More nannyism in Ohio - Page 2

More nannyism in Ohio

This is a discussion on More nannyism in Ohio within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bottom line is a lot parents are not are not doing their jobs, so the state feels the need to fill that role. The states ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More nannyism in Ohio

Administrator
    Bottom line is a lot parents are not are not doing their jobs, so the state feels the need to fill that role. The states laws are made by elected officials, and we put them in the position to make the rules.

No matter what the topic, if people cannot police themselves, the government will step in to attempt to correct a problem.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    In my line of work(Education), I have lost a few kids to motor vehicle accidents over the years.

We lost a student a couple of months ago. He was speeding and lost control of the vehicle and hit a tree.

Two students (a boyfriend and girlfriend) at a high school in the next county over were killed this school year driving home.

Last year at my school, a student was killed trying to pass another vehicle.

Last year at our county rival high school, a student was killed returning home from a basketball game.

A football teamate of mine was killed two months prior to our graduation driving to school. Two other students that I went to school with were involved in accidents that took the lives of others involved. (One was a young married lady that was seven months pregnant with her first child.)

DO I NEED TO GO ON??? Handing a kid a driver license at 16 and saying here's the keys is not always the most prudent thing to do. I know I was not mature enough for it and I am lucky to be sitting here typing this after all of the stupid things I did and others did as I rode with them as a teenager.

Driver's Ed is a joke and it isn't even offered that much in most high schools anymore. I would recommend that parents of teenagers look into defensive driving courses for their kids. There are some great instructors out there that teach driving skills with a hands on approach. I know that when my son is old enough.....if he wants to drive, he will complete some of these courses before he is handed the keys.

I am ranting a little because I was involved in a wreck that could have been much worse yesterday because the other driver was not paying attention. I posted a thread about it in Bob Ford's place. I just thank God all turned out ok.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; April 3rd, 2007 at 11:54 PM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Administrator
    I dont care what anyone says, 16 is to young. Even if they truly are mature and can handle the car, they lack the experience to be able to get out of situations caused by other drivers.
    Typically I hate any further regulation by the Gub'ment, but the parents are not doing their jobs anymore.
    I lost 4 friends in high school alone. One in each year. Others were killed too, but I didnt know them. My best friend in 6th grade was hit and killed while we were walking home from baseball practice. The driver of that car was 17. We were on the sidewalk.
    I lost another 3 due to motorcycles; all of them were on crotch rockets, under 21 and had no business riding a bike like that. I got lucky and sold mine.

Working as an LEO, every year about this time I get a fatal crash with a young kid. Every year brings at least one. I'm getting tired of it.
    Watching anyone die because there is no cure for a brain turned to mush and sitting on the seat next to them is hard. Telling the 16 year old driver, "sorry, but you just killed your friend hurry up and say good bye" is tough. Then going on the the parents to let them know that their child wont be coming home on time is tougher.

We can reverse the situation too. How about the kid who killed a young mother last year. The kid was just being a ******* kid, crossed the yellow and hit a young mother on her way home from the grocery. Try explaining that one not only to the victims family, but to the offender who has not begun to understand life.

Before you go off spouting about "rights" and the whole nine yards, think it through. First, juveniles have limited rights. Driving on public roads is not a right. I have the privilege to travel public roads without some moron slamming into me.
    Accidents happen, they always have and always will. But, if we can take the most dangerous groups off the road or better train them, whatever it takes, I'm for it.

I'll even go so far to say that driver licenses should be tough to get. At least a lot harder than it is now. Hell, my dog could pass the test as it is now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was not responsible enough at 15-16 to drive. I did alot of stupid things that I would have probally not done at 20. I used to street race alot, in my sophmore year of college I found the race track and have kept my racing urges there ever since. I agree that the bill seems a little "nanny" as you put it. It seems if they wish to honestly stop the amount of road fatalities, there are better ways, but I guess something is better than nothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links