Tell Me About Keflex?

This is a discussion on Tell Me About Keflex? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hello, I have pneumonia. The doctor gave me some stuff called Keflex, a seven day supply. For the past couple days I've been mostly sleeping, ...

Thread: Tell Me About Keflex?

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Tell Me About Keflex?

Hello,

I have pneumonia.

The doctor gave me some stuff called Keflex, a seven day supply. For the past couple days I've been mostly sleeping, then making myself get up and excercise a bit to keep from drowning.

It seems I screwed up on the dosing a bit. I would just assume, in my fevered state, that a day had passed when, in reality, it may have been more like six or eight hours between waking periods. Instead of running out of theis Keflex stuff on Wed as I should, I'll be running out Monday.

The good news though is I can tell time again, and I shouldn't screw up the dosing anymore.

My question is, will the overdose affect the medicine? I know it's not effecting me at all. I'm concerned however that perhaps not all will be absorbed.

As I'd rather suffer through illness than pop pills I don't have much experience with dosing etc.

Should I call the pharmacy or doc and tell them I screwed the pooch, or should it turn out OK?

Thanks,

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

Josh - I've used the stuff for pneumonia - don't remember much because I was also 'way out of it' .

The linked page is kinda techy but if it can't answer your Q's I'd talk to your Pharmacist .

Dogman,

Thank you sir.

Josh <><

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Its an antibiotic that can have side effects ( drowsy being one ). A single double dose is harmless other than as stated you may feel " goofy " for a bit . Take the full course of the med unless you see other effects , if you do then contact your Dr. before you quit . It is part of the new generation of treatment that will kick the crap out of antibotic resistant bugs so dont quit early unless directed to .

Edited to add:

Most likely you should not leave the house while under the script since that would involve either or both driveing or carrying lol.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator

Post CEPHALEXIN / Keflex

You might want to give a quick call to your doctor because he/she may wish to extend your course of antibiotic for another two days.
    Probably not but, it's possible.
    (see below) for Keflex

HOW TO USE: Take this medication by mouth usually every 6 or 12 hours, or as directed by your doctor.
    You may take this medicine with food if stomach upset occurs.
    Antibiotics work best when the amount of medicine in your body is kept at a constant level. Therefore, take this drug at evenly spaced intervals.
    Continue to take this medication until the full-prescribed amount is finished even if symptoms disappear after a few days.
    Stopping this medication too early may allow bacteria to continue to grow, which may result in a relapse of the infection.
    Inform your doctor if your condition persists or worsens.

Probably not an issue, but I would let your provider know what happened and let him/her tell you what (s)he thinks is the right thing for you to do next. By the way, the generic formulation, cephalexin, is $4 per standard rx from Walmart, with or without insurance. Tell your doc to quit writing for name brand medicines if it can be avoided.

For the uninsured on the forum, Wally world has a pretty good deal on many very important generic medicines for blood pressure, heart failure, antibiotics, antidepressants, antiinflammatories, cholesterol meds, and many others... sorry no narcotics. The cost is $4 for a regular month supply. KMart and Target have similar programs. Check it out and ask your doctor. Also, dollar stores often have useful over the counter medicines for $1, such as acetominophen/ibuprofen/cough and cold meds (no pseuedoephedrine)/laxatives/aspirin/etc... I hope this was useful.

NMG
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

Administrator

Thumbs up newmexiglock

" I hope this was useful." - Yes, it was.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

A few comments from a survivor of pneumonia (5 times) and Keflex. Like stated above I'd call my doc as the time length you take it can be as important as the dose. Also, my reaction to the stuff after about 10 days was a wonderful case of dysentery. Lousy way to loose weight but it works! I do tend to have strange reactions to medications though.

Once you've had pneumonia you are often at a higher risk to contract it again if there has been any scaring. I am and have to guard myself carefully about getting sick and caring for myself if I get sick.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Ok, time for a medical professional to jump in (I'm a practicing Physician Assistant for the past 18 1/2 years). Keflex is a first generation Cephalosporin, which should work well for your pneumonia. At this point, don't worry about the overdose, it's not an issue. Do call your doctor first thing Monday, or even better, call his service. Either he will be on call, or there will be someone on call for him. Tell the person who returns you call the whole story. They may just want to call in the extra meds now. Do not let yourself run out of antibiotics, as it can lead to the building of resistant bacteria. And, if you fail to improve on Keflex. let the doc know as soon as possible. Sounds like it's working, so you should do well. Sometimes there is a different class of bacteria (mycoplasma) that requires a different med. but it sounds like you're on the mend without much to worry about except needing the extra Keflex. Good Luck.

Gents,

I thank you.

I called my pharmacist and he said it was not an issue because I did not do the double-dose thing intentionally on the first day as I do with most other antibiotics, EES being my favorite of all of 'em.

I'm 100&#37; better than when I started this thread, and I look to be fully healed in a week.

ELCruisr,

I certainly hear you. I had pneumonia first when I was 3. This would have been circa 1980, and I remember an oxygen tent and the nurses pounding me repeatedly on the back to make me cough. Every year since, I've had bronchitis. I seemed unable to defend against it until a few years ago, when I just started beating it for some odd reason. This year however, I was paid back in spades.

Josh <><

Links