M.R.E.'s

M.R.E.'s

This is a discussion on M.R.E.'s within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I picked up about 10 cases of M.R.E.'s during hurricane Ivan and Charlie in 04. Does anyone know how long they are good for. They ...

Thread: M.R.E.'s

M.R.E.'s

I picked up about 10 cases of M.R.E.'s during hurricane Ivan and Charlie in 04. Does anyone know how long they are good for. They are tan and have the water activeted heaters. Current issue I think. Any info would be helpfull.

Administrator
    Well, we dont know how old they were when you got them, but they are good for a long time.
    You should have a label on them with a lot number and the name of the maker. You can call them up with the lot number and they should be able to tell you how long you got to eat 'em. I do know they last a long time though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think best quality is 5 years, properly stored with 10 years at the outside, of course they don't lose nutrients they just may not taste all that great the older they get.

I rotate them every 5 years, buying fresh and date stamping the boxes, I use up the older ones, during hunting/camping/hiking.

There should be a circular in the case, with details on proper storage and best life expectancy.

Contacting the company is your best bet.

M.R.E.'s

Are complete meals? How/where would you buy such an item in bulk?
    Presently, we buy separate products in bulk cases and rotate the food...fruits, veggies, noodles, rice, stews, a variety of soups, granola bars, etc...
    We keep several months supply ahead!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Here is a link where you can determine when your MRE was packaged. That site has a lot of other useful information on MREs.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    If you keep them in controlled storage they're good for quite a while.

This website lists the expected shelf life at given tempratures:

http://www.mreinfo.com/mre-longevity.html

but I've eaten military MREs that were over 10 years old and just fine.

What I'd do, and what the military does, is after the expected life has expired open case per lot number and from that case open one MRE and check it out every year, look at it, smell it taste it, etc. If any go bad open all cases from that lot and throw out that meal.

This will extend your MREs shelf life considerably.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Administrator

Thumbs up Also See This Older CombatCarry Thread

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I wondered what that red indicator on the box ment! Thanks for all your help. My cases have at least 5 years left in them. I will have to start rotating them (must plan more camping trips).

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    After Ivan and Dennis,I got "stuck" with a few cases of these.

The cases that I have are labled:
    The Wornick Company
    Mc Allen Tex.
    8970-00-149-1094
    Date PKD/Lot 4056/008
    Insp/test 02-07
    They have a red sticker w/circle that sez---Fresh Check Indicator TT110

As for what the red sticker means,I don't know. But I would advise that as long as the individual packets still have their seal,they are good to eat. Don't throw them away simply because of age. (no matter how old) -------

Keep them around! They season with age .

I love MRE's, sometimes during the summer I'll plan a camping trip just to have an excuse to buy some(read: 10x the needed amount for the trip).

I don't have MREs - if the power goes off for a long time, I'm going to loose everything in my freezer that we can't eat. I'll just fire up the grill and have a party - there's enough in there to feed me and my family and many more.
    Hard frozen in a home freezer, not the one in the refer, it will take more than a week to thaw if it is even close to full. Food will stay cold enough not to spoil for about another 5 days.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I remember getting US MRE in Germany, everything freeze dried, yuck!!! I still have the Chocolate brownie, that thing was so hard you could beat a man to death with it!!! We would tradethe MRE's to the kids for their dad's beer!!

I hear though that US MRE's are much better now, ours are based around the boil in the bag stuff, pretty good actually. Be aware that all hard rations get recalls on certain items, which may still be in the bags, you might want to check the internet for any recalls on the ones you have.

Links