Spring!

This is a discussion on Spring! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ah, Spring in South Texas. The blooms are on the mesquite, which means no more frost. Which also means, the tomatoes are planted! 8 different ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring!

Spring!

Ah, Spring in South Texas.

The blooms are on the mesquite, which means no more frost. Which also means, the tomatoes are planted! 8 different varieties this year, including some heirloom strains, plus a couple of different types of basil.

Of course, my young bride would also point out that gardening is more than just stuff you can eat. We note a plethora of poppies, larkspur, gerber daisies, and the roses are just going berserk! It won't be long before we start seeing bluebonnets, the state flower.

Looks like a colorful (and appetizing) season ahead!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Yep, I just went for a walk and saw the first leaves breaking out on a willow tree...that particular shade of green is one of my favorite colors...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    Ah yes, spring in N. MI. fresh snow fall, hrash cold winds , mixed with warmer ,snow melting days. Next comes the freezing rain and melting lakes. Many fools leave their ice fishing shantys on the ice too long. Gotta love it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    I was in Mississauga Canada last week and had to shovel snow.

Got back to Alabama on Saturday and i had to mow the lawn on Sunday after church.

That's just not fair
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Assistant Administrator
    Yep, I just went for a walk and saw the first leaves breaking out on a willow tree...that particular shade of green is one of my favorite colors
    This for me too is very special. From skinny looking all brown slopes on the ridges and mountains - comes what I call the ''green haze'' ....... not leaves yet but all the buds just beginning to open.

Most snow has gone now except for shady spots (and of course the snow mountains in big parking lots!). The ground tho is saturated and can't wait for that to begin some drying out.

Spring is very much the season of rekindled hope and a fresh start .... until for me it gets to where days get too hot again!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

ahh spring!!!

AHHHHHH----CHOOOOOOO!!!!

pollen, mold, allergies....

ahhh, spring...

Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    ahh spring!!!

AHHHHHH----CHOOOOOOO!!!!

ahhh, spring...
    Amen brother, the humidier and Sudafed haven't slowed down in two weeks. Of course the first thing to bloom was those damned Bradford Pears - nothing but pollen and white petals blowing around all day!
    Jack

Here it goes from winter, directly into summer.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Amen brother, the humidier and Sudafed haven't slowed down in two weeks. Of course the first thing to bloom was those damned Bradford Pears - nothing but pollen and white petals blowing around all day!
    Jack
    +1 to both you and Briansmech. I think my allergies are allergic to me. Sudafed, Benedryl, Allegra, and Albuterol cocktails all around!
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Plums in bloom, peaches coming on and leaves bursting out.......,but it snowed last night. hopefully it doesn't kill the blooms, if it does no fruit.

BBQ'd last weekend...

Snow last night

Spring on the Palouse, wait 5 minutes and we'll see what the weather wants to do.

Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    ahh spring!!!

AHHHHHH----CHOOOOOOO!!!!

ahhh, spring...

And T-Storms, hail, and tornadoes. Bring it on Toto.
    Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
    Muhammad Ali

Spring....we had that a while ago. I think it was a tuesday back in February or so. Now we're getting into it's going to be hot soon.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Ah, Spring in South Texas.

The blooms are on the mesquite, which means no more frost. Which also means, the tomatoes are planted! 8 different varieties this year, including some heirloom strains, plus a couple of different types of basil.

Of course, my young bride would also point out that gardening is more than just stuff you can eat. We note a plethora of poppies, larkspur, gerber daisies, and the roses are just going berserk! It won't be long before we start seeing bluebonnets, the state flower.

Looks like a colorful (and appetizing) season ahead!
    If you have Blue Bonnets in your part of Texas, please PM me when they come in...one my wife's favorite memories of being stationed at Fort Hood is of Blue Bonnets--she'll get a kick out of knowing they're in bloom! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    If you have Blue Bonnets in your part of Texas, please PM me when they come in...one my wife's favorite memories of being stationed at Fort Hood is of Blue Bonnets--she'll get a kick out of knowing they're in bloom! Thanks!
    Dear old Ft. Hood. I, too, have nightma. . . er, fond memories of the place! Garryowen!

With the rain we've had, and are likely to have, it looks like a stellar season for wildflowers. We usually spot the first bluebonnets on the road to Corpus Christi. I'll let you know when they start showing up.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links