Tax Filing Question

This is a discussion on Tax Filing Question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know we have a couple accountants here, so I thought I'd ask this question to get pointed in the right direction before I start ...

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Tax Filing Question

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array SammyIamToday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,087

    Tax Filing Question

    I know we have a couple accountants here, so I thought I'd ask this question to get pointed in the right direction before I start reading tax codes (that's scary!).

    I've heard/read that if you gross less than 400 dollars from a place of income that you don't have to file it. Is there any truth to that statement? In my case, I worked at a construction job for like 2 days of 2006 and then started the job I have now at the University. Do, I need to file those 2 days? I basically don't want to go across town and pick up the W-2 if I don't have to.

    Any clues or links would be great.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member
    Array nn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    7,120
    Better call the IRS help number, you do not have much time left.

  4. #3
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,640

    If You Make ANY Money...

    The IRS would require knowledge of ANY employment...of course, they might not always get that knowledge from the wage earner, but will probably get in from the employer...your figures better line up the IRS figures...go figure?

    Do you have to report it? I believe you do...

    OMO

    ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  5. #4
    Moderator
    Array Rock and Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado at 11,650'
    Posts
    12,377
    All income from any source is taxable unless otherwise specifically excluded. It is taxable.

    If you were an employee the employer is required by law to provide you with a W-2. Have you changed your address since you worked for them?

    It is, however, common in the construction industry to be considered a sub-contractor (rightfully or wrongly - I don't want to address that "can o' worms"). If you had taxes (federal, state, or SS) withheld you were an employee and they are required to provide you a W-2. If you got the gross pay without withholding, then they considered you a subcontractor, and you report the income on a Form 1040 Schedule C.

    Legal disclaimer: Blah blah blah, etc.

    Have fun

    Added: Do not call the IRS - A waste of time. Try their website - pretty good, but I'm not shy........

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array SammyIamToday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    All income from any source is taxable unless otherwise specifically excluded. It is taxable.

    If you were an employee the employer is required by law to provide you with a W-2. Have you changed your address since you worked for them?

    It is, however, common in the construction industry to be considered a sub-contractor (rightfully or wrongly - I don't want to address that "can o' worms"). If you had taxes (federal, state, or SS) withheld you were an employee and they are required to provide you a W-2. If you got the gross pay without withholding, then they considered you a subcontractor, and you report the income on a Form 1040 Schedule C.

    Legal disclaimer: Blah blah blah, etc.

    Have fun

    Added: Do not call the IRS - A waste of time. Try their website - pretty good, but I'm not shy........
    Yeah, I changed addresses and they sent the W2 to a place I used to live. It's across town and I don't want to go pick it up if I didn't have to. It seems that I do though, so I guess I'd better get that done. :(
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,116
    Taxes...? What are taxes?

    Have I missed something these many years? Hmmm...better call the IRS and see if I owe anything for these last 20 years or so.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array SammyIamToday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    Taxes...? What are taxes?

    Have I missed something these many years? Hmmm...better call the IRS and see if I owe anything for these last 20 years or so.
    Hah, I'd be in the same boat if you didn't go to jail longer for tax fraud/evasion than murder.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

  9. #8
    Moderator
    Array Rock and Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado at 11,650'
    Posts
    12,377
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Yeah, I changed addresses and they sent the W2 to a place I used to live. It's across town and I don't want to go pick it up if I didn't have to. It seems that I do though, so I guess I'd better get that done. :(
    I would, just to keep the return "clean". It'll get "bounced" if you don't

  10. #9
    Member Array pistola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Opossum Hollow
    Posts
    487

    Question Honey,you know anybody with a black Crown Vic?

    You can do as you like and listen to whom you please.Who you gonna call when the black sedan pulls in your drive?....

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Question about filing stainless steel on a gun...
    By Gideon in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 30th, 2010, 09:06 AM
  2. Florida In Person CWP electronic filing.
    By Miggy in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: September 10th, 2009, 11:07 PM
  3. Filing an Amici Curiae Brief Supporting Heller
    By GHFLRLTD in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 23rd, 2007, 04:14 PM
  4. Filing an appeal in OC SoCal?
    By Huzar in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2007, 11:46 PM
  5. Besides filing a lawsuit...
    By paramedic70002 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 29th, 2006, 04:52 PM