Near Death Experience

Near Death Experience

This is a discussion on Near Death Experience within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, a few days at the beginning of the month, I began to feel bad, but a very nonspecific way. I was tired, to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Near Death Experience

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

Near Death Experience

Well, a few days at the beginning of the month, I began to feel bad, but a very nonspecific way. I was tired, to the point that I slept almost the entire day one day. Then I began to be very thirsty, and weak. I found that I could walk only as far as the bathroom. I would drink from the bathroom faucets. My wife is a musician, with a crazy sleep schedule. She frequently goes to bed at 4 am, and sleep until 2-3 pm. She would get me drinks when she was up and here, but obviously, she couldn't when she was asleep or working. I finally noticed that my left leg was red and warm, indicating celluitis. The following day, my wife was out. I needed to use the restroom, but I was too weak to walk. I climbed out of the bed onto the floor, and crawled to the john. When finished, I tried to return the same way, but now whenever I put weight on my right knee, I felt too much pain to try to crawl. So, I attempted to "slither" as far as the carpeted bedroom. But, the floor would not let me do it. When my wife returned, I had been on the bathroom floor for 1 1/2 hours. She helped me to dress on the floor (I was only partially dressed). She then called 911. The Paramedics had to use an orthopedic (AKA "Scoop") stretcher to get me off of the floor and out of the bathroom. They put my in the ambulance, and tried to start an IV. I was so dehydrated, that multiple attempts by 2 of them were unsuccessful. I was taken to Summerlin Hospital here in Vegas. In the ER, the nurses had the same problem as the Paramedics. Fortunately, a nursing student, on his last day, with his finals the next morning, was able to start 2 lines, and I could get fluids and they could draw blood. It turned out that in addition to the cellulitis, I was in a metaboloic acidosis, my blood sugar was high, and I had hypocalcemia and hypomagnesemia. All of these could have killed me. I spent 24 ours in the ER. They took me to radiology where a PIC line was inserted, so that they could have patent lines. As I left radiology, they took me to the intermediate care unit. Originally, I was to go to ICU, but fortunately, I improved enough so that ICU wasn't needed.
    I spent a total of 2 weeks in the hospital, undergoing tests, etc. There were a few confusing things (for the docs), for instance a blood culture was positive one day, not the next, positive the following day, then not again. I had 3 MRIS., 2 with contrast. and a nuclear scan. I was discharged on home antibiotics for 6 weeks. Final diagnosis of the remaining problems was cellulitis of the left leg, with possible mild osteomyelitis of the foot.
    Home health was the proverbial chinese fire drill. The discharge case manager got my phone number from insurance records, which were incredibly old. My insurance has the right information. The hospital had the correct information. And since I was there, they could have asked me. Instead, they used the old information, which had my phone number from 1991-2000, when I moved to California. Since returning to Vegas in August 2005, I've had a new number. So, the case manager gave to home health agency the wrong phone number to reach me. I was up at 7am waiting for the medicine. At 10, I left a message for the case mgr to call, as I needed to start the antibiotics. At 1, I called again, and left another message. Finally, at 2pm, just before I was going to call back, and let them know I was calling the hospital administrator, I received a call from the case mgr. She gave me the number for the agency. I called them, and was told that the pharmacy wouldn't release the meds until they talked with me. I asked for the number, but the nurse said that she would call. At 4:45. I called the agency back, and they finally gave me the pharmacy number. They said ok, and I would get it between 5 and 7pm. The guy sowed up at 6"45pm, and the home nurse came by a few seconds later, before I could call her. Once the meds were received, everything was fine. I now give myself the meds twice a day. So, I'll follow up as they want, and I will complete the treatment. Then, I need to find a job. Unfortunately, I can't work in this shape. I've only been out of the hospital for 4 days, but home is so much nicer.

Not sure what all the stuff means maybe my old lady will she is a nurse

but what caused it?

It was initially the cellulitis (skin infection of the legs). But, as I became severely dehydrated, the acid/base balance in my body went completely out of whack. The electrolytes also were really off, with low calcium (hypocalcemia), and low magnesium (hypomagnesemia). The elevated blood sugar also became an issue. I'm a diabetic, and things just went to hell.
    I apologize for writing in such a technical manner. I'm a physician assistant, and I speak medicine. Sorry.

No Problem man that is rough Hope ya get to feeling better

The Male Species...

usually waits until the vultures start flying overhead before we head out for medical assistance...been there, done that...

PA? You should have suspected something sooner...oh, wait a minute...one of the male species...OK, I understand!

Glad you're feeling much better...stay healthy!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    From what I know of cellulitis is it's an infection that spreads very quickly. A guy in boot camp had it. It starts at blisters, sometimes. In a day, it was spread up to his thigh. They put a straight antibiotic IV in him several times a day and it took about a week for him to clear up. They said he was real close to losing his leg because of it.

Bad stuff.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    It was initially the cellulitis (skin infection of the legs). But, as I became severely dehydrated, the acid/base balance in my body went completely out of whack. The electrolytes also were really off, with low calcium (hypocalcemia), and low magnesium (hypomagnesemia). The elevated blood sugar also became an issue. I'm a diabetic, and things just went to hell.
    I apologize for writing in such a technical manner. I'm a physician assistant, and I speak medicine. Sorry.
    Not a problem. I think most of us followed most of it.

Myself, I speak jive.

Josh <><

Glad you're home, and away from the Hospital, with all of their infections floating around too!

Good luck with your recovery.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Glad you ok!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    usually waits until the vultures start flying overhead before we head out for medical assistance...been there, done that...

PA? You should have suspected something sooner...oh, wait a minute...one of the male species...OK, I understand!

Glad you're feeling much better...stay healthy!

ret

You're absolutely right. The reason that I didnt get it taken care of sooner was that I didn't notice the redness until the day before I was hospitalized. And I slept probably 23 hours of that day, up only for the bathroom. When I saw the redness, I knew that I had to go in. I just didn't see it earlier, when I was feeling like crap. Well, I can't change the past, I just have to live with the results. I will do everything asked of me. I did come very close to death, certainly the closest I have ever come before, and I don't want to book a return trip. I do have to admit that the reason that I didn't go into the hospital the evening that I saw the redness (and my wife, after I told her about the cellulitis, wanted me to go to the hospital that night) is that I'm male!

Administrator
    Jeese dude, that sounds rough. I'm glad you’re getting back on track now, but you completely ruined the thread I was thinking about starting. I was going to whine about having a cold. I guess a cold aint so bad after all.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Glad that everything finally worked out OK for you. That was a close call. Especially had you remained knocked out on the floor for a longer period of time. That was a pretty critical time.
    Kinda really makes you really appreciate still being here huh?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    SIXTO...really we want to hear everything about your cold...really we do - spare us no details. How many tissues have you used so far? What color is your phlegm?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    SIXTO...really we want to hear everything about your cold...really we do - spare us no details. How many tissues have you used so far? What color is your phlegm?
    LOL! I was being sarcastic ref. the thread, but the cold is real. Its just starting... the mild headache, tired, and dry nasal passages. I'll let you know if there is any phlegm, I dont want to hijack this thread.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Geez, glad you're on the mend. Sounds like a rough trip. Just had a friend who had the same sort of Nantuket Sleighride with his home health care following a hip replacement. Take care of yourself!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    Scary stuff - which is an understatement.

You've been to hell and back it seems but glad you got attention when you did. Now take it easy and get better. Had wondered why we hadn't seen you in a while.

Best regards.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links