your gun might go down easier with a little ketchup, GET HELP! Seriously, an LEO from a nearby dept. told me that the citizens would be horrified if they knew how many LEOs punched their own ticket. Also related this to the adversarial relationship the street cops had with the brass.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    If your supervisors treat you like a 2 year old or juvenile delinquent, QUIT and move on.

More often than not, you can train a supervisor on how to supervise you. You just need to be smarter than the material your working with.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    damm we are gonna have to start the " sixto " show , now i have dibs on the " barney " charictor .. chris can you whistle ?? LOL
    SIXTO'S Circus would be a cool name for it. You can have one of the sideshows if you want.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Perfect timing SIXTO! I came home tonight with the intent on looking at which area agencies are hiring. Please keep the info coming.

What are the best/worst parts of the job? My main reason for considering a change right now is the simple fact that you never know what's next. Right now, I know tomorrow I'll go to work 40feet underground, in a darkened room with padded walls(really!), and look at microscopic samples that literally mean NOTHING for 12 hours. This pattern will likely continue until I can't stand it anymore.

I would much rather be going from place to place doing all the stuff I hear on my scanner. Even chasing some old ladys cat would suit me fine. I am also curious about the reports. Are you really writing reports for 1/2 of the day?
    "Learn as if you'll live forever...Live as if you'll die tomorrow" - SOULFLY

Where am I going....and why am I in a hand basket???

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tj1231 View Post
    Perfect timing SIXTO! I came home tonight with the intent on looking at which area agencies are hiring. Please keep the info coming.

What are the best/worst parts of the job? My main reason for considering a change right now is the simple fact that you never know what's next. Right now, I know tomorrow I'll go to work 40feet underground, in a darkened room with padded walls(really!), and look at microscopic samples that literally mean NOTHING for 12 hours. This pattern will likely continue until I can't stand it anymore.

I would much rather be going from place to place doing all the stuff I hear on my scanner. Even chasing some old ladys cat would suit me fine. I am also curious about the reports. Are you really writing reports for 1/2 of the day?

The good, the bad, and the ugly- heres the scoop.

The things I like is as you said, everyday is different. I get to dabble in all kinds of subjects and it pays off to know a little bit about a lot of stuff. It's pretty cool when you are able to snatch up a BG after a lot of work, a chase etc.
    You also get to meet lots of interesting people... on both sides of the fence.
    There is also tons of freedom in my job. My "office" is about 20 square miles. If I want to hang out in the city, I can. The country, I can. There are plenty of things to do and places to go to keep me entertained. That beats a cubicle any day.
    If I'm tired or ill, I really dont have to do much of anything, other than being there. If I am feeling feisty, I can write tickets all day, or hunt down wanted people. There is lots to do when I want to, and nothing to do when I dont want to.
    Thats just a very superficial look at the surface, there is a lot more good in the job.

The Bad...
    Dealing with the misconceptions about LE. Its a PIA, and it gets old quick. Stupid questions get tiresome, and people always interrupt your lunch/dinner break. If you sit down in a restaurant, and I guarantee someone will come over and say "Gee, I hate to bother you, but since you are here, can you fix my moronic problem that happened 6 years ago in other city that I have let get out of hand and never bothered to try and take care of myself?" or "Can you talk to Jr. about eating his vegetables, and when your done, go out to your car and get him a sticker? I scared the crap out of my kid telling him I was going to arrest/shoot or just haul him off for not eating his carrots, can you fix that too? I know your food is getting cold while you are entertaining me, but I dont care."
    Then there’s my "favorite" When ever a LEO walks into a room, why does some mouth breather always say "I didnt do it!" Its a stupid joke, its not funny, and I hear it at least ten times a day. It really gets on my nerves, as you can tell by my ranting I'm sure.

Then there is the people you deal with... Lets say your work in a suburb city with 20k people. You will deal with about the same 50 people day in and out. Another 50 on a regular basis, and the rest are decent people and you hardly ever deal with them, until on of those 100 breaks into a good guys car or something like that.
    Most of these 100 people’s problems are brought on by their own stupidity and they continue to make their problems worse. I think they thrive on the turmoil. Best case for this is "Telephone harassment". These people want you to stop people from calling them, when they are just as guilty as the "offending" party. They call each other, threatening all kinds of stuff. You go through all the work of pulling phone records etc., only to find out the calls were going in both directions. I think its the welfare sucks way of entertaining themselves. Yes, I really did just say that. I have never been on that type of call in a nice neighborhood with working people.
    The city's welfare community calls you to entertain them. They will call for any reason they can come up with. Everything from their beloved TV is broke, to their parakeet died. If you’re smart, you will flip the tables and use them to entertain you.
    People also think you are their collection agency. They want you to be their daddy. You have to deal with people in custody battle during a divorce. That is the worst. People get so focused on one upping the ex, they forget about the damage they are doing to the kid(s). All I have to say to that is GROW UP!

I can go on but I am just ranting now, so I'll stop on the bad.

Reports... they are not bad in my Dept., but some places they are bad. I know of some that require a report for every contact with the public you have. The really bad part about the paperwork is when a citizen insists on a "report" for something asinine that means nothing and will go no where.
    I dont spend anywhere near half my day with paperwork. You get quick at it, and you learn whats needed and where to spend your time
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think its the welfare sucks way of entertaining themselves. Yes, I really did just say that.
    LMAO. Now that's funny stuff there!

Thanks for the detailed info you are providing here. It really is appreciated.
    "Learn as if you'll live forever...Live as if you'll die tomorrow" - SOULFLY

Where am I going....and why am I in a hand basket???

Sixto that was some very good advice. I see now how some cops manage to screw things up.

Good read SIXTO, just keep the good ideas coming. Very interesting.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Remember folks in any small town or neighborhood there is only one thief , The rest of the miserable ba$tards are just reclaiming thier property in what they know as an expedient manner LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    I love the people who say "Well, this is Niceville, I dont need to lock my doors." And do you think the thieves are going to go to the bad neighborhoods to do their crimes?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    And do you think the thieves are going to go to the bad neighborhoods to do their crimes?
    Most larger departments maintain a map of the town/city, showing where crimes occur. Though, in some places, those maps don't show everything. That, or a simple discussion with the local LEO can be quite illuminating, in terms of where things are going down.

Think: "If I were a BG, where would I have the best luck ... in the projects, or over on Bellvue Court? Hm ... tough choice, yeah?"
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Those maps can be very misleading. You see tons of crimes in the poorer neighborhoods, just like you will see tons of cow pies on a dairy farm.
    BUT, the stench spreads for miles around. The less desirable people go to where the stuff is to steal.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    A lot of crimes in poor neighborhoods where the net gain is under 100 bucks ( they stole my tv i got at wally world ) . Less numbers of crimes in " better " areas but more $$ per crime . If your walkin you are a " homey " , if you can get a ride by any means you go where the money is .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    Good news is the violent crime mostly stays close to the 'hood, but it does spill over from time to time.
    A big problem that we are dealing with is the "suburban homeboy". These are middle class kids who like to pretend they are something they are not. Some of them are more dangerous than the real deal, because they feel like they have something to prove.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links