What my dream taught me...

This is a discussion on What my dream taught me... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My husband's probably going to laugh when he finds out I posted this but, oh well, it's funny. First let me say that I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What my dream taught me...

Senior Moderator

My husband's probably going to laugh when he finds out I posted this but, oh well, it's funny.

First let me say that I have some of the weirdest dreams of any person I've ever met. I enjoy them all, good and bad, because they can entertain, inspire, and even teach at times. Some of my worst nightmares have spawned some of my best writing.

While I've had dreams that I've had to use my gun before it was usually small scale (one or two assailants). Last night, however, I had a dream I was in a major firefight.

I'm in a home and dozens upon dozens of people with rifles are trying to come in through windows, doors, you name it.

There were other people with me, returning fire. I was not alone, but it was a pretty interesting scenario anyway.

Right off the bat I realize I have lost my second magazine. I'm stuck with one magazine of eight rounds with WAY too many people coming at me. So, I fire my gun empty (making sure every round counts), and realize there is absolutely no time to reload. In haste, I grab a box of ammo and start dropping rounds into the chamber as I fire them (don't ask me where that came from, but in my dream it worked rather well) while obsessively searching for my second mag, finding cover and generally trying to stay alive.

Don't ask me how I got out of that situation. My brain didn't tell me.

My husband wakes me up this morning and he says the first thing that came out of my mouth was, "Being in a firefight with low capacity mags, SUCKS!"

I don't remember saying that, but waking has strange effects on the memory I guess.

My husband replied with, "Ummm.. Okay.. Yeah, it does.."

I learned three things from my dream last night.

1. For God's sake don't loose your backup mag (especially before the stuff hits the fan to begin with). And retain your magazines once you're fired them!
    2. If possible, have someone load your magazines for you.
    3. Use the handgun to get to a rifle.

Now, this hasn't made me want to run out and buy a gun with high cap mags, because I really don't think I'm ever going to find myself in a situation where dozens upon dozens of people are surrounding and invading my home with assault rifles. (Or at least I REALLY hope not!)

However, it was an interesting learning experience/dream anyway that will leave me scratching my head for some time.. (I always wonder where my subconscious comes up with this stuff.)

I have the most f'd up dreams..

Here in the south, a true gentleman would reload the ladies backup mag for her. Chivalry ain't dead yet.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by aepilotjim View Post
    Here in the south, a true gentleman would reload the ladies backup mag for her. Chivalry ain't dead yet.
    There's a gentleman right there.
    LOL

Administrator
    At least your gun worked. I had like dreams but only my gun wouldnt work, or the bullets just bounced off. They went away after a while, but they come back after a close call or incident.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator

Talking

Hummmm...That sounds like a Zombie "theme dream."

Too many Zombies - too little ammo.
    and they keep on coming.....ahhhhhhh!!!!....one of them bit my arm!...now...OMG!...I'm one of them!

"Some of my worst nightmares have spawned some of my best writing."

In my case ~
    Some of my worst writing has spawned some of my best nightmares.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    At least your gun worked. I had like dreams but only my gun wouldnt work, or the bullets just bounced off. They went away after a while, but they come back after a close call or incident.
    Thank goodness I never had one of those.. Only another one of sniping BGs in their whitey-tighties and shooting a bad guy about ten times before he finally dropped, but every dream I've ever had about weapons, my bullets and guns have always worked.

This dream is about your actual life. You must be dealing with a lot of different stressors at the same time (every BG represents a stressor), and are probably feeling a bit overwhelmed? You have some feelings of inadequacy or feeling not well enough prepared to deal with everything(lost mag)? You feel like your just treading water?

That your making every shot count indicates what you know you need to do: deal with things one at a time, and take them out of the picture. But your also afraid that things won't stop coming and adding up. That you'll run out of ammo and me overrun. At least the other friendly shooters in your dream indicate that you don't feel completely alone in your trials.

Think about the similarities between your dream and you real life. If I'm right, that'll be $85 for your dream therapy session. If I'm wrong, that'll be $85 for your therapy session, and I'll need to see you back next week of course, for another $85.

I think I can speak for most here: were here for you.

Lloyd
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    "Being in a firefight with low capacity mags, SUCKS!"
    <whispers>...Use the Bushy M4 next time...... </whispers>

"I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Geez, you have much more interesting dreams than I do. My wildest dream was of a golf ball tree in my backyard that kids kept stealing the golf balls off of.
    tk

I keep having this dream where I'm standing on the top of this aztec pyramid in this toga outfit and at the bottom of the pyramid are thousands of women throwing pickles at me....

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aepilotjim View Post
    I keep having this dream where I'm standing on the top of this aztec pyramid in this toga outfit and at the bottom of the pyramid are thousands of women throwing pickles at me....

Wasn't that from "Real Genius"?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Team American View Post
    <whispers>...Use the Bushy M4 next time...... </whispers>

My husband said something similar to the effect of, "Okay, and WHY didn't you just shoot the bad guys and pick up one of their rifles and WHY didn't you have a rifle for that kind of situation to begin with?"

I replied with, "Sorry, my subconscious didn't give me a choice of weapons."

At least my subconscious stuck me with my Kimber, the weapon I most love, trust, and am comfortable with.

LB, that is an interesting diagnosis to be sure! There MAY be some validity to some of it. Either way, it was a good dream in that we were kicking butt!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tk4878 View Post
    Geez, you have much more interesting dreams than I do. My wildest dream was of a golf ball tree in my backyard that kids kept stealing the golf balls off of.
    tk
    I think my most bizarre dream was a bad guy coming after me and all that I had was a .22 and I shot him until the gun was empty and he still kept coming and attacked me. Somehow I managed to get a hold of a knife and slit his throat FINALLY killing him.

When my husband got to me (in my dream). I was covered in blood and pretty shook up and he asked me if I was okay.

My reply was, "This gun sucks!"

What may be even more bizarre was when I told my husband about the dream he said, "That's my girl!"

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

LB, that is an interesting diagnosis to be sure! There MAY be some validity to some of it. Either way, it was a good dream in that we were kicking butt!
    OK, confession time. I was actually projecting my own experience. One of the guys at work is almost done with his Masters degree in psychology. So one day, I come in and casually mention that I had a wack dream about freddy kreuger trying to kill me and everyone around me. I think it's just a wierd dream and he proceeds with all this psycho babble. It took me a while to admit the parallels, but a number of dreams later, I'm pretty much a believer.

He says that the brain doesn't waste energy, and if your dreaming, it's subconciously working out real life problems. Knowing what m dreams mean may not always be helpful, but it's often fun to "diagnose" peoples dreams at parties. Sometimes I get people started telling dreams, then a little later, when they've forgotten and had a few drinks, I start telling them about their lives and they think I'm psychic. Good fun.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    LOL! Are you related to my wife? Of course her wild dreams are never that interesting, and usually sound like the plot of a soap opera with the occasional man eating luminescent yellow tentacled easter bunny with self esteem issues thrown in.

In my case though I have had a couple of nightmares about having to use my weapon and discovering a problem. In one I kept squeezing the trigger, but it wouldn't go off. Just before I jerked awake I noticed a bit of pocket fluff between the hammer and the round. I sat up, grabbed my weapon off the night stand and sure enough there was a big ol lump of lint under the hammer.
    The other one had me trying to draw my weapon and it was stuck in the holster. Well it had been a while since I had cleaned it, (stainless, and I got lazy) so it had been in the holster for a few weeks. Sure enough the holster would come with it when I tried to draw it.
    Both dreams prove to me that the human brain does indeed work overtime. I hadn't had so much as a passing thought about either potential problem in waking hours, but on some level I guess I noticed them. I usually don't put much stock in dreams. In fact I rarely remember my dreams at all. Those two however made me change my habits with respect to carrying, and I am glad they did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links