Ever have a really bad day like this?

This is a discussion on Ever have a really bad day like this? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; in SC, even such a simple act as "flipping em off" voids your right to defend yourself, if the situation DOES escalate... i imagine most ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever have a really bad day like this?

in SC, even such a simple act as "flipping em off" voids your right to defend yourself, if the situation DOES escalate... i imagine most lawyers anywhere, in any state, can prove this is taunting.

i like to roll my window down and act like i know the person, smiling and screaming "MARY!! (especially good to call em that if its a guy...) LONG TIME NO SEE!! HOWS THE WIFE AND KIDS!!!"

normally, i get a mixed look of confusion and anger, and they speed off....

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Enigmaone, I am not excusing your actions. Then again, I don't think you are either or you would have embellished your story to make yourself sound more reasonable. I think that under pressure most people will say/do things that we ordinarily would not.(not an excuse, just a fact) While your's was an extreme example, fortunately nobody got hurt, or tossed in jail. The important thing here is that you realize the potential consequences of what you did, and you aren't making any excuses. You got a second chance, make good use of it. Swallow your pride, and learn to control that temper of yours.
    If this is an isolated incident I would consider it a hard lesson in self awareness.

VIP Member
    When you are carrying, you relinquish certain "rights" that other people take for granted. Pride takes a vacation. Any insults addressed to you or any dear family member with you will go unchallenged. Word don't hurt. A lenghty stay in prison with a roommate name Pedro Abdul Lamar wanting to share his Kama Sutra techniques with you hurts.
    Traffic ceases to be important. You need to get someplace in time, leave earlier than usual. If your driving resembles a scene from the Fast & The Furious, you are setting yourself up for big trouble.
    The nights of getting drunk out of your skull are also goners when you carry. No matter how righteous a self defense shooting might appear, if you are legally drunk (or even a bit tipsy) you became a prosecutor's wet dream and he will make you pay for packing a gun while enjoying your favorite ale.
    The days of just going anywhere and entering any place without thinking about it are also gone. There are lots of places you can't go in with your firearm. You must plan ahead and make sure you don't break the law by ignorance and end up spending time with the above-mentioned Pedro Abdul Lamar . You will also have to act in a responsible manner and make sure you leave you weapon securely inside the vehicle. Glove compartment, center console or under the seat are not responsible options. If somebody steals your gun, he may try to use it against you later on or me. I'd be very upset if that happens.

Memorize this and use it whenever you get pulled over by a cop: Hands on the Wheel, Hands on the Wheel, Hands on the Wheel, Hands on the Wheel. Cops don't like lots of movement when approaching your vehicle and love to see the hands nice and empty. While we are at it. you may want to think about carrying your wallet someplace else than your back pocket. Nothing will ruin your day faster than trying to reach for your license and the Officer watching as your hand approaches your holstered weapon. Worse case scenario: you end up in a slab. Best case scenario: Tea Time with Pedro Abdul Lamar at the prison's laundry. And don't get mouthy with the cop either, be polite and obey all comands you are given. If you feel your pride has been hurt, remember you don't have one while carrying. Besides there will be time later to correct any misunderstanding. Some cops are SOB's (present board company excluded ) just like civilians, live with it.

These, and others, are the "taxes" we must pay for our personal protection. Yes, the Second Amendment should not be a privilege but you must realize that you are carrying a tool that cannot be missused. Literally you have the power of life and death and that carries an inmense responsability that cannot be taken for granted.

If you feel you are giving up too much or cannot deal with the responsability, just leave your gun at home. You would not be the first one and will not be the last one. We will love you the same.... in a methaphisical way. No Breakback Pedro Abdul Lamar kind of way.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    The #1 thing that people say when they a) see my targets, b) find out I carry or c) see pictures of me shooting or with guns is "Remind me not to piss you off."

I always get irritated by this. I know it's said in jest, but being angry or upset would NEVER be a reason for me to even think about doing harm to someone, ESPECIALLY with a gun.

My typical response to that is "Go ahead and piss me off all you want, I don't care. It's when you threaten me that you have to worry."

Honestly, had I been that woman and it was my child in the car, and you forced me off the road and started coming toward me I would have felt threatened. I would have tried to drive away, I also would have instantly called 911, then, if I couldn't drive away, I would have kept the dispatcher on the line while I drew my gun and warned you not to come one step further. For all I know you drove me off the road to kidnap my child, or worse.

And had the police arrived on the scene and found a weapon on you (legal or not) first, the media would have a HAY DAY with it and use it to further their push for anti-gun laws and anti-CCW laws, and second, you may have lost your license.

I'm with the others. See someone about your anger and until you do, leave your gun at home.

I think it takes a strong person to share what you shared. It takes an even stronger person to know themselves well enough to make amendments to themselves and their lifestyle to thwart against a weakness. People who have drinking problems usually avoid places that sell alcohol. People with shopping addictions put themselves on budgets and cut up their credit cards. People with anger problems find things that calm them or avoid people or situations that they KNOW can stress them. If aggressive driving can really get to you consider car pooling or taking a back route not regularly traveled. Find something that sooths you such as a favorite song to play on the car stereo or a favorite drink (non-alcoholic, of course). Some people go as far as to pull over and take a walk. A counselor may be able to help you find the right salve for you.

Good luck and stay safe.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    When I was a younger man I too had a bad temper.

Now, along the line of what other here have suggested, I just smile VERRRRY big and wave like whoever is punching the horn, yelling and giving the finger is my best friend in the world, and that I am absolutely thuh-rilled to see them.

Sometimes during particularly long streams of profanity directed toward me, I nod my head emphatically and say "No hablo Ingles".

Since I am whiter than a bleached bedsheet, it gets'em every time. I kid you not.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    When you are carrying, you relinquish certain "rights" that other people take for granted. Pride takes a vacation. If you feel you are giving up too much or cannot deal with the responsability, just leave your gun at home. You would not be the first one and will not be the last one. We will love you the same.... in a methaphisical way.

+1 on this!

Enigmaone, you've gotten some good advice here, and I'll echo it. You don't gain anything by escalating an unpleasant situation into a potentially deadly one.

You're fortunate you weren't arrested and charged with, at the very least, aggressive driving. If the mother who's car you blocked had been armed, you could have lost your life, or ended up taking her life, or her child's, in response. Time to deal with the anger issues.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links