Recoloring a polymer frame...

This is a discussion on Recoloring a polymer frame... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I will be purchasing a Hi-Point carbine soon. The problem is, I could only get it in camo. I would like to know of some ...

Thread: Recoloring a polymer frame...

Recoloring a polymer frame...

I will be purchasing a Hi-Point carbine soon.

The problem is, I could only get it in camo.

I would like to know of some inexpensive ways to recolor the frame grey, dark-blue, dark-green, desert tan, etc.

Spray paint, brush/sponge, professional help?
    If anti-gun legislators truly believed that guns kill people, the guns would be on the witness stand and the assailent would be holding the "Exhibit A" sign.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I would suggest a good quality spray paint that is " baked on " under heat/uv lights myself . Glock frames supposedly will stand up to 400 degrees or so, but i wouldn't count on it on any polymer frame, much less a discount gun such as high point . With lights you can " cure " the paint without the heat , similar to what they do in the automotive industry .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

What about Duracoat or Brownell's Alumahyde II? Which one of these is easier to use?
    If anti-gun legislators truly believed that guns kill people, the guns would be on the witness stand and the assailent would be holding the "Exhibit A" sign.

While i do not have direct experience with either , and i most likely would not use a shaker can paint since i have the equipment to do otherwise . From what i have seen online folks have had good luck with the duracoat , it seems to be reasonably durable and accepts toutchups readily ( no fadeing as it cures ) . I am fortunate myself in both having the tools needed to paint , and a buddy who paints custom harleys to call for advise or dump a project on .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

VIP Member
    Check this out. It's better than doing the refinish. Second link sells at a good price.

HI-POINT 9MM STOCK

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...u=00019HIP9000
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Good link(s) , and may be in order , if the OP doesnt really want to tinker .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Good link(s) , and may be in order , if the OP doesnt really want to tinker .
    I've considered getting a Hi-Point and the Advanced Technology stock and using it for a throw away gun. Put it in a rack behind the seat of the truck or throw it in the trunk of the car. If it gets stolen you've only got maybe $250 in it including shipping and everything else. If I hit it right I can do it for less than $200. Hi-Point is not a sniper weapon, but it goes bang when you pull the trigger. I would not put my Beretta Cx4 in the trunk or behind the seat. I feel strange about keeping my Marlin 336 behind the seat in the truck.

I may yet do it. I want to think about it some more. I have found the parkerized HP carbines for less than $140 on occasion. I could probably pick up a used one for $100 on the right day. Invest $50 in the stock and have something that is usable and yet forgetable if I lose it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I've seen the new stocks for the Hi-Point 995, but I can't justify the expenditure... Not to mention I actually prefer the factory stock .

I'm still a novice at firearms (I started early last year and this one will be my second), so a complete takedown and refinish of a firearm is beyond my current skill level...I must grudgingly admit...
    Last edited by Wheel-man; March 23rd, 2007 at 09:20 PM.

Well Wheel the HP would be a great gun to learn on imho since if you screw up you are not out a heck of a lot of $$ . I know that " a lot of $$" is a variable term depending on what each of us deal with but mention it in the aspect of as compared to other firearms . Pulling the action out of the stock and repainting the stock should pose no real problem to you assuming you can run a screwdriver , punch , or whateaver simple cheap tools are needed . Care will be needed not to deface screws, ect , and masking off areas you do not want painted . Useing a heatlight to cure or bake paint should take care of any stock warpage concerns . Other than that heck paint it , if you decide you dont like the job you did , then repaint it . Shoot make it pink with purple bows for the wife , its all good because it can all be fixed .

pink with bows huh

Thanks!
    Last edited by Wheel-man; March 23rd, 2007 at 10:05 PM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    I've considered getting a Hi-Point and the Advanced Technology stock and using it for a throw away gun. Put it in a rack behind the seat of the truck or throw it in the trunk of the car. If it gets stolen you've only got maybe $250 in it including shipping and everything else. If I hit it right I can do it for less than $200.
    Please dont do this. Its not the money you might lose, its the fact that you will arm the person who breaks into your truck to steal your spare change. You may only loose a pos gun, someone else may lose their life.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Please dont do this. Its not the money you might lose, its the fact that you will arm the person who breaks into your truck to steal your spare change. You may only loose a pos gun, someone else may lose their life.
    Thanks, SIXTO. I was only thinking of the cost of the item and not of the arming possiblity. Anybody that breaks into my truck won't find much they are interested in. I don't keep money, even change, in the truck. The jumper cables, the umbrella, and the flashlight are just about the extent of it.
    George

Its fine to have a truck , or trunk gun , but take some extra precautions to secure it . Cutting off the locks i have would most likely render the weapon useless as a firearm . You could do it in a shop , but not on the street imho . As a note i dont drive any " yuppiemobiles " that are magnets for thieves either lol .

Just got my 995 today.

Now to take it to the range and give it a good workout.

I will try to post pics when the recolrring is done.

Links