Dropping of Holocaust in classes

This is a discussion on Dropping of Holocaust in classes within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770 Schools are dropping the Holocaust from history lessons to avoid offending Muslim pupils, a Governmentbacked study has revealed. It found some teachers are reluctant ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping of Holocaust in classes

Dropping of Holocaust in classes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770
    Schools are dropping the Holocaust from history lessons to avoid offending Muslim pupils, a Governmentbacked study has revealed.

It found some teachers are reluctant to cover the atrocity for fear of upsetting students whose beliefs include Holocaust denial.

More....

* Teachers fear backlash over crackdown in the classroom

There is also resistance to tackling the 11th century Crusades - where Christians fought Muslim armies for control of Jerusalem - because lessons often contradict what is taught in local mosques.

The findings have prompted claims that some schools are using history 'as a vehicle for promoting political correctness'.

The study, funded by the Department for Education and Skills, looked into 'emotive and controversial' history teaching in primary and secondary schools.

It found some teachers are dropping courses covering the Holocaust at the earliest opportunity over fears Muslim pupils might express anti-Semitic and anti-Israel reactions in class.

The researchers gave the example of a secondary school in an unnamed northern city, which dropped the Holocaust as a subject for GCSE coursework.

The report said teachers feared confronting 'anti-Semitic sentiment and Holocaust denial among some Muslim pupils'.

It added: "In another department, the Holocaust was taught despite anti-Semitic sentiment among some pupils.

"But the same department deliberately avoided teaching the Crusades at Key Stage 3 (11- to 14-year-olds) because their balanced treatment of the topic would have challenged what was taught in some local mosques."

A third school found itself 'strongly challenged by some Christian parents for their treatment of the Arab-Israeli conflict-and the history of the state of Israel that did not accord with the teachings of their denomination'.

The report concluded: "In particular settings, teachers of history are unwilling to challenge highly contentious or charged versions of history in which pupils are steeped at home, in their community or in a place of worship."

But Chris McGovern, history education adviser to the former Tory government, said: "History is not a vehicle for promoting political correctness. Children must have access to knowledge of these controversial subjects, whether palatable or unpalatable."

The researchers also warned that a lack of subject knowledge among teachers - particularly at primary level - was leading to history being taught in a 'shallow way leading to routine and superficial learning'.

Lessons in difficult topics were too often 'bland, simplistic and unproblematic' and bored pupils.
    All I can say is, what the is going on!? Its history! If you can't accept what happened, then don't force others to not learn about it!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I guess they don't want our kids to learn FROM our history much less learning ABOUT it.

VIP Member
    Don't you find it odd that Christians & Jews are the ones that have to give up their right to espouse their beliefs, to accommodate Atheists & Muslims?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Well, assuming that's in the UK (judging from the media source) at least it blows the stupidity away of most of the things they are pushing in some American schools.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Schools are dropping the Holocaust from history lessons to avoid offending Muslim pupils...
    Yeah, to hell with the Jewish pupils

For those of you concerned with the dhimmification of the west, you should add http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.com/ to your daily rotation of blogs.

Senior Moderator
    OH BOY!!!!! Let's not teach anything becuase somebody will always find something offensive.

I am offended by what I just wrote

I just offended myself again
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    OH BOY!!!!! Let's not teach anything becuase somebody will always find something offensive.

I am offended by what I just wrote

I just offended myself again
    Chill out or we'll revoke your rights to teach yourself!!!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

This is so stupid! The are just going any time they get scared they might make someone . All they do is make us go at their stupidity.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Idiocracy...2006 movie rental...Luke Wilson...foretells the future?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Question Soooo.......

Are they going to delete 911 from the history books also in order to not offend them either?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Administrator
    Sheldon J
    Yep, they probably will eventually. I'd be willing to bet on it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    What a crock of s.... Aww, you know!

The other sad thing is that what passes as history in our schools is badly slanted anyhow. I am constantly appalled at what I and my children were taught and what information written at the time says. Maybe since it seems we can't teach history with out changing it we should just stop!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    There is no better way to teach cannon fodder...

Let them learn the history not as it happened, but let them learn whatever makes them feel good.

When the SHTF, those folks will be caught in the middle and without a clue, because they never learned history and they are doomed to repeat it.

It is unfortunate that they are being raised by fools to become fools,where living in ignorance is encouraged and considered normal.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It is unfortunate that they are being raised by fools to become fools,where living in ignorance is encouraged and considered normal.
    Don't think I could have summed it up better. History IS. The facts ARE. no amount of sticking ones collective heads in the sand will change it. There are even young Japanese now who believe that their country was just minding it's own business in WWII when the aggresive USA just attacked them out of the blue and then nuked them. It's not just here.....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

The offense is that such feigned outrage and horror can drive policy and direction. That's offensive.

Truth cannot be an offense, by definition. The mere fact someone gets bent over hearing the truth indicates a problem with the receiver, not with the message itself. History has happened. It's only a matter of how egregious the spin.

This is yet one more example of the how the USA has turned into a whimpering nation of pedantic, P.C. hand puppets. The only questions are: whose hand and how far.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links