Jim Zumbo on Nuge's TV show

This is a discussion on Jim Zumbo on Nuge's TV show within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Watching Jim Zumbo on Ted Nugent's "Spirit of the Wild" tv show tonight on The Outdoor Channel (not sure if its a repeat or not). ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Zumbo on Nuge's TV show

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar

Watching Jim Zumbo on Ted Nugent's "Spirit of the Wild" tv show tonight on The Outdoor Channel (not sure if its a repeat or not). As usual the Nuge is very eloquent and absolute in his defense of the 2nd amendment. I definitely think Zumbo is going out of his way to make amends but I'm still not sure he is being genuine. I guess only time will tell. As for now he seems to be trying pretty hard.

Funny part of the show was when the Nuge handed Zumbo a customized DPMS semi-auto in black/pink zebra stripes. LOL I guess he didn't want to hand him one of those evil black rifles.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I just picked up an older Ithaca 37 shottie, in honor of Zumbo. Haven't picked my honorable mention for Pelosi. It'll have to be something particularly painful (to her) ... like a Calico M-950 w/ 50rd helical mags.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I think the "Nuge" is trying to educate him to realize there is more than one type of gun owner. Zumbo stuck his foot in it squarely, if he comes out of it with a better apperciation then he can help repair some of the damage he did.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I agree with you Colin. I just don't understand how someone that has been around the shooting sports for their entire life can have such a ill-considered view of the 2nd Amendment.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

My dad brought this up to me today.. he mentioned some guy who spoke out against rifles like mine being used for hunting.. I cut him off, told him who the guy was and what went on.. apparently he forgot me telling him this story. Anyways, my dad says.. you know.. the guy has a valid point about those weapons being used for hunting. Once again i cut my dad off. People are just absolutely clueless about these rifles. My dad was in the Marines, and he's been a gun owner nearly all his life.. apparently I need to do some educating with my dad on issues related to the 2nd amendment and how going after firearms because of their look is absolutely wrong.

I don't understand it either, how people who have been into guns their whole life, can have such a hazy view of issues like this.. they are just clueless.. and we need to educate them.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Zumbo has a pretty good list of credentials. Past guide,past game law enforcement,shooter,hunter,trapper,reloader,etc.,e tc. He has been around guns and the shooting sports,"forever".

In the past he has considered himself an "expert" in all of the above. Lecturing us on how best to do all the above.

I feel that he has been "bought" then he sez to himself,"geez what have I done"? So now he wants to give back the money and be our friend again ??

I caught the last 5 minutes of the interview with "the Nuge". Zumbo was akin to a cat that just ate the canary. He wasnt(to me) repintant,he was saying what someone had told him that he'd better say.

For me....he is a lost cause. He simply needs to keep his mouth shut and fade away. He will NOT be missed by me.

Truly,a crappola end to a great career. -----

ya, some things simply can not be taken back

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods.
    This line really bothered me (well his whole piece did) . The reason most of the public thinks an "assault rifle" (which is incorrect terminology) is so evil is because people like him , the brady bunch , and other "do gooder blissninnies" perpetuate the myths of what they are . This guy will get no reprieve from me . He spoke his mind and now has to pay the price .

Btw , it's funny that the "fish and game" club I belong to has so many hunters and almost every one of them has some form of "assault rifle" and not one of them would consider the use of one for hunting improper . Of course common sense says you would not use a .223 to hunt moose , but not one of these guys would say squat if you showed up with an AR chambered in .308 on a moose hunt .

As a side note , a friend and I would shoot prairie dogs with our .308 s back in the early 90s and I'm sure Zumbo would have had something to say about that .

Senior Moderator
    I use my FAL (with 5 rd mag) deer hunting, I think that Zumbo would have a problem with that.

But would he have the same problem with a new BAR in .308 with a 5 rd mag?

I like the Nuge and wish I had cable to watch his show
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

An intelligent man would realize that an experienced hunter, with a .30 cal or larger rifle, and decent optics is far more "dangerous" than 20 rednekks with AKs. Killing with relative impunity at range, making "concealment out of cover".

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    A guy I was shooting with works in Russia, they use SKS to hunt Grizzlies there, as they don't have access to fancy hunting rifles. Many people use what they have, rather than a "Deadly sniper rifle"

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I just picked up an older Ithaca 37 shottie, in honor of Zumbo. Haven't picked my honorable mention for Pelosi. It'll have to be something particularly painful (to her) ... like a Calico M-950 w/ 50rd helical mags.
    My SLR-15 Operator will be in honor of Zumbo, I may have some of his quotes engraved on the receiver....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    I agree with you Colin. I just don't understand how someone that has been around the shooting sports for their entire life can have such a ill-considered view of the 2nd Amendment.
    It is very simple to understand how ones opinions can cloud better judgement. Allow me to take this slightly off topic, and play Devils advocate for an example.

I am also a bit of a gear head. As beautiful as they are, I see no point in Mclaren F1's or Ferrari Enzo's. They are beautifully engineered vehicles, but have no place in common society. They are not efficient, have way too much power, and just all around have no purpose but to go fast. Why have a car like that if the fastest you can legally drive in most states is 70MPH? In fact, we should limit all cars (excepting police cars) to a max speed of no more than 73MPH.

Now insert your favorite hated gun in th place of the car, and you favorite number in the speed category, and it doesn't take long to see how the argument can be thought out.

All it takes is a little ignorance and more mouth, and statements like this can be inflated and blown out of proportion until the subject matter becomes easilly adapted to fit ones agenda.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Ol' Zumbo may be sorry, but I think he said what he really thought in that blog and now he's saying what he thinks he has to to get back in the game (and good graces of the good guys).

I don't wish him ill, but I don't think it's going to work.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

As beautiful as they are, I see no point in Mclaren F1's or Ferrari Enzo's. They are beautifully engineered vehicles, but have no place in common society

you were just roleplayin, right? tell me you didnt mean it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links