It's killing me.

This is a discussion on It's killing me. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Never had a laptop. I have though of getting one but they cost too much and I don't really need one. Would be nice to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's killing me.

Never had a laptop. I have though of getting one but they cost too much and I don't really need one.

Would be nice to have one to be able to log onto the net when I am out and about and have a few minutes to serf or something.

But seems like anytime I have some extra money to spend on something just for fun....it always ends up being a gun or some gun related gear.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    My buddy donated his laptop to my "destruction fund." He flew to Washington with it and a TSA guy broke it after dropped it during an inspection. BTW, TSA refused to replace it citing that "there was no proof it fuctioned before the incident"... cuz you know... everyone lugs around broken laptops.

We borrowed a friends Mossberg. We hit it once from about 6' and it skidded across the dirt quite a few feet. It only last 4 rounds from that gun. I'll still find little bits of it occasionally when I go back up there to shoot.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

This thread could be used as proof that the lot of us aren't just gun-toting rednecks.

Oh, and I picked up a sony vaio from bestbuy for $600 during the insane-people early am after thanksgiving sale, so I wont complain about it. My next laptop will be a mac though, as long as my PC works I use that, laptop is for photography, in which case mac is better.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    This thread could be used as proof that the lot of us aren't just gun-toting rednecks.
    I'm not sure what's worse: gun-toting rednecks or gun-toting computer geeks?

Hmmm...

Got to admit i love macs im still running 2 old g3's one a tower other a laptop

Since the port for ethernet went out on my computer i hooked the wireless up to laptop and found out it only connects at 8mbs

Needless to say i have a new router on the way

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I'm not sure what's worse: gun-toting rednecks or gun-toting computer geeks?

Hmmm...
    Rootin' tootin' gun totin' computer geeks are more fun.........

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I feel for you 0.02. Living without a computer is a pain in the @#$. You should really get a Mac you will never regret it. I have had my 17" powerbook G4 for two years now and haven't had a single glitch. More than I could ever say about any windows based laptop.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Rootin' tootin' gun totin' computer geeks are more fun.........
    What do you call someone who built a tray into a 5.25" drive bay to mount a kydex holster to? Because, you know... I sure didn't do that...

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Sounds like you need a Panasonic Toughbook. You can eat lunch on it and then toss it in the sink and into the freezer.

We use these for our utility crews in the trucks. They can really hammer a laptop.

By the way... add me to the list of armed computer geeks. I wear the badge proudly.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

DC Founder
    As an IT manager I've always been a 100% PC guy. Other than the early days using a Commodore 64, a Sinclair and TRS-80, I've always supported Microsoft; first DOS and later Windows. My idea of "bucking the system" has been to use AMD processors in all the PCs I've built instead of Intel. If someone had asked me who the last person on earth that would have gone to a Mac, I would have bet my life it would have been me. But, with the release of Vista, I'm about to buy a Mac. I'm not quite ready to give up my PC yet, but I'm going to give the Mac an honest shot.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    I like to think I'm a high-tech redneck, but I'm not confident enough in Microsoft to upgrade yet. I think I'll give it a year or so.

Gonna hold what I got for now.

Would you want to attach the drive to another computer, wipe it, put it back in the laptop & then send it in for repair? There're kits available to adapt a laptop HDD to another system either internally or externally.

Orange juice it pretty hard on a keyboard too. And, if you don't wash it off immediately, well... OJ is acidic.

Got into PC's with DOS 5 & have used MS software with AMD's since. Spent 10 years running a computer shop from home- new systems, repairs, upgrades etc. - almost every new system or upgrade was an AMD.

My 350MHz Win98 laptop finally gave up the ghost a little over a month ago. Tried 4 local shops trying to find a laptop without Vista - I really didn't want Vista until at least SP1 - but Vista's the only thing available around here.

I'm starting to wish I'd gone with a Mac.

I started to type out my list of gripes about Vista, but it was getting too long....

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Only because this has turned into a Mac vs. PC thread, I feel I should introduce this classic bit.

The last half drops a few explicitives.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+Kressel&hl=en

It's worth watching. An ex-girlfriend of mine was a photo major and she swore by Macs... She nearly died laughing at the video.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Lead Moderator
    Wow, that's an old video!

As to the shut down....... I never did understand the logic of going to "Start" to turn your computer off! And of course you DON'T have to click start to get it going.

Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    As an IT manager I've always been a 100% PC guy. Other than the early days using a Commodore 64, a Sinclair and TRS-80
    My first computer was a Sinclair Spectrum 48K back in '84. It used cassette tapes to load programs.
    I am so near to going Mac but I am trying to actually decrease my computer hours not increase them, I know if I got a Mac I would just love it so much I would never get any real work done.

Here's how I see it, for $1800 I can get a Mac powerbook.
    Or I can get a $500 HP/Dell/whatever, leaving me plenty of loose change for a Dillon press and sundry reloading supplies.

It's a no-brainer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links