Tax Filing Question

This is a discussion on Tax Filing Question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know we have a couple accountants here, so I thought I'd ask this question to get pointed in the right direction before I start ...

Thread: Tax Filing Question

Tax Filing Question

I know we have a couple accountants here, so I thought I'd ask this question to get pointed in the right direction before I start reading tax codes (that's scary!).

I've heard/read that if you gross less than 400 dollars from a place of income that you don't have to file it. Is there any truth to that statement? In my case, I worked at a construction job for like 2 days of 2006 and then started the job I have now at the University. Do, I need to file those 2 days? I basically don't want to go across town and pick up the W-2 if I don't have to.

Any clues or links would be great.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Better call the IRS help number, you do not have much time left.

If You Make ANY Money...

The IRS would require knowledge of ANY employment...of course, they might not always get that knowledge from the wage earner, but will probably get in from the employer...your figures better line up the IRS figures...go figure?

Do you have to report it? I believe you do...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

All income from any source is taxable unless otherwise specifically excluded. It is taxable.

If you were an employee the employer is required by law to provide you with a W-2. Have you changed your address since you worked for them?

It is, however, common in the construction industry to be considered a sub-contractor (rightfully or wrongly - I don't want to address that "can o' worms"). If you had taxes (federal, state, or SS) withheld you were an employee and they are required to provide you a W-2. If you got the gross pay without withholding, then they considered you a subcontractor, and you report the income on a Form 1040 Schedule C.

Legal disclaimer: Blah blah blah, etc.

Have fun

Added: Do not call the IRS - A waste of time. Try their website - pretty good, but I'm not shy........

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    All income from any source is taxable unless otherwise specifically excluded. It is taxable.

If you were an employee the employer is required by law to provide you with a W-2. Have you changed your address since you worked for them?

It is, however, common in the construction industry to be considered a sub-contractor (rightfully or wrongly - I don't want to address that "can o' worms"). If you had taxes (federal, state, or SS) withheld you were an employee and they are required to provide you a W-2. If you got the gross pay without withholding, then they considered you a subcontractor, and you report the income on a Form 1040 Schedule C.

Legal disclaimer: Blah blah blah, etc.

Have fun

Added: Do not call the IRS - A waste of time. Try their website - pretty good, but I'm not shy........
    Yeah, I changed addresses and they sent the W2 to a place I used to live. It's across town and I don't want to go pick it up if I didn't have to. It seems that I do though, so I guess I'd better get that done. :(
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Taxes...? What are taxes?

Have I missed something these many years? Hmmm...better call the IRS and see if I owe anything for these last 20 years or so.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    Taxes...? What are taxes?

Have I missed something these many years? Hmmm...better call the IRS and see if I owe anything for these last 20 years or so.
    Hah, I'd be in the same boat if you didn't go to jail longer for tax fraud/evasion than murder.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Yeah, I changed addresses and they sent the W2 to a place I used to live. It's across town and I don't want to go pick it up if I didn't have to. It seems that I do though, so I guess I'd better get that done. :(
    I would, just to keep the return "clean". It'll get "bounced" if you don't

Question Honey,you know anybody with a black Crown Vic?

You can do as you like and listen to whom you please.Who you gonna call when the black sedan pulls in your drive?....

Links