Watch out for Paypal phishing scams!!!! Got one 2day....

This is a discussion on Watch out for Paypal phishing scams!!!! Got one 2day.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This notice is for anyone using Paypal, but it also pertains to any other online accounts you may have that has any of your financial ...

Thread: Watch out for Paypal phishing scams!!!! Got one 2day....

This notice is for anyone using Paypal, but it also pertains to any other online accounts you may have that has any of your financial or other pertinent info online!

I received an e-mail this afternoon on my home account from what appears to be a source from Paypal. The below is a direct copy of the message that was left in my Inbox at home, minus the link that was inside the message for obvious reasons.

We recently have determined that different computers have logged into your
    PayPal account, and multiple password failures were present before the login.
    One of our Customer Service employees has already tryed to telephonically reach you.
    As our employee did not manage to reach you, this email has been sent to your notice.
    Therefore your account has been temporary suspended. We need you to confirm your identity
    in order to regain full privileges of your account.
    If this is not completed by 28 March, 2007, we reserve the right to terminate all
    privileges of your account indefinitly, as it may have been used for fraudulent
    purposes. We thank you for your cooperation in this manner.
    To confirm your identity please follow the link below:
    Thank you for your patience in this matter.
    PayPal - Customer Service
    Please do not reply to this e-mail as this is only a notification. Mail sent
    to this address cannot be answered.

If you read the message closely, you can see the inconsistencies in the language and you can tell that this is in fact NOT sent from Paypal. What tipped me off this afternoon was “temporary suspended”. It should read “temporarily suspended”. This message was written by some hack who set up a website where you would log into and leave YOUR information for them to do with as they pleased. If someone had clicked on the link that was contained in the message, the site would appear to be exactly like Paypal’s site and if you did not know it was a scam then you could have inputted information that would give these people access to your account!

Remember to always be mindful of what you are getting in your e-mail when it comes to your financial sites or any other site where you have inputted any type of personal or financial information. Always double check by physically going to the internet and typing the website of the institution in question. IE, I went out to the internet and physically logged into Paypal at www.paypal.com using my login information and viola! My account was NOT suspended. Only by going to the site and logging in can you ensure that your account has not been compromised! NEVER follow a link in your e-mail asking to verify ANY financial information!

I apologize for spamming everyone’s e-mail accounts today with this information but I felt it was a valid excuse to do so in light of this scam. It’s very easy to fall victim to these but if you are vigilant and always double-check what you are seeing, you have a much better chance of not getting caught up in very time consuming issues trying to regain your finances or your identity!

Be careful out there!

- Prv. Keith Munroe
    - Battalion 4

I sent this out to my department this afternoon while I was at work so that hopefully no one would get caught with their pants down! Figured I'd pass it on to my freinds out here on CC too!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

VIP Member
    I get those quite frequently....I'm starting to get some fraudulent eBay messages claiming that I owe a seller money and to send it immediately or I'll get reported.....yeah, right.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I get those a lot also.

I've found that if you take your mouse and hover over the link that you want to click, (don't click on it) and look at the bottom of your screen it will show you the real address it is trying to take you to.

Not even close to paypal or ebay at all. It's usually in another country.

Lead Moderator
    If I got paid for everyone of those I've gotten I could probably BUY PayPal.

If I wasn't so afraid of the increased spam mail it would bring I'd answer some of the better ones from banks where I've never had an account just for fun. Maybe someday just before I close an account!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

Advice

DELETE any E-mail that you get from PayPal.
    Anything that they send you VIA E-mail you can also view in your messages...once you password log onto your Paypal account.

Do not go to your Paypal account from any link in any "PayPal" E-mail. Do not click on any links contained in any PayPal E-mail.
    Go to Ebay & access your account from there.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

We recently have determined that different computers have logged into your
    PayPal account, and multiple password failures were present before the login.
    One of our Customer Service employees has already tryed to telephonically reach you.
    As our employee did not manage to reach you, this email has been sent to your notice.
    Therefore your account has been temporary suspended. We need you to confirm your identity
    in order to regain full privileges of your account.
    If this is not completed by 28 March, 2007, we reserve the right to terminate all
    privileges of your account indefinitly, as it may have been used for fraudulent
    purposes. We thank you for your cooperation in this manner.
    To confirm your identity please follow the link below:
    Thank you for your patience in this matter.
    PayPal - Customer Service
    Please do not reply to this e-mail as this is only a notification. Mail sent
    to this address cannot be answered.
    Grammatical errors, spelling mistakes and general typos in bold.

Block them, report them and never reply to them. They will hopefully receive some karma.

I have fun with them, called Phishing my e mail server shows all message headers so I know where the message actually came from. So I send one copy with full message headers to spoof@ebay.com and one to abuse@paypal.com. Then I go to the server where the message originated and file a complaint with the webmaster. I actually ended up getting one college student expelled from Texas state U, he was using their system to try and make a little extra cash for school, after I sent the message to the dean of the school he was no longer a student there.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I get these stupid emails all the time. Supposedly from Paypal, eBay, different banks....I just delete them all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

No PayPal Scam...

but some dethroned king in Africa kept writing to me to help him bring $32,000,000 into the country...

Do people really fall for this B.S.?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    "Do people really fall for this B.S.?"

Yes, they do.

The Nigerians actually have a popular hit song in their country about how they take the money from stupid Americans.
    I saw a documentary on it all.

"telephonically"

is this even a word?
    -Biker

Assistant Administrator
    I don't think anyone mentioned it - but if you hover mouse over one of the links provided, you'll usually see in status bar a URL that is NOT genuine.

These scammers keep trying and I guess do suck in some gullible folks.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Okay. Here is what you do for these.

Set up an email account on hotmail, yahoo, etc. Anywhere that you can be anonymous. When you get one of these forward it to your bogus email account, and delete it from your "good" account.

Now go to a public library or some other facility that will let you check your email for free and open the email forwarded to your bogus account. Click on the link and it will take you to a signon screen. The funny thing is that no matter what you type in, you will be "logged" into the site, so just log in using anything but your real information.

They will give you a bogus screen to fill in your personal information. Fill it out with the email and all the personal information that you can find on someone you truly dislike. Shoot if you have an hour to kill, fill out a bunch of them.

If we could get about a thousand people to start doing this, then their datbases would be useless.

Of course once you get to their "fill in the blank" screen, if you know anything about SQL injections or buffer overflows, feel free to experiment. Since most of them are probably put together as cheaply as possible, they may be using some older versions of open source software.

This could be your first shot in the cyberwar that is attacking our country and should be considered to be very patriotic.

Just my humble opinion.

Links