"Itís the epitome of a nanny state"

This is a discussion on "Itís the epitome of a nanny state" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK guys (and gals), I know we keep harping on Britain, but this one had me laughing so hard, I had to share. There's more ...

Thread: "Itís the epitome of a nanny state"

VIP Member

OK guys (and gals), I know we keep harping on Britain, but this one had me laughing so hard, I had to share. There's more to the article, but this is the best part. I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry, so I just laughed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

In most offices, when a chair is in the wrong position then immediate action is taken. Somebody moves it.

But not at the Health and Safety Executive.

There, employees have been banned from shifting furniture on the remote chance that they might do themselves a mischief.

They are told to book a porter to complete the task - and allow two days for it to happen.

The new rule could prove particularly problematic for staff planning a last-minute meeting.

If a porter cannot be summoned urgently staff would be left with the awkward choice of disobeying a direct order from the management or asking some of their guests to stand.

To hammer home the point, signs which read: ĎDo not lift tables or chairs without giving 48 hours notice to HSE managementí, have been plastered across the walls in several meeting rooms.

The ruling was discovered by Labour peer Lord Berkeley. He noticed the signs when he attended a meeting at the London headquarters of the HSE, whose responsibilities include workers at nuclear plants, oil rigs and huge factories.

Incensed by what he considered to be "health and safety gone mad", Lord Berkeley raised the matter in the House of Lords, demanding in a parliamentary question to know why the HSE had put up the notices.

"I saw them and thought, 'It just canít be true'," he said.

"Itís ridiculous to mollycoddle people like that. Itís taking health-and-safety precautions to a ridiculous level.

They ought to be concentrating on the important things.

"The HSE is an office like any other Ė so if it is not required in other offices, why there? Itís the epitome of a nanny state."

eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I'm speechless.........
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

There, employees have been banned from shifting furniture on the remote chance that they might do themselves a mischief.
    Gary Larson had a few things to say about such people. So did Scott Adams.

About the only person harmed by a slight rearrangement of furniture might be someone who's blind, in a home that cares for the blind. Otherwise, this seems one more attempt by a petty territorialist to exert control where none need exist. Doing themselves a mischief? Assisted to avoid such things by the nanny state?

Folks burned by their own hands learn to appreciate the risks of fire; that, or they die by fire. Felons stopped by righteous citizens learn to appreciate the risks of felonious behavior; that, or they die by fire. It's simple and fair, and it works very well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This seems to be another case of logical thinking by the British law makers. sounds a bit like the theory behind their gun laws.

I've worked in places where you can't move furniture because it's a union job. If you move it you're interferring with the union worker's livlihood, but I've never seen it with a health twist.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Good job by Lord Berkeley to slap that corporation for stupidity!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I bet right now that someone in Illinois, upon reading that article, is doing research on injuries from office furniture moving.

Links