URGENT!!! If you used Gunbroker.com READ NOW

URGENT!!! If you used Gunbroker.com READ NOW

This is a discussion on URGENT!!! If you used Gunbroker.com READ NOW within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife emailed me regarding a funky charge in the credit card. The name appeared as XIAO CHUM CAI and the charge was for $1. ...

VIP Member

Exclamation URGENT!!! If you used Gunbroker.com READ NOW

My wife emailed me regarding a funky charge in the credit card. The name appeared as XIAO CHUM CAI and the charge was for $1. I did a quick Google and I landed on Gunbroker.com's board where several people are complaining about the charge and cancelling cards left and right. I am going to go with the panic mode and have mine cancelled too just in case.

Here is the link to the thread in GunBroker.com
    Last edited by Miggy; April 5th, 2007 at 11:35 AM.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Good thing i never used my card there

This might be bad for me....
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Why would you use a CC at Gunbroker? You can't make purchases that way, can you? Do you have to use one to list auctions?
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Why would you use a CC at Gunbroker? You can't make purchases that way, can you? Do you have to use one to list auctions?
    Gonzo

Yes, I believe you have to give them a CC# to list items. I have never used a CC on Gun Broker, but i have made a few purchases which required no card.

My advise is to have a credit card that you use specifically for this purpose, be it on Gun Broker or e-bay or whatever. That way if something goes bad you can cancel it and your usage history will show that the card was only used for one certain purpose. That will make it much easier to clear things up if you need to. I have had a couple of minor issues, and the card companies were very helpful with taking care of them due to the fact that my use history and payment history had been consistant for long periods previous to the infraction.

A good payment history can also help you avoid late fees if your payment is delayed or lost in the mail for a week or two. If they see you have been an early payer in the past they will waive the late fee if you call and complain. Once I mailed a payment 10 day before the due date and it was processed late. Similar things have happened a couple of other times, and I have yet to pay a late fee due to good payment history.

I have one card that I use strictly for my ebay account, and another that I use exclusively for internet purchase transactions. I also have one for emergency pruposes and general use like motels etc.

So there's my $.02
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

only paypal & Money orders sometimes Cashers checks.
    do not panic Just go to your Bank & card company let them know what is goining on
    so they can start a tracker on your accounts and put a stop yto anything you have not approved
    with new cards & accounts....stay strong ulgy stuff!!!
    Last edited by CS45-seattle; April 6th, 2007 at 12:43 AM. Reason: abc spelling....

Gunbroker.com would not allow me to bid on an item I wanted until I put a CC on file with them.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

los
    I believe the $1 is a GB monthly member's fee that is automatically deducted from your CC account?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    GB emailed somebody regarding these charges and said that any charge from them to a credit card will appear as GunBroker.com or GBHoldings.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Administrator
    I have a CC # on file w/ GunBroker.
    I'll have to look for a XIAO CHUM CAI on there.

I sure am not going to panic because I'm covered by my major credit card co. and I am not responsible for any unauthorized on-line transactions due to a stolen CC# so why would I get spazzed?

I'll look into it on my charges though.

Good looking out.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    I believe the $1 is a GB monthly member's fee that is automatically deducted from your CC account?
    Thats not how it works.

If you're going to post items for sale there, you have to give them a CC number. If your item sells THEN you have to pay them based on the sale price of your item (its an odd formula, something like 5% on the first $100 and 2.5% after, or something like that ... cost me something like $13 to sell a $700ish rifle there).

When you sign up for an account to sell something they charge the card $1 ONCE (and deduct the $1 from what you owe them if you sell a gun through them).

There are no monthly fees (unless they have some sort of fees for business owners that run their gun shops out of GB).

It costs you absolutely nothing to register, bid and buy guns there (its just like eBay ... in fact I believe GunBroker licensed eBay's software for their site).

So is this XIAO CHUM CAI someone that has hacked GB and taken credit card numbers?

I'll have to keep an eye open for such a charge.

VIP Member
    Uh oh.... Topic was deleted from the GB forum and no explanation is available.... I would hate to think GB is in a CYA/Coverup mode
    Randy Cain.

Links