Help from an English Teacher

This is a discussion on Help from an English Teacher within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Slightly off topic, but it relates to my becoming aware of the need for greater protection than that afforded by the Gov't. As a feeling, ...

Thread: Help from an English Teacher

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Slightly off topic, but it relates to my becoming aware of the need for greater protection than that afforded by the Gov't.

As a feeling, an epiphany is a sudden realization or comprehension of the essence or meaning of something.
    Does it matter if you didnít come to this "realization" by your own discovery?

I'm thinking that there is a name for when someone else puts into words, a feeling that you have but can't quite find how to describe it.

In my particular case, the quote in my sig line did just that. I knew what it was, the feeling, but could not wrap words around it so concise and direct to the point until I came across that quote.

So, is there a name for when someone else puts into words, a feeling you have?

I've tried to find it on the web, but no luck, Websterís won't help you reverse look up a definition.

Thanks in advance.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    Here is a couple more related to your sig line

"In truth, a state which deprives its law-abiding citizens of the means to effectively defend themselves is not civilized but barbarous, becoming an accomplice of murderers, rapists and thugs, and revealing its totalitarian nature by its tacit admission that the disorganized, random havoc created by criminals is far less a threat to state power than are men and women who believe themselves free and independent, and who act accordingly." - Jeffrey R. Snyder, The Public Interest, No.113, Fall 1993.

There is no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen. It is monstrous if the state fails to protect its residents against such predators but it does not violate the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, or, we suppose, any other provision of the Constitution. The Constitution is a charter of negative liberties; it tells the state to let the people alone; it does not require the federal government or the state to provide services, even so elementary a service as maintaining law and order.
    Bowers v. DeVito, 686 F.2d 616 (7th Cir. 1982)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

No Need To Thank Me...

Psychic...
    sensitive to nonphysical or supernatural forces and influences : marked by extraordinary or mysterious sensitivity, perception, or understanding...

I've already received it...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You guys always use so many big words? I aren't smarter than a 5th grader! (Love the above posts!).
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Sponsor
    4my son,
    I don't know the word that you are looking for, sorry.
    But in ref to your sig line: Have you read Les Adams "The Second Amendment Primer"?
    I highly recommend it.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Maybe you're thinking of a word like 'articulate' in its transitive verb form, defined as: "To express in coherent verbal form; give words to"? The quote is an articulation of your feelings...

I may be off base, but when someone else says what you have been thinking or feeling, when you have been unable to articulate it, they validate, corrobarate, authenticate, or confirm whatever the feeling is.

IMHO: This is why conservative talk radio is such a phenomenon. All they really do is say what a lot people are already thinking; thereby, giving the person a feeling of validation.

Maybe I'm way off base, becuase I'm not sure I fully understood the question.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=sgtD;336783]I may be off base, but when someone else says what you have been thinking or feeling, when you have been unable to articulate it, they validate, corrobarate, authenticate, or confirm whatever the feeling is.

I think this about says it and he used all those big words

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    How about "synchronicity"?
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post

So, is there a name for when someone else puts into words, a feeling you have?
    I call them friends more often than not.

VIP Member
    Ghost writer

Sponsored Links