More British insanity

This is a discussion on More British insanity within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6536947.stm Knife crime laws 'will not work' Paul Erhahon was stabbed to death on Friday New laws to tackle gun and knife crime will not ...

Thread: More British insanity

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

More British insanity

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6536947.stm

Knife crime laws 'will not work'

Paul Erhahon was stabbed to death on Friday
    New laws to tackle gun and knife crime will not work, a senior police representative has said.
    Alan Gordon, vice-chairman of the Police Federation, spoke after the fatal stabbing of 14-year-old Paul Erhahon on Friday.

Mr Gordon said some people had a "scant regard" for human life which would not be combated by legislation.

The Violent Crime Reduction Act introduced a range of new offences relating to gun and knife crime.

Mr Gordon said he thought the intention to try to control violent crime was good but added that he was cynical as to whether legislation was the right answer.

'Tightrope'

"People that seem to have such a scant regard for human life, I don't think are going to be dissuaded in their actions by new legislation," he said.

"It is a very difficult tightrope for the home secretary to walk - as to whether he should introduce new legislation to try and show toughness.

"But actually, how effective it is going to be is debatable."

The scene of the latest stabbing incident in London

Mr Gordon was speaking in response to the death of Paul Erhahon who collapsed yards from his home in Leytonstone, north-east London, after being attacked by a gang.

A 15-year-old he was with, whose name has not been released, also suffered stab wounds and is in a critical condition in hospital.

A 13-year-old boy and a 19-year-old man were arrested in the early hours of Saturday and remain in police custody.

'Random searches'

The latest attack follows the killing of five other male teenagers in London in the past two months.

Young people have been overlooked and there have been escalations in the community which no-one has really looked into

Raymond Stevenson
    Urban Concepts

Gang culture fears on estate

It sparked claims that gun and knife crime in the UK were out of control in some areas of the country.

Norman Brennan, of the Victims of Crime Trust, said: "The government must ensure that border controls are tightened up to stop the guns coming in, and we need to do targeted and random stop and search of those who carry guns and knives on the streets of Britain unopposed.

"You can make sentences for those that carry guns as high as you want but many young teenagers have no fear of life and live or die by the gun, so however high the sentence it will not deter them.

"The only way is to effectively disrupt them from carrying them by having many more armed response units and the stop-and-search must be done en masse and supported by all communities - who surely are sick and tired of living in fear of gun and knife attacks."

LONDON'S TEENAGE VICTIMS

James Andre Smartt-Ford, 16, shot in Streatham, 3 February
    Michael Dosunmu, 15, shot in Peckham, 6 February
    Billy Cox, 15, shot in Clapham, 14 February
    Kodjo Yenga, 16, stabbed in Hammersmith, 14 March
    Adam Regis, 15, stabbed in Plaistow, 17 March

Questions over teen violence

Raymond Stevenson, of Urban Concepts, an anti gun and knife crime campaign group based in London, said: "We have taken our eye off the ball over the last ten years.

"Young people have been overlooked and there have been escalations in the community which no-one has really looked into - the closing down of youth facilities, the lack of investment in our young people, specially in the urban communities and black communities.

"And it was always going to reach this point. And I think it's going to get worse."

The Violent Crime Reduction Act came into force on Friday, after being rushed forward by the government in response to the spate of gun and knife deaths.

The new laws make it an offence to get someone else to carry or hide guns and knives.

Those found guilty of using children to hide firearms face a sentence of up to 10 years and those using minors to mind knives will face up to four years in prison.

People using other adults will face a maximum jail sentence of five years.

The range of offences for which an offender can be given a mandatory minimum five-year sentence was also extended beyond simple possession of a banned firearm.

The maximum sentence for carrying an offensive weapon was raised from two to four years' imprisonment last year.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Paul Erhahon was stabbed to death on Friday
    New laws to tackle gun and knife crime will not work, a senior police representative has said.
    Well, I think that about sums it up right there.

"People that seem to have such a scant regard for human life, I don't think are going to be dissuaded in their actions by new legislation," he said.
    That also is a good point, This guy is not making many freinds over there I imagine.

"It is a very difficult tightrope for the home secretary to walk - as to whether he should introduce new legislation to try and show toughness.

"But actually, how effective it is going to be is debatable."
    I feel this guys career is toast. But I sure wouldn't mind him coming over here.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    Mr Gordon appears to have some sense. Maybe someone will listen. We can hope.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

CCW is a very effective response - too bad the British are so stupid!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Death penalty works too, they should go back to hanging criminals at the tower of London.

Assistant Administrator
    Plenty of very valid comment made ... and for sure ..

Mr Gordon said some people had a "scant regard" for human life which would not be combated by legislation
    When will all the crazy law makers get that message and realize more and more laws do NOT make for magic solutions.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post

When will all the crazy law makers get that message and realize more and more laws do NOT make for magic solutions.

in about 20 years, when they realize they are living in a totalitarian/fascist police state, a la 1984/equilibrium/v for vendetta.

Speaking of which, yes jahwarrior, V for Vendetta seems like a plausible scenario with the track that the UK is taking

I'm a UK Citizen through my parents, they continually ask if I will ever consider living in the UK, my answer is always "What the hell for?"...

Stuff like this only solidifies why I would not live there.

Stupid People Over There?

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    CCW is a very effective response - too bad the British are so stupid!
    Look around the U.S., many stupid people here too! Hundreds of gun laws...criminals barely punished...have we learned nothing from Britian, Canada, and Australia?

Stay armed...vote early and often...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links