Near Death Experience

This is a discussion on Near Death Experience within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Squawker She helped me to dress on the floor (I was only partially dressed). She then called 911. This is one of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Near Death Experience

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    She helped me to dress on the floor (I was only partially dressed). She then called 911.
    This is one of the few exceptions to the EMS rule: If you had time to dress him first, it's not an emergency!

Hint for next time: EMS carries sheets and blankets. Dude!

Also: The redness and swelling could have indicated a blood clot.

There are many many subtle things that will take you out besides ammo!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Glad to hear that you're on the mend.

Take care of yourself.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Hope you get to feeling better real soon. AT least your out of the hospital . After three days it can drive you nuts.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    This is one of the few exceptions to the EMS rule: If you had time to dress him first, it's not an emergency!

Hint for next time: EMS carries sheets and blankets. Dude!

Also: The redness and swelling could have indicated a blood clot.

There are many many subtle things that will take you out besides ammo!

Thanks for caring. But, it took only minutes to slip my pants on, and I felt a lot better that way. And you're right, ambulances do have sheets and blankets. At least, the ones that I rode on as a Paramedic for 22 years did. As far as the redness and swelling indicating a blood clot, well, I'm prone to cellulitis, and the leg wasn't that swollen. Keep in mind that I do know the difference, even when I'm experiencing a rough time. But you're right, blood clots can present that way.

And, just to correct a misconception, I was perfectly conscious on the bathroom floor, I was just too weak to get up off of the floor!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    usually waits until the vultures start flying overhead before we head out for medical assistance...been there, done that...

PA? You should have suspected something sooner...oh, wait a minute...one of the male species...OK, I understand!

Glad you're feeling much better...stay healthy!

ret
    That's the truth! Hope you continue to get better sqwauker. I'm still a young'n by most folks standards here. Funny I had a similar situation about 6 months ago. I had noticed a slight itch around my elbow area but didn't think anything of it for about a week or so. About another week later I noticed I was feeling extremely lethargic and just figured I was picking up the flu or something. My boss started to take notice that I was "dragging" pretty much all that day and suggested I go home and sleep it off. I never put two and two together until the next morning when I woke up and my arm above and below my elbow was about the size of a football. I also had little to no mobility in my arm. I managed to drive myself to the 24hr emergency care. The nurse did the usual routine and discovered (among other things) that I was running around a 104 fever. At that point a Doc came in rather quickly and they promptly got me on a gurney and started getting out REALLY big needles. I forget what exactly they called it...septic something or other. Needless to say the doc said if I had waited any longer there was a possibility they would have had to amputate my arm above the elbow to keep the infection from spreading any further. As it was, they had me on IV antibiotics after they fixed my arm. Enough of my waiting for the vultures.

Good luck and hope you get well soon.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Squaker, glad your getting better

Wow. What are some of the symtoms? How is this skin deal start or caused?

I'm a speaker of potato head, so go easy. ;)

Glad you're doing better, sounds scary!
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    "That's the truth! Hope you continue to get better sqwauker. I'm still a young'n by most folks standards here. Funny I had a similar situation about 6 months ago. I had noticed a slight itch around my elbow area but didn't think anything of it for about a week or so. About another week later I noticed I was feeling extremely lethargic and just figured I was picking up the flu or something. My boss started to take notice that I was "dragging" pretty much all that day and suggested I go home and sleep it off. I never put two and two together until the next morning when I woke up and my arm above and below my elbow was about the size of a football. I also had little to no mobility in my arm. I managed to drive myself to the 24hr emergency care. The nurse did the usual routine and discovered (among other things) that I was running around a 104 fever. At that point a Doc came in rather quickly and they promptly got me on a gurney and started getting out REALLY big needles. I forget what exactly they called it...septic something or other. Needless to say the doc said if I had waited any longer there was a possibility they would have had to amputate my arm above the elbow to keep the infection from spreading any further. As it was, they had me on IV antibiotics after they fixed my arm. Enough of my waiting for the vultures.

Good luck and hope you get well soon."

Thanks for the good wishes. Sounds like you had a rough time yourself 6 months ago. The docs at the Urgent Care were worried about the possibility of septic shock, and the mortality from that approaches 100%, as not too many people pull through from it. I did have one little girl that I was treating 13 years ago, when I worked in the Sunrise Children's Hospital Peds ICU. She pulled through a bout of septic shock, only to develop it again a few months later, and that time she didn't make it. You were indeed looking at a situation that at the very best had you losing your arm, and at the other end, losing your life. After my experience, it's difficult to tell someone to look out for things like that. But I know that you'll keep a close eye on skin lesions in the future. I'm glad that we both pulled through ok.
    Best of luck in the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links