It's killing me.

This is a discussion on It's killing me. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by 0.02 I usually only run a few programs at one time, maybe a few internet browsers and iTunes, nothing more than that. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: It's killing me.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    I usually only run a few programs at one time, maybe a few internet browsers and iTunes, nothing more than that. So I'm assuming that the basic model (512MB/60GB) will suffice, I thought about the $75 upgrade to make it 1GB/60GB but I don't think I need it. It's not like I'll be doing that much on it that needs speed.

My coffee flavor laptop was 1GB/120GB, that was too much computer and I know I don't need that much again.

Any Mac people here want to share what specifications they have?
    Right now I'm running a G4 Powerbook with a 60GB drive and 1GB of memory. You can take this for what it's worth, but the last few times I've bought I've doubled the amount of RAM the basic model ships with, this one came with 512MB. On the other hand I've never come close to maxing out the hard drive (right now about 28GB used)!

As to the extended warrantee, I never have taken it, but it is more tempting on a lap top because if your screen goes for some reason, it cost almost as much as a whole new laptop.

If you work for the federal government or happen to be a teacher Apple has programs that give some pretty nice discounts. I know they are available when you order over the web, I'm not sure about the Apple Stores. When I ordered my Apple G5 desktop through the Fed program I saved a couple of hundred dollars.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    The item at the top of my Christmas list this year is one of their absolutely BREATHTAKING 32" displays... *sigh*... I can dream can't I?
    I've got the 20" on my desktop....... The clarity is just unbelievable! I actually sat there one day and watched a movie (DVD) just because it was SO amazing!
    Rick

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I've got the 20" on my desktop....... The clarity is just unbelievable! I actually sat there one day and watched a movie (DVD) just because it was SO amazing!
    I'm jealous!

The gal who sits next to me at work has one. All I have is a crappy 17" ViewSonic! There's no justice in this world I tell you!

Ok, I bought the MacBook. I'm on it now and it's pretty weird... it's like a variant on every computer I ever had before.

Anyway, that means I'm back so I guess I'm sorry about that.

How do I make the pages fill the screen in Safari, presently they are minimised at full maximisation, if that makes any sense?

Lead Moderator
    How do I make the pages fill the screen in Safari, presently they are minimised at full maximisation, if that makes any sense?
    Make sense? Not sure...... Did you try clicking on the little green button on the top left of the window. Or just drag the little "hatch mark" at the lower right.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Or just drag the little "hatch mark" at the lower right.
    There we go, thanks for that. It all looks so different but I knew it would be there. I tried the green maximise icon, the screen dragger got it though.
    Thanks.

Senior Moderator
    Yes, hitting the green button on the upper left hand of the page does not make it fit the entire screen like the maximize button does on PCs. What it ACTUALLY does is fits the window to the appropriate size of whatever page you are viewing. THEREFORE, if you are viewing a smaller page and hit the green button, it will shrink your window to fit that page. If you then change to a larger page and hit the green button again, the window will resize to fit the larger page. ... It's a good feature in that you can still see your desktop and things like that when working in page sizes that down change a lot (like writing in a document or viewing a movie or photographs), but for web browsing it gets in the way sometimes. That is why most people manually resize their window using the hashmark on the lower right hand side of the window and then browse with a larger window viewer.

I hope that helps.

Yeah, I'm starting to get a grip.

Still haven't found how to cut and paste though, I must be thinking too hard and it's right in front of me somewhere.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, I'm starting to get a grip.

Still haven't found how to cut and paste though, I must be thinking too hard and it's right in front of me somewhere.
    Apple button + X for cut... Apple button + C for Copy... Apple button + V for pasting. Apple button is just right or left of the space bar.

Apple button is just right or left of the space bar
    testing, and it works...

Now I can post links again. Thanks.

Senior Moderator
    testing, and it works...

Now I can post links again. Thanks.
    Any time!! Happy to help!

Senior Moderator
    Oh, and p.s....

If you want to "right click" to get your additional options like you would with a standard two button mouse, but with a track-pad... hold down the control ("ctrl") button (to the right of the "fn" button, to the left of the "alt/option" button) while you "click." You will get all your "right clicking" options such as "cut, copy, paste, back, forward.." and on and on. It will work in any application..

Just another friendly tip!

YES!!!

I knew there was a right click somewhere, thanks.

me
    YUCK mac... Sorry I guess i am to PC on one thing
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member
    Haven't done the coffee in the laptop yet but did do the coffee in the lap (7/11 - full cup, just bought and balanced on the dash while I changed lanes and munched my Danish) at fifty miles an hour on the DC beltway. Had jeans on. There's about a four second delay before lap, etc. figures out something is wrong - real wrong. No one heard me scream but I changed lanes again, real fast, heading for the shoulder. This is during rush hour. Real cool, so to speak.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links