Looking at joining the Army NG....a question....

This is a discussion on Looking at joining the Army NG....a question.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Greetings all- First off, to the veterans here, thanks much for your service. My dad was a Marine in Vietnam and my little brother is ...

Thread: Looking at joining the Army NG....a question....

Greetings all-

First off, to the veterans here, thanks much for your service. My dad was a Marine in Vietnam and my little brother is a LCpl with the 2nd Radio Btln, USMC, currently in Fallujah. I understand the sacrifices and am forever in your debt.

Now to the question at hand. I've wanted to serve my country for a long time, ever since I was a kid. When I was 17, I joined the DEP with the Marine Corps. Passed the ASVAB w/ flying colors (93 IIRC), passed MEPS without incident, all that good stuff. A few months later, I got ill and dropped some weight. I was diagnosed with Mixed Connective Tissue Disease, a form of rheumatoid arthritis. Sadly I was dropped out of DEP, even though all of the physicians wrote letters indicating I was physically capable of military service (and I am, being in good shape and physically active).

Flash forward to today. I'm 23, still in good health, etc. There is no visible manifestations of symptoms whatsoever. I've always felt disappointed about not serving, and at the suggestion of a family friend I've done ride-alongs with who joined the NG recently at age 47, I'm going to get into contact with a local recruiter. Now, the question part finally. What can I expect?? What mechanisms are there to rectify a med discharge?? Are the recruiting shortages something that can work to my advantage?? I'm reluctant to get my hopes up but this is something I'd really like to do, and this sort of experience is additionally going to be very helpful later when I start applying with LE agencies.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Red face

SGeringer - The recruiting shortage could very well work to your advantage. That coupled with the period of time that has elapsed with no recurring medical condition, I have my doctor right up a short evaluation to that effect and try again....all they can say is "no" ! When I joined the Navy, I had asthma but indicated on the forms that I hadn't had an episode in 5 years (not exactly true).....spent the next 22 years doing a job I loved.

Good luck!

DC Founder
    I also believe the current shortage might work in your favor. But quite frankly, if I really wanted in and it really is not causing you any problems, I might forget to write it down. I wouldn't suggest doing that if it causes you any problems whatsoever or prevents you from doing anything physical. Combat skills training (and tests) are very rigorous activities....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Thanks for the replies so far gentlemen.....it has no effect whatsoever. I've considered that but I want to be candid and upfront when possible but everyone else is saying the same thing lol.

DC Founder
    I agree it is better to be honest about that sort of thing when you can, but the fact of the matter is that they could just summarily deny you entrance based on how it could affect you. 10 to 1 an army guard recruiter will tell you the same thing. Just walk into a recruiting office and ask them straight out. If they say they will not let you in just go to a different one....
    Bumper

RE Codes

I'm fulltime Guard and the key is going to be what your RE code is on your discharge. If it is a 1 or 2 you are pretty much good to go. If it is a 3 you will to get a waiver and with recruiting going the way it is it shouldn't be much of a problem if you haven't had any problems since then. You might have to get a doctor to sign off on you though. If it was a 4 they will probably tell you to have a nice day thank you for trying to serve.
    Good luck and if you do get in I think you will enjoy it, I have for the the last 19 1/2 years. Oh s*%t thats a long time.
    Any ideas what MOS (job) you are planning to try for?
    But no matter what thanks for trying, it is more that alot are willing to do.
    Again good luck and be safe.
    Remember that Bradleys rule.

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyMG
    I'm fulltime Guard and the key is going to be what your RE code is on your discharge. If it is a 1 or 2 you are pretty much good to go. If it is a 3 you will to get a waiver and with recruiting going the way it is it shouldn't be much of a problem if you haven't had any problems since then. You might have to get a doctor to sign off on you though. If it was a 4 they will probably tell you to have a nice day thank you for trying to serve.
    Good luck and if you do get in I think you will enjoy it, I have for the the last 19 1/2 years. Oh s*%t thats a long time.
    Any ideas what MOS (job) you are planning to try for?
    But no matter what thanks for trying, it is more that alot are willing to do.
    Again good luck and be safe.
    Remember that Bradleys rule.
    Thanks for your input and thanks to everyone else. I don't know what my reentry code is....it is likely a 4 or 3 at best sadly which is crap because I'm in great health.

I'd like to pursue a 95B MOS (military police), because whether or not I get into the Guard I'm going to pursue civilian LE.

Thanks again for the kind words and advice folks.

DC Founder
    Good luck to ya, I hope you make it. And keep us informed...
    Bumper

Bravo3
    If you really want in, don't tell. Military service will supply you a lifetime of memories -both good and bad - but above all something you can be proud of. There are so many young guys around these days that wouldn't go regardless of the situation we were in as a country.

Sponsored Links