It's killing me.

This is a discussion on It's killing me. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm on here most days, on and off throughout the day. I sit and drink a coffee in the morning and catch up, have a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's killing me.

It's killing me.

I'm on here most days, on and off throughout the day. I sit and drink a coffee in the morning and catch up, have a browse in the evening.
    Well yesterday I was taking a day off work and having a slow start to the day, it was 11.30 am and i still hadn't stopped drinking coffee and browsing, hey I take my Sundays whenever I can get them. even on Thursdays. My wife was on her way out to a meeting and as we were kissing goodbye...

I POURED A WHOLE PINT OF COFFEE INTO MY LAPTOP.

No, I don't know how or why, all I know is I didn't get upset, I looked at it and thought "that'll hurt".

I had a few months left on the warranty but as the whole thing was frozen I couldn't access anything to delete cookies (paypal passwords etc), I can't give it to CompUSA with cookies enabled. So I decided all or nothing and went in.

Not sure if many of you have ever dismantled a laptop... don't. Lots of parts left over when you rebuild them, lots of connectors, lots of screws. I intended to clean the keyboard to see if that would unfreeze things. What I found was a corroded main circuit board, the coffee fried it.

I will be posting pictures of the laptop after I shoot it, probably with a Ruger 10/22, I want to shoot it for a while.

Now I am on my wife's company laptop, no widescreen, keys are all in the wrong place and she has it set up funny. Plus it's noticably slower even though she thinks it's fine.

The bit that's killing me? Not being able to come here whenever I want to. I like it here.

Don't pour pints of coffee onto your computers.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Oh, I think I would mourn if I poured coffee into my laptop! You may want to take out your hard drive before you light it up. Some information may still be retrievable (unless you do backups to an external disk).

Good luck with finding a new computer!

It's all backed up.

I might buy the same one again, what I bought for $1000 two years ago is now $500. But I'm not sure if I want the same one again, I'll have to go test-drive a few.

We have the money, we are in the process of selling our second house and there is a fair bit of equity being freed up. But even so that cup of coffee cost a lot of cash that I could've invested in guns.

I think deep down somewhere in the back of your mind you did it on purpose. You wanted a NEW laptop and had to kill the old one to upgrade.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Senior Moderator
    I think this is my biggest fear with laptops. Spill a cup of coffee in the keyboard of a desktop it costs you, at tops, thirty bucks to replace your keyboard. Spill a cup of coffee in your laptop and you're out $1,000 or in my case $1,800 and you're without a computer for awhile.

This is why, when I can, I convert my laptop into my desktop. I plug in a secondary keyboard, set the computer back a ways, if I'm at work I plug in a secondary monitor to give me three times the "desktop" space and I have myself a desktop with all the mobility of a laptop with a pull of two plugs.

If this computer goes down I'm crying myself to sleep for a very long time..lol.

It's good that you had everything backed up on an external drive.. I want to see the video of you shooting it.

I think if this were to ever go down I would have a funeral!

Well, yeah I'm not down $1800, although I have thought about getting a Mac as the replacement. But it's a lot of money to put into a computer for me, I don't use them for work, just internet and music.

I still have the Nintendo Wii, we can surf on that. Can't say it's the same though.

And I fortunately have my wife's laptop, now if I break this one I am screwed.

OH NO!
    Coffee is bad, chocolate milk is worse. Not only is it a sticky mess, it starts to stink...BAD.... in a day or so. I feel your pain. The only way to make this better is to go out and buy a new laptop soon. Have you been looking at the new crop of laptops and just happened to spill that coffee?
    I think the video/pictures of you shooting up the laptop will be great.
    tk

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Well, yeah I'm not down $1800, although I have thought about getting a Mac as the replacement. But it's a lot of money to put into a computer for me, I don't use them for work, just internet and music.
    I'll probably be getting a new Mac laptop this fall.

The nice thing about the Macs now is you get all the good (my opinion ) Mac stuff, and with the new Intel processors it will run all your old "Windoze" software, so you lose nothing.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post

The nice thing about the Macs now is you get all the good (my opinion ) Mac stuff, and with the new Intel processors it will run all your old "Windoze" software, so you lose nothing.
    Yeah, I started a job almost three years ago that only uses Macs. In fact they have a policy that no PC's can be brought into the building.

I started doing presentations and graphics, making movies, you name it, and, well, it did everything I needed it to. I asked my IT department what kind of anti-Virus software they used and they said, "none."

I was sold right there (I'm told I'm a virus magnet for PCs..lol)

In the course of two years I've gotten "issued" (through work) two new Macs (the old one was PERFECTLY fine, my boss just looked at it one day, said, "That looks a little beat up. Let's get you a new one." And in a week I had a brand new PowerBook G4 on my desk.

So when it came time for me to get a new home computer I got a MacBook Pro. It wouldn't have cost me so much but I added more RAM and a package of software to my order, plus tax.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post

I converted to Apple about a month ago (top to bottom: new wireless network, two new computers, printer, massive LaCie Back Up drives) and have found it fantastic! That is after 25+ years of frustration with the WinTel duopoly as a pretty good PC geek. I run a lot of Windows only software (tax geek stuff), and have found my virtual Windwoes machine is more stable on a Mac than a Win platform.

Conversion was simple. The Apple software is more stable, more intuitive, and comes with very good support. And to top it off, the Mac OS upgrades are $149 (traditionally), so staying current very easy.

I would never go back to a Win only machine.

And to top it off, the laptop survived a glass of red wine onto the keyboard <Panic! Condition Red!>

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    In fact they have a policy that no PC's can be brought into the building.
    Someone high up must have been burned very badly once....

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    I can't provide details, but I can tell you for sure that Pepsi has a similar effect.

I've been lucky. Never have spilled anything on any of my laptops.But , have had a Cpt.Morgans/Mt.Dew experience with my keyboard on my main system . Still using that same keyboard. Key is , once something is spilled on it , DON'T touch any of the keys . i split mine apart , ran it under the faucet , let it all dry out , then put it back together . Has worked flawlessly since. Don't know what I would do if it was one of my laptops . Probably just pull the HD and keep it as a spare 9after pulling all the info off it) .

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    I absolutely love my Mac. I've got a MacBook for college, bought Windows XP for $7 at school and downloaded BootCamp from apple for free. Now I'm running Windows for the engineering stuff at school, and Mac for just about everything else. Just reboot and hold down the option key. Not bad for an additional $7.

I'd highly reccomend them. My family's been using Mac's exclusively since '84 (I mean my entire family, even the ones I barely know by name from the other side of the country). This is the first time that any of us has had to go to them for warranty work. I was a cheap ass and saved $50 to get the white one, and the plastic stained brown where I put my wrists to type. The black ones don't have the problem.

They took care of it for free, and did it in 15 minutes when I told them I needed it for my next class at school. A+ customer service, flexible machine, student/education discount, and a free iPod.

Can't beat it!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Yeah, I started a job almost three years ago that only uses Macs. In fact they have a policy that no PC's can be brought into the building.
    Well, I can say Mac, since 1984!! The first Mac I had was one of the original 128K Macs with the 400K mini drive. The amazing thing is one disk held the OS and either MacWrite or MacPaint AND had storage space for files!!!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links