Duels?

This is a discussion on Duels? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Interesting info on dueling: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/duel/sfeature/dueling.html...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Duels?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I would have to use a weapon that somehow employs Jack Bauer to jump out of the gun while simultaniously painting my opponent as Nina Meyers.

"If you were to give Jack Bauer two bullets and put him in a room with Stalin, Hitler, and Nina Meyers... He'd shoot Nina. Twice."
    I love that joke.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    "If you were to give Jack Bauer two bullets and put him in a room with Stalin, Hitler, and Nina Meyers... He'd shoot Nina. Twice."
    I love that joke.
    I would too, Stalin and Hitler are already dead.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I saw an interesting show on one of the educational type channels, e.g., history channel, Discovery channel.

It was real interesting. I can't remember it all but 2 interesting points I remember (1) dueling declined/ended around the end of civil war / end of slavery and (2) Abe Lincoln was challenged to a duel and chose broadswords as the weapon. Being large and of long reach, his opponent apparently backed out (assumed it would be a firearm of some sort).

I thought it was interesting and liked the fact that the challenged could choose the weapon.

VIP Member
    I'd choose flintlocks...................and kevlar!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    I might get flamed for admitting this, but we did this with BB guns when I was a kid. Not to settle a dispute or anything, it was just because we were stupid kids.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I might get flamed for admitting this, but we did this with BB guns when I was a kid. Not to settle a dispute or anything, it was just because we were stupid kids.
    True story.... I was 14 perhaps.

Friend: "I wonder if getting hit by a BB hurts that much."
    Miggy: pump, aim, pssssssssfft!
    Friend: OUCH!!!! Why did you do that?
    Miggy: You wanted to know.

You are not alone in the world of youthful stupidity
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    I would chose flint lock pistols at 25 paces. load them with baked clay balls. That should sting good and you get the statisfing puffs of smoke.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Its been done with paintball markers too, just to see. Did the paces type, did a "quick draw type" starting with the marker down at the side.

Also in an organized game on and organized comercially run field once it was decided to do a "Civil War battle", split the groups in half, stand 10 yards apart in lines and open up.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I personally wouldn't want to take part in a duel. but if I had to. my choice of weapon would be a Barrett 50 cal at about a mile. I could take my shot, and regardless of whether or not I hit the target, I could get my fat A@# out of town!

As far as BB guns, well I think a large percentage of guys with BB guns are concerned, most kids have had a similar experience. For me, it was age 12, in the woods in the suburbs of Southwest Atlanta. My friends name was Chris, and I must admit to instigating the battle (ie: I shot first...).

I was raised in the time that school teachers would issue boxing gloves (16oz) to two boys and let them get it out of their systems. Can you imagine that today? It really worked well. Sort of a duel.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

I'm all for it...

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when a man may be forced to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

I once heard a theory that duelling was outlawed because there were too many sissies...oops, I mean "enlightened individuals" who knew that they couldn't hope to win a duel but still wished to run their mouths. Therefore, duelling was banned so that they wouldn't have to answer for their actions and words...sounds plausible to me

As for my prefered weapon, I'm a bit of a romantic. I'd go with either a matched set of flintlocks or bowie knives.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Of course, as a Texan, I'm drawn to this historical reference. It does make a good case for keeping your seconds under control.

James "Jim" Bowie and the Sandbar Fight

Norris Wright, Rapides parish sheriff and local banker, refused to make a loan that Bowie sorely needed. In 1826, Bowie met Wright in Alexandria, where tempers flared and Wright fired point-blank at Bowie; but the bullet was deflected. In 1838, Rezin Bowie claimed that after this encounter, he designed and gave his brother a large butcher-like hunting knife to carry, made by a blacksmith named Jesse Clift in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana.

On September 19, 1827, Jim Bowie had attended a duel, in the capacity of a "second" at the Vidalia sandbar -- a popular duelling spot on the Mississippi some 70 miles north of Alexandria, Louisiana.

A "second" acts to ensure that the rules of the duel are followed, and is expected to intervene with lethal force if they are not. Seconds also may be called upon to duel in the stead of the "principals" under certain circumstances. At the Vidalia sandbar duel, a general melee took place involving the principals, seconds, and a small group of spectators backing either party.

In Bowie's party, the principal was one Samuel Levi Wells III. Supporters included Maj. George McWhorter and Gen. Samuel Cuny. Opposing them was a party led by on Dr. Thomas Hardy Maddox, seconded by one Maj. Norris Wright,Sheriff of Rapides Parish (who had previously shot Bowie on the street in Alexandria a year prior, and there was significant animosity between the two), and backed by Col. Robert Crain, Carey Blanchard, Alfred Blanchard, and several unnamed others. Approximately 16 men were present. Maj. Wright was tardy, and had not yet arrived as the duel between the principals commenced.

When the signal was given, Wells and Maddox fired at each other and missed. They tried a second time, and both missed again. They then shook hands and agreed that "honor had been satisfied", and proposed that both sides drink and be merry. However, as the two groups approached, simmering feuds between individuals began to surface.

Gen. Samuel Cuny, who was an enemy of Col. Robert Crain, called out to him, "This is a good time to settle our difficulty, here and now;" wherupon Crain drew and fired, missing Cuny but striking Bowie in the hip, knocking him to the ground. Cuny and Crain exchanged fire. Cuny was shot in the chest and killed, Crain sustained a flesh wound upon the arm. Bowie, rising to his feet, drew steel and charged at Crain, who struck him so hard with his empty pistol upon the head that it broke. Bowie dropped to his knees, whereupon Dr. Maddox leapt upon him, wrestling him to the ground. Just as Bowie threw Maddox off him, Maj. Wright appeared, drew a pistol, and shot at the fallen Bowie, missing. Bowie drew his own pistol and fired back, striking Wright in the torso, which caused him to exclaim, "The damned rascal has killed me!" Wright then drew his sword cane and stabbed Bowie in the chest, but the thin blade was deflected by his sternum. As he attempted to pull the blade free, Bowie reached up, grabbed his shirt, and pulled him down upon the point of his Bowie knife, inserting it fully and stirring vigorously. Bowie later said, "I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing." His aorta severed, Wright expired quickly. As Bowie stood, pulling the sword cane from his chest, both Blanchard brothers fired at him, and he was struck once in the arm. Bowie spun and cut off part of Alfred's forearm. Carey fired a second shot at Bowie, but missed. As the brothers fled, Carey was shot and wounded by Maj. McWhorter.

The Battle of the Sandbar lasted less than 10 minutes, leaving 2 men dead and another 4 wounded.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

good lord, that bowie was one lucky sum'betch....

Administrator
    Old fashioned wrist rockets might be fun. In fact, my opponent gets a wrist rocket, I get a grenade. That sounds about right.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links