Need advice

Need advice

This is a discussion on Need advice within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am starting to love gun and I am starting to love holster a lot more. So I was thinking what about if I open ...

Thread: Need advice

Need advice

I am starting to love gun and I am starting to love holster a lot more. So I was thinking what about if I open a little gun shop to make a little more money on the side. So the question is: How do I do it? I am and have been a manager for a couple years now and know a little on how to run a small business. Heck I helped open up the one that I am managing now. I would think opeing up a gun shop would be a lot more to it. I live in Ohio and maybe some small gun shop owners can help me out a little. I would like to open up a shop to sell guns, holsters, ccw classes, among other things.

So what do you guys think? Any ideas
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

I had this same idea about 15 years ago when I was getting out of the Navy and trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life.

The short answer is, with insurance, inventory and other expenses, you better have about $300,000 to $500,000 just to get started.

Then there is the hassle of the government red tape and paperwork involved. The surprise inspections and audits.

In the end, it just wasn't worth it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Mike that mush?????????????
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

VIP Member
    I would think becoming a gunsmith would be a good idea and a needed service, check insurance requirements. The LGS stopped gunsmithing because of insurance issues.

The thing I hear from almost EVERY gunshop owner is that after you aquire your shop and get business going - it becomes a job just like everything else! Most gunshop owners I know have lost interest in guns and gear because they have to deal with the idiots that think they know guns, and need educated. And it's like Sig P239 said, you gotta deal with all the government red tape.

I would suggest get your license, tell your friends, get in good cahoots with your local law enforcement (they may be looking for a "make-over" in the weapons department) and just order a few guns and gear for yourself, friends and family, and see how that goes. Sorta "test the waters" before you jump in in with both feet!

I will say this. Being the SureFire lover that I am, I thought I wanted to be a licensed SureFire dealer so I could get my toys cheaper, right? SureFire said I had to buy $5,000 worth of inventory in order to sell their product and get MY toys at a discount!

I don't wanna "burst your bubble"...just something to think about!

Quote Originally Posted by aimhigh View Post
    Mike that mush?????????????

Yep...that much. I was completely flabbergasted.

There was no way I had that kind of money and no way any financial institution was going to front me, a 26 year old guy that kind of money. So that pretty much shut the door to owning my own gun shop in my mind.

I don't know what other peoples experience with this kind of thing is or was, I can only speak to my own experience. It was a real eye opener.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    When you think about the things you have to fund to start a business like that the money adds up in a hurry. You have to have a location. If you rent you will have to pay several months in advance and will be paying rent probably for several more before you actually open. Furnishings: show cases, displays, locking devices, cash register, credit card machine, etc. Then the big investment - inventory: guns, ammo, parts, etc. Don't forget FFL @ $200. Business licenses, tax numbers, etc. Utilities: phone, water, electricity, gas, internet. Insurance. Advertising. After you open you will still have to be able to survive for a year or more without making money. In fact you will probably be paying out more than you take in for the first year or so. Then as you start to take in more than you pay out you still have continuing costs. Taxes, licenses, utilities, insurance, replacement inventory, etc.

Even if you decide to do like I did and just do transfers and order things for people you won't actually make any money for a while. In my small community I will be fortunate to recover my costs over the first three years. After that because the renewal cost on an FFL is fairly low there is a possibility of making a little. I did not go into it for the money, so if I never make any it will be OK, but I would like to at least recoup my costs.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Links