I need some suggestions (No JD allowed!! I'm serious! Be good, stay out!)

This is a discussion on I need some suggestions (No JD allowed!! I'm serious! Be good, stay out!) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm going to get a confused phone call in about five minutes.. My husband and I are approaching our anniversary (for those of you who ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I need some suggestions (No JD allowed!! I'm serious! Be good, stay out!)

Senior Moderator

Exclamation I need some suggestions (No JD allowed!! I'm serious! Be good, stay out!)

I'm going to get a confused phone call in about five minutes..

My husband and I are approaching our anniversary (for those of you who haven't put it together yet, my husband is member jdlv4_0 on this site).

I'll happily admit that no matter how much I love guns and how fun I can have with and around them when it comes to romantic times and ideals I am ALL woman. All my ideas for creating the best anniversary come with flowers and cards and all things cute and decorated in hearts, but my husband just DOES NOT find a bouquet of flowers and a sappy card as romantic as I do. His mental process goes something like, "Awww, that's sweet.. Where's the good stuff?"

Do any kind of search online and you are bombarded with golf gear, sports paraphernalia and clothes. So I'm forced to go to the people who like what he likes, the only problem being the fact it's hard to do without him knowing. Oh well, he'll stay out if I tell him to! I have unwavering faith in his self-control.

So, I'm here to ask....

What do you get for a former Marine, 1911-loving, non-sports fan, picky, has-everything, aspiring gunsmith, concealed carrying, sometimes childishly-playful, manly man on a less than $100.00 budget?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Since he has aquired a WWII 1911 why not a WWII reproduction holster for it. It could even be a USMC holster. You could even go for the whole belt and mag pouch.

There is a company that lists in Shotgun News who sales this stuff. I don't have a SGN at work.

Congrats on your anniversary
    Last edited by pgrass101; April 12th, 2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Does he reload? If so, you might want to think about one of these. I just got one and it sure beats crawling around trying to find your empties if you reload. Throw in an inexpensive tripod from Wally World and your under your budget with enough to spare for some other trinket.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Moderator
    Our "official" gifts for one another this year is the concealed weapons course this fall (it cost us a little more than usual so we decided to "gift" one another with that) however, I'm going to let our anniversary pass without getting him anything cool and well.. cool.

He doesn't reload... yet. He would like to but we're waiting to get all the stuff until we get in a place we can fit it all. I'm not opposed to getting him some reloading stuff however to start working toward our eventual reloading goal.
    Last edited by limatunes; April 12th, 2007 at 02:52 PM.

VIP Member
    New custom leather gear? Though you'd better have ordered by his LAST birthday if you expect to have it in-hand by this one... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ill suggest a nice set of grips for his 1911 . Think some of the nicer scrimshaw or lazer cut fine woods depending on his preferances .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Ammo and a big Kiss?, is this one of those Trick Questons?.....
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by enigmaone View Post
    Ammo and a big Kiss?, is this one of those Trick Questons?.....
    I got him ammo for Christmas. And his birthday. And just because. I feel I've overdone the ammo thing

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I got him ammo for Christmas. And his birthday. And just because. I feel I've overdone the ammo thing
    You can never overdo the ammo thing.

It would be like giving somebody too many gas-station gift cards - no matter how much they already have, it will get used up.

Assistant Administrator
    Some good suggestions already - but am wondering if Jon (John?) has a decent flashlight already? I expect he has but it's a handy thing to have at least one of.

Would an extra mag' or two be useful?

All I can say is too - he is one lucky dude but he does not need anyone here to tell him that
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Redneck, I think, got it right. Here's my suggestions:

Colt 1911 Government or Commander:
    http://www.grips4guns.com/pistol/colt/item_1201029.html

Grips4Guns has a pretty good variety to choose from.

Maybe look for some kind of custom grips from his favorite sports team?? I've seen it done!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member
    CUSTOM LEATHER
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    SixBravo, those are NICE grips! Thanks for the link.

He has a couple good flashlights. One of them he donated to operation "Keep my wife safe" (i.e. he gave it to me ).

There have been some great suggestions. I knew it would be a good idea to come here no matter how much it would torture John.

I just got an email from the him saying, "I see a bunch of replies and I want to look sooooo bad. But I'll be good, I promise."

Distinguished Member
    My wife got me HBO's "Brother's In Arms" DVD series. God bless her!!

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    One idea is a good set of multipliers, theres a ton to choose from, My personal favorite after trying several is the Leatherman Wave the blades, the most used item, are on the outside, you don't have to open it up to cut a string or some tape on a box, and they have liner locks so they won't close up on you.

Just an idea.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links