Need help, any hunters here?

This is a discussion on Need help, any hunters here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My dogs both rolled in some deer crap this morning, I have washed them but one of them still smells even after four washes with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help, any hunters here?

Need help, any hunters here?

My dogs both rolled in some deer crap this morning, I have washed them but one of them still smells even after four washes with animal shampoo.
    My options as I see it are:
    • Spray her with a whole bottle of Febreeze.
    • Let her stay stinky and tell the guests at tomorrow's party that it is all in their imagination.
    • Put her in the dishwasher.

Seriously, I do not know how to make this dog smell any better, she stinks. She is normally really clean and in fact they both sleep in our bedroom.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

maybe tomato juice bath??

seems to help when dog is sprayed by skunk

I Second The Tomatoe Juice...

it will take out the smell...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

get a new, never been used, clean hose end sprayer ( goes on end of garden hose, dispenses contents of reservoir at usually adjustable ratio to water that is sprayed via venturi nozzle effect) fill with water. ~1 big tablespoon dish detergent, 1 teaspoon of old fashioned Lysol concentrate.

put dog in pen/cage, hose it down with solution, avoid head, hope she's not a water biter. rinse her off, avoid head. dry ears and clean them very good, ear infections are a problem.

rewash with something else to cover lysol smell.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Take her to the local dog grooming business and have them get rid of the smell. I've found that over the counter dog shampoos don't work worth what your dog rolled in.

Or you could try a degreaser like Simple Green, followed by a shampoo to get rid of the degreaser residue. But by the time your done with all that, the dog groomer should have gotten rid of the smell, probably for a nominal amount of money.

toothpaste

Hey thanks for all the suggestions.
    I did what any sensible gun owner would do, I went out to the range and shot a whole lot of lead and just hoped it would all be better when I get home.
    The amazing part is, it is.
    The dog dried while I was out, the smell has gone away. It must have been lingering in the damp fur, or maybe she has licked it all out. Or maybe I just had a whole lot of deer scent up my nose.
    Whatever happened we are back on speaking terms and they can both sleep in the bedroom as normal.

I'll keep the suggestions for next time, we are all city folk, dogs included, and out here in the suburbs are a few hurdles we haven't had to leap before.

Thanks.

Administrator
    "Spray her with a whole bottle of Fe-breeze."

Just FYI that is a known allergen for dogs these days.
    Some dogs show strong allergic reactions to it.

Maybe us Rightguard... Or if a female, Secret

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "Spray her with a whole bottle of Fe-breeze."

Just FYI that is a known allergen for dogs these days.
    Some dogs show strong allergic reactions to it.
    My three options were jokes, but as usual I didn't add any lols or smilies. My fault if you didn't see it was humor, I just never have used lols etc.
    Thanks for the heads up though, I didn't know that dogs are allergic to febreeze.

VIP Member
    The best solution:

1 pint hydrogen peroxide, 2 tsp DAWN dish soap and 1/4 cup baking soda

This works VERY WELL..deer poo ain't tobad compared to some stuff.... I've had to use it on one of my Labs to remove everything from skunk, chicken crap, fox crap to even bear doo. It even removed the skunk odor from me as well (long story, middle of night, cold out...wife wouldn't let me back in the house til de-odorfied)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    [*]Put her in the dishwasher.
    Be careful putting your dog in the dishwasher. Make sure she's not so tall that the thingy that spins around under the top rack hits her head.

Also, make sure you don't wash her with fine crystal. The loose dog hair may cause hazing.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

We have a Bosch dishwasher, we bought it because they specifically guarantee their product even in the event that it was damaged while loaded with stinking, neurotic rescue mutts.

But we shouldn't joke about stuff like this, I forget sometimes that there are people who do crazy stuff like this, remember the woman who microwaved her poodle to dry it? Or was that an urban myth?

The good news is that after several baths each yesterday my dogs have made the mental connection and refuse to even go near the creek where all the deer crap is.

Glad they quit stinkin'!

My wife works for a veterinarian and they a solution like goawayfarm posted.
    The doc's recipe was a quart of peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 teaspoon of dish soap.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Just take em' swimming for an hour or so, let em roll around in the mud then rinse em' down with a garden hose when you get home. Works for just about everything except skunk musk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links