New computer being delivered today!

This is a discussion on New computer being delivered today! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just checked the Fed Ex tracking and my new laptop hit the Nashville hub at 11:39 last night, looks like I'll have it sometime today! ...

Thread: New computer being delivered today!

New computer being delivered today!

Just checked the Fed Ex tracking and my new laptop hit the Nashville hub at 11:39 last night, looks like I'll have it sometime today! Why am I all excited when I know darned well the frustration I'm in for with moving files from the old computer, all the downloads and updates I'll have to do?

I keep picturing Kevin Bacon saying, "Thank you Sir! May I have another?"
    Jack

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Talking Hope everything works out OK for you.

Hey...almost like waiting for a custom holster to arrive.

LOL, so true. Thanks for the application advice too, I'm gonna be busy for the next several days.
    Jack

A new Laptop? WOW! I bet it's a doozie too.

Moving files isn't too bad. Unless you have a Bunch of them.

That's what I like about Flash Drives. Makes it go a lot quicker and they are pretty cheap anymore.

Well, it's a refurb but new to me - yep, it's a hum-dinger!. I've got to transfer files from an old Win '95 system to an XP. The only writable drive on the old system is a floppy and the new system doesn't have a floppy drive, has a CDR-RW and DVD-ROM though. I'll have to transfer old files to a floppy disk (old modem's shot), copy that to my wife's computer, email them to myself, then DL to the new computer. Little things like ... oh, the serial numbers of all my firearms, all my pics and other stuff I've saved over the last 12 years.
    Jack

Still using 95? WOW. And I thought I was behind by using 98. lol.

And 95 doesn't support USB so a Flash drive is out of the question too. Sounds like you will be having fun moving them like that.

Sounds like my computer. Filled. LOL.

Congratulations.

You should find a pretty good support group on this forum if you get any difficulties.

Let me know if you want to move on up to a Gmail (google) email account while you are doing all the changes, assuming you haven't already. It's the best of all the free email accounts IMHO, lots of storage and some good tools. It's invite only but I have about 50 invites.
    Same offer goes for anyone else, just PM me with an email address and I'll send you the invite.

VIP Member
    Get yourself an external enclosure. This baby allows you to connect your old hard drive into your new computer via USB and you can transfer all your files at your leisure. Just disconnect the old hard drive fron the old computer, install it into the enclosure, power up and Voila! you are set. The laptop will detect it as new hardware-external drive just like a memory stick. One thing, before installing into the enclosure, set the old drive as slave. you only have to move a jump-bridge that is clearly visible. When you are done, erase (reformat) the old drive and you not only have all your files into the new computer but have a backup drive in which you can save more stuff and it is portable (IE: back up all your important stuff and leave it in a safe deposit box)

Word of advice: Take like 3 months transfering your old data. I spent 2 weeks and thought I had everything transfered but I was mistaken and missed a couple of important files.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

If the 95 machine has a network card, you can also pickup a crossover cable and network the two machines together to copy all your files over to the new box.

Then...once you are absolutely sure you have EVERYTHING...pull the hard drive and test it's impact absorbing properties by subjecting it to repeated impacts from fast moving lead particles.
    ...it's great stress therapy AND a good way to make sure your data doesn't go walkabout

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
    Still using 95? WOW. And I thought I was behind by using 98. lol.
    Oh it gets better, I'm talking Win '95 first release! I actually learned computers on 3.11 Workgroups and DOS at work. On the up side, that 1.2 Gig HD lasted me 12 years so, even by conservative estimates, the new 80Gig should last me at about 800 years. I may be ready for a new system by then anyway.

Miggy, my man! I didn't know about the external enclosures. I may just do that for the mass migration of files, appreciate that very much.

0.02: Appreciate the offer but I've been on AOL for, well, 12 years now. I wouldn't know what to do without the daily aggrevation that is Steve Case.

dunn: Nowhere even close to a network card on the old system but Miggy's suggestion should solve that issue nicely. I DO like your method of disposal though, if I go that route I'll get plenty O' pics!

Geeze, where's that Fed Ex guy???
    Jack

Senior Moderator
    Can PC's do the thing where you plug in the firewire from one computer to the other and it transfers all of your files automatically? It's been a while since I worked on a PC so I don't know what's available on them anymore.

I did this when I bought my newest Mac and I transfered over 20 Gigs of info (movies, pictures, documents, everything) in less than 9 minutes.. It was FANTASTIC!!

My last three computers have been Macs. I use one at work and here at home.. They sync automatically (the information that I want them to sync that is) so that all the information I want from my work computer is on my home computer before I even leave the office, and likewise from the home computer to work. It makes my life very easy (one email account, one address book, one calendar, one list of notes for work and home, it even syncs my bookmarks on web browsers so that if I find a good link at work and bookmark it I don't have to look for it again when I get home). I don't know if PC's have anything like that.. You should look into it.
    Last edited by limatunes; March 29th, 2007 at 12:04 PM.

Cool a new computer? awsome. I remember waiting for mine. I spent 2,800 on a top of the line laptop from HP fulltricked out about 2 months ago and i had to wait for them to build it, then ship it from china ... LOL i was not a patient person.

Good luck..
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Hey...almost like waiting for a custom holster to arrive.
    Now you can order that custom holster...quicker!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The new computer came about 9:30 this morning (Thursday), I tinkered with the settings until about noon and then gave up until after dinner. Tried rebooting and got the dreaded blue screen.

Call Tech Support and eventually had to strip the partition and reinstall the OS, okay no problem there I can do that. Guess what? The only CDs in the box were Windows XP and Works. For some reason I thought the XP disk was a system disk but NOOOOOO, that would make too much sense! I called TS back after supper and explained everything, no more software, drivers, etc. ... the kid said "Well, you've lost everything in the reinstall." No ****, that's why I called!. He's sending me a recovery disk with all the preloaded software but that won't get here until next week. I told him that should've been included with the computer and got a "well, uhhhh, ummm...."

Crap, guess it'll be next week before I get it online to DL files and shareware. Overall I'm still pretty satisfied with the system, I did get to play with it some before it flaked out. It's pretty solidly built and actually larger than I expected for some reason - which is good.

My wife also brought home a black leather laptop case from work this afternoon embossed with the State Seal. I'd never seen it before but she said it's been sitting in her office for two years now and it was part of her 20 year longevity bonus - cool, I didn't have to spent $50 for a vinyl bag!

Tomorrow's payday so along with my regular errands I'm going to check out those external enclosures, it'd make file migration so much easier if it'd work with that medieval HD.

I'm off to bed, night all.
    Jack

Administrator
    Actually, their Tech Support is pretty good.
    Ditto: that if you bought a refurbished computer from them they should have sent you everything that is supposed to be included with a new one.
    Hey you have a case w/ your State Seal on it? That's Cool!
    You can tell everybody you have Diplomatic Immunity now or something like that.
    You can just walk around with the empty case for a week until your disks arrive from Gateway.

Links