How rumors get started...

This is a discussion on How rumors get started... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, I'm at Wal-Mart on Tuesday buying ammo for my weekly trip up to the range. I approach the counter and ask for some .380 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How rumors get started...

Senior Moderator

So, I'm at Wal-Mart on Tuesday buying ammo for my weekly trip up to the range.

I approach the counter and ask for some .380 ammo.

There were three elderly gentlemen standing around--one of them was coming back and forth from the counter filling a rack, another was behind the counter and the third was standing there talking.

The third looked at me and said, ".380! Why in the world would you want .380?"

"Well, I've got plenty of .40 and .45. I'm just out of .380."

As he hassled me about my caliber choice the man behind the counter got me a box and started to ring me up but not before he did extensive math on my date of birth to insure that I was, indeed, over twenty-one years of age.

I had also picked up some soap and a get well card for a good friend of mine and I asked him if he could ring those up for me as well.

He said, "Sure!" and started beeping away.

He took a look at the get well card and said, "Ha.. is this for the guy you shot with the .380?"
    The guy who had hassled me about my caliber choice said, "Yeah, no wonder he's not dead. You just shot him with .380."

At this point in time the guy that was stocking the shelf was approaching the counter and entered the conversation at just the WRONG moment.
    "Who shot who with .380?"

The clerk points at me and said, "She did! And she's buying him a get well card."

The poor stock-guys eyes got huge and I was totally taken back!

"Wait! NO! I didn't shoot anyone!" I said, "It's just a card for a sick friend."

I quickly paid and got out of there FAST before the conversation progressed.

That's the last time I buy get well cards and ammo at the same time.

You were in Wal*Mart, that is why you encountered hostility and animosity from the staff.
    Wal*Mart is not fit for spitting on, I buy my ammo at the gun store. It costs a dollar or two more but I like the people getting the money. They treat me well, not like some deranged Rambo because I want 20 boxes of .45 hollowpoints.

Seriously, Wal*Mart sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    That's the last time I buy get well cards and ammo at the same time.

See, now that's funny
    Last edited by aepilotjim; April 5th, 2007 at 06:29 PM.

VIP Member
    When the guy was deriding your ammo choice you should have said because it is still better than a stick or rock at deterring idiots that would try to harm you. Ask him if it is so wimpy would he like to come to the range and let you shoot him with a magazine full? A guy was giving that same BS to my wife and when asked the question he declined and shut up about her choice of caliber.

Sort of funny if not so sad about the card though.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Ask him if it is so wimpy would he like to come to the range and let you shoot him with a magazine full?
    I have a .380 Sig P232, and I have had similar comments at the range. But I must say that offering to shoot someone, even in humor, can be misconstrued and used against you. They can claim you threatened them.
    I prefer to say "Yeah, it's not the best ammo but I wouldn't want to be shot with it."
    They usually nod and agree at that point, and most importantly they can't accuse me of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    You were in Wal*Mart, that is why you encountered hostility and animosity from the staff.
    Wal*Mart is not fit for spitting on, I buy my ammo at the gun store. It costs a dollar or two more but I like the people getting the money. They treat me well, not like some deranged Rambo because I want 20 boxes of .45 hollowpoints.

Seriously, Wal*Mart sucks.
    ++1! We have to support local gun stores or there won't be any. The only stores will be mega-monolithic-soulless-corporations that will inevitably bow to PC pressure and not sell guns or ammo.

I'll gladly pay a few dollars more to support a like minded businessman and experience the countless benefits of developing a relationship with a local dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    He took a look at the get well card and said, "Ha.. is this for the guy you shot with the .380?"
    The guy who had hassled me about my caliber choice said, "Yeah, no wonder he's not dead. You just shot him with .380."

At this point in time the guy that was stocking the shelf was approaching the counter and entered the conversation at just the WRONG moment.
    "Who shot who with .380?"

The clerk points at me and said, "She did! And she's buying him a get well card."

The poor stock-guys eyes got huge and I was totally taken back!

Clerk#1 Clerk#2

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Minus the scared guy, that sounds like a typical night at my house. LOL
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

+++1

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    ++1! We have to support local gun stores or there won't be any. The only stores will be mega-monolithic-soulless-corporations that will inevitably bow to PC pressure and not sell guns or ammo.

I'll gladly pay a few dollars more to support a like minded businessman and experience the countless benefits of developing a relationship with a local dealer.

I would guess they were trying to be funny but what they were was insulting. Support you local gun store or buy off the net. I can find deals that match Wally World or the extra buck isn't going to kill me. It's worth staying out of there.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Funny Story...

I never buy ammo at WW...local gun shops only!

I never buy a get well card for anyone I shoot, either...(joking, of course)...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I buy ammo at the local Walmart. Two people are usually assigned there. If it is the lady at the counter, I will be having a good day. If it is the mentally delayed guy at the counter, I basically have to roll up my sleeve for a DNA sample and plan on an extra ten minutes of his not so subtle questioning.
    tk

Next time just tell them you used the .380 just to maim. It's more fun to watch them dance in pain.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

That was a funny story though

Senior Moderator
    The worse part of the entire event was as I was walking away I heard the guy say, "Did she REALLY shoot someone?"

ARRRGHH

I'd rather face a bad guy with a .44 that never practices than Lima with that .380!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links